What’s your favorite fly fishing pack?

mi_trouter

Reaction score
I started using a Vedavoo Seam at the end of 2018. Haven't used a vest or other bag (wading) since. Comfortable & out of the way.
(found the Beast size too large & heavy when fully loaded). Pricy, but, IMO well worth it.

ratherfish

Reaction score
I watched the video and even picked a couple others of theirs. I am not much of a net surfer so I find the links kinda handy. I'm pretty laid back though, ain't too much bothers me.

oh wait - the packs, I forgot about the packs. I don't like wearing anything, well, not nothing, I would have the water to myself though....anyway, I don't like packs because they just seem to be in the way. I do have a small one, a White River, and for what I carry in it it's fine. I have a vest and although I don't like wearing it, I find it more comfortable than a pack.

photoguy

Reaction score
I have 2 chest packs by the same manufacturer - Allen. Surprisingly affordable and reasonably well constructed and thought out.

The smaller of the 2 is the Allen Fall river, about $25.00 (amazon) and the larger (which is essentially 2 Fall river side-by-side) Allen Kootenai is about $35 through Walmart. Mine have been thrown around and fished often and hard and are holding up well. I was a little concerned that they might be cheaply made but that's not the case.

I've bounced back and forth between these and a more traditional vest as I didn't like the pack hanging out in front, (and I'm still undecided as to which is the best approach for me), so for short money these were a really good investment.

YYCFly

Reaction score
Backpack vests: If you check Fishpond, they have 2 different backpack "vest" on their store. Wasatch and Wildhorse backpack vests.

Way too expensive for my blood for I went with a knock off on a certain site for more than 80% the price. Still pretty solid.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Several of you have responded that you use the Umpqua 500 Overlook chest pack. Umpqua just released a new version of that pack, which I use most of the time though I am also experimenting with an Umpqua vest.

I was curious about the new Overlook and called a dealer who has them in stock. I found out that there is no difference in capacity or internal organization with the new version. The changes are basically on the outside to accommodate some of their new accessories. I thought that might be useful information if you are considering the new pack. I decided there was no reason to spend the money for.a new pack.

Don

Dodge

Reaction score

RMflyguy

Reaction score
I like to keep gear off my shoulders so I’ve gone the waist pack + lanyard route. Currently, my waist pack is the Simms Freestone Tactical which is a really nice, well constructed pack but it’s size has been limiting when I’m hiking in for a full day and needing a bit more gear...rain jacket, extra water, lunch, etc. So I’m researching slightly larger waist packs. Being a waist pack guy, I’m also wading deep enough that the pack eventually gets wet. I’m sure this where the sling packs shine! Anyway, it’s not really an issue if I’m going with minimal gear...the gear will dry. However, it becomes an issue with this extra gear... a wet jacket or even worse, soaked sandwich is less than ideal. So, I’m very interested in the waterproof waist packs. They’re pricy so my question is how well do they keep gear dry? I’m new to this forum and reading lots of posts and I’m sure this idea is covered but I’d appreciate any thoughts / recommendations of waterproof waist packs that really work and even those that don’t. Back to the OP’s question, I do give a thumbs up to the Simms Freestone Tactical especially for the minimalists out there.

boisker

Reaction score
I use the Simms dry creek z, pervious reincarnation (about 2 or 3 years old) although it looks pretty much the same... fully submersible was the only option as most of the rivers I fish require wading through deep pools...
I love it, it keeps everything completely dry, never had anything even slightly damp... also like the fact that when wading really deep the air trapped in the bag helps with feeling more balanced
at 10 litres I can carry enough for a day, including a lightweight waterproof jacket

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Right now I'm using a Fishpond switchback, so far so good.
I just bought this but have yet to use it. Bought it for quick after work fishing.
For long days involving miles of hiking ( most of my fishing) I use a Fishpond Bitch Creek pack. I have even over nighted with this pack by going very light. Love it.
IMG_20200504_114803_kindlephoto-674674110.jpg

hunter1

Reaction score
I have and still have a couple of Fishpond packs, I think there the best made and have good quality in them.

Acheron

Reaction score
Fishpond has made such unbelievably useful and quality products. I've used my Shooting Star backpack/chestpack combo for something like 15+ years. I bought a Fishpond waist pack now and went all out and bought one of their fancy nets which doubles as a staff. They continue to innovate quality stuff!

hunter1

Reaction score
Yeah, I just bought the mid size net. Haven't used it yet , but it's lovable already. You can use it for a staff, I'm getting the rubber cap for the handle end.

RMflyguy

Reaction score
I’m in need of a new net and was considering the mid length as well. Anyone know if that endcap stays on pretty well? Is it pretty effective as a staff In that length?

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Zimmer Slings are my favorite after many years of use, I have 3 for various techniques, just grab and go. I also have a Hyperlite Dapack that's worked out really well when I want to carry a bit more. I have a couple of old Wood River packs too because they're just so cool but I don't really use them much and a really old James-Scott (anybody remember them?) chest pack I purchased in the 70's that still a great piece of kit. Come to think of it that's way too much stuff.

scrapiron

Reaction score
Picked up a Fishpond Thunderhead sling pack late last year. I was using a waist pack, but I sure can load the Thunderhead up for a full day outing. Plus the sleeve for a net is very nice. One big compartment (well, a small outside pocket and an internal pocket) has me rooting around for stuff vs. the many small compartments of my waist pack. Of course, how many zippers did I open looking for an item (too many too often) cause I forgot what pocket it was in. :)

spm

Reaction score
I'm going back to a vest, this year. After trying a multitude of different bags, I don't think anything is as convenient as a vest. I just bought a lightweight quick-dry nylon vest on eBay. My challenge will be to keep it lightweight and not fill every pocket.

Thanks,
steve

flyfishsick

Reaction score
i'm a big fan of sling packs. i have an older Simms sling guide pack that i really like because of the 2 large zipper pockets. i'm think about trying out the Simms dry creek but can't decide between the backpack or the sling?

RMflyguy

Reaction score
i'm a big fan of sling packs. i have an older Simms sling guide pack that i really like because of the 2 large zipper pockets. i'm think about trying out the Simms dry creek but can't decide between the backpack or the sling?
My dry creek z waist pack just arrived. I haven't had it on the water yet, but the fit, features and build quality look excellent. Whether you pick the backpack or sling, I think you'll be happy.

flyfishsick

Reaction score
My dry creek z waist pack just arrived. I haven't had it on the water yet, but the fit, features and build quality look excellent. Whether you pick the backpack or sling, I think you'll be happy.
having a hard time finding the cloud camo grey? looks like Simms discontinued it???