What 3 wt reel?

10generation

Reaction score
Looking for a 3 wt reel for a G Loomis 3wt rod that is 7'6".

Purpose is fishing small mountain streams for trout.

So far looking at a Galvan brookie, Hardy Duchess, and Abel TR.

I know its basically a line holder, but I like a nice reel.

Very interested in how you all would think about choosing between three weight reels.

Thanks

okaloosa

Reaction score
I just ordered a Ross Colorado LT 3/4 for just $236 on sale. free shipping and no taxes from Trident. Ross, made in USA...all metal...not a plastic clicker like I believe some of the others have...great sound to the clicker IMO...
Abel TR is a beauty but I hare tight coils coming off small arbor reels....Galvan Brookie looks nice...that and the Sage Click II were my two alternatives...

Gimmeslack

Reaction score
3wt fishing is my favorite. I have several reels and selection depends very specifically on rod weight, so that I can balance the rod appropriately. I'll admit I also color/style match reels to rods. Of course things like drags are unnecessary and it really is just a line holder. In fact on an older Scott Murray Mtn I like a little Hardy Flyweight which many say is a 'toy'. 95% of my line management is with my hand, so it doesnt really matter and it happens to balance perfectly with the line of choice for that rod. The Abel is a great reel (I have TR1) as are pretty much all the Hardys. I don't know the Loomis rods, but would guess that the Dutchess is overkill (don't own Dutchess but do own Marquis)? A Featherweight makes a great 3wt tho I mostly use that on light 4wts. On 3wt Bamboo I fish and old Ballan (T&T) and a Perfect.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for the classic look. Of the reels currently on the market, Hardy is as classic as it gets. There are several to choose from: Marquis LWT, Duchess, even a Bougle if your wallet can stand it. Douglas Argus is also worth a look. Nice budget options include the LL Bean Double L or the Orvis Battenkill I or II, but you might be hankering for something a bit more upscale.

Of course, if you wanted to consider a discontinued model and were willing to wait until a nice one turns up, there are lots of others to keep an eye out for, including especially the English-made Orvis CFO 123, the USA-made CFO II, and the Hardy LRH Featherweight. (I don't care for the Asian-made Orvis CFOs with the perforated rim, purely for aesthetic reasons -- I'd much prefer a current Marquis LWT -- but they are functional reels and YMMV.)

If you don't want a classic spring-and-pawl, my favorite small reel with a sealed drag and a modern mid-arbor design would probably be a 3-Tand TF-40.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I know its basically a line holder, but I like a nice reel. Very interested in how you all would think about choosing between three weight reels.
For me, the primary factors would be looks, weight and price (I have nothing against people who choose to do so, and I like bling as much as the next person, but I personally won't break the bank on a 3 wt reel). Another thing, and this may be strange, but I like a period appropriate reel--i.e., if I have a vintage rod I like a vintage reel, modern rod then modern reel.

The point was made above about line coiling. Can definitely be a problem with many small reels. Of the 3 you mentioned, I would lean towards the Brookie. It's the cheapest, is light weight and has a larger arbor than most of its "peer" reels. You also might see if you can find a used Abel Creek. Sounds like you're not especially price sensitive, but though a bit small for my liking (2 7/8") if you do want to save some money the Double L mentioned above is a solid reel for the price--I use one on my "bushwhacking" 3 wt. Good luck to you.

osseous

Reaction score
Support your neighbors- Ross Colorado LT

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

myt1

Reaction score
The last time I checked, Steep and Cheap had the Colorado LT on sale.

I wonder if Ross is going to come out with a replacement?

My impression is that Steep and Cheap deals mainly in close-outs.

Last edited:

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Weight is the primary quality for me, YMMV. But I bought a 3 wt reel (don't remember the manufacturer anymore) way back when, and it was too heavy for my rod, and it just felt wrong. I did some research, discovered that a Redington Drift was among the lightest 3 wts available at the time, bought one as a trial experiment, and instantly the rod felt light and precise and was just a joy to cast and fish.

Again, YMMV, but I believe that how the rod and reel combination feels and performs is paramount over any other considerations. Though I also agree with a poster above in that tight little coils aren't ideal either.

proheli

Reaction score
The Sage Click 3-5 is very light. No drag like the models OP picked, but they are very pretty with probably the nicest finish I have seen and I’ve got several LTXs and Evo R, and those basically have the nicest finishes out there. I don’t know why Sage doesn’t put as nice a finish on their other reels. But they are very light and still $300 so you probably pay $100 for the reel and $200 for the finish. I think the Colorado LT has it own unique styling and you either like it or you don’t.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Yep beat me to it, I love my Sage click 3-4-5 larger arbor is nice

I also like my Redington drift 3/4 Discontinued- I`m using that on my 2wt and I still have my old MG-3 on my Wright and Mcgill.

10generation

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and just want to say thanks for all the input. This is great.

The point about the larger arbor really resonates, I've got a Hardy Flyweight that was my grandfathers and those coils can be small. Leaning toward the Brookie, will let you all know where I land.

Thanks again.

10generation

Reaction score
As I look at the Brookie - there is a 2/3 and a 3/4 - I'm leaning toward 2/3 given its a small stream rod, any tradeoffs I'm missing?

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I opted for the 3/4. Larger (so less coiling) and almost the same weight. I don't think it looks clunky, but that's obviously a subjective call. I think you'd be happy with either.

drehteufel

Reaction score
+1 for the Bookie in size 3/4. I use it on my Circa 279 and it‘s a perfect match. Be aware that the reel is silent...no clicker.

drehteufel

Reaction score
I saw this that showed it clicking? Youtube vid from suburban angler
I‘ve checked it...you are right, sorry. The reel is clicking in both directions, but it is a very discreet sound, almost silent. ;) I like it.
My Ross Colorado LT and Sage Click are both much louder.

grimowen

Reaction score
Redington zero for me in the 4-5...
This reel just plain works. You have alternative colours to us here in the UK, black and silver.
I have 2 and they take a beating, you'll struggle to care for a reel on " small streams"...
It may be too cheap for you though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk