What 3 wt reel?

ixoye

Reaction score
You don't think Ross Colorado and Sage Click are too big (diameter) for a short class 3 rod?

okaloosa

Reaction score
You don't think Ross Colorado and Sage Click are too big (diameter) for a short class 3 rod?
I think they would look stupid on a 6 ft Orvis Flea bamboo rod, but on any 6'6" to 7'8" graphite rod they would look great and function perfectly.
I am old school: bamboo just doesnt look right to me with a very large arbor modernistic reel even if it balances perfectly.....

proheli

Reaction score
I CAN see this point of view. The Click is a technical looking reel, and if you put it on a flat looking rod (color wise) it can look a smidge big, or at least not classic. Sometimes I see mine and go "oh, you should get a battinkill," but then i look at the whole out fit and think, wow that is perfect. I have a bronze Click on a 7' Hardy Sirrus glass, that is spicy mustard semi-gloss. Very attractive I think. But if a guy had in mind like an olive Battinkill, which is smaller and heavier, well that would be a very good look, classic. I can see why a guy would want that. 95% of the time you are hand stripping in a fish with this kind of outfit anyway, so the large arbor vs. small arbor argument can be less relevant unless you really have some lunkers in your small streams, IMO. So you might as well just pick the one your want to look at. Pick the one you think is most attractive. Pick the one you're happy to see every time you put it on the rod. It's not like you can't return it and try something else.

osseous

Reaction score
Don't you mean CFO? I mean, if you're gonna covet a classic...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tgunz64

Reaction score
I have a Galvan Brookie 2/3 on a 6’-6” 2wt and it’s great. Colorado’s look nice as well. That’s what I was deciding on between those 2. Went Galvan because cost was better. But with the Ross sale going on a Colorado is $236. I just ordered a Animas tonight for the same price for a new 5wt.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Ross Colorado LT. Very well made and a great company.
I have one on my Mystic 7' 3 wt and one on my Dufour bamboo. Beautiful reels.

bluewinged46er

Reaction score
I have owned a bunch of reels in the 3-4 weight range. The one I have enjoyed the most is my Bauer MXP 2. I think it is discontinued, but it is just a very solid piece of equipment. I don't think I have ever had a fish bigger than 12 inches on it since I mostly fished it in the smokey mountains. I may get it out on a tailwater if this rain ever stops and see how it handles a bigger fish.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I do cared about looks but primarily I take neutral balance and appropriateness to habitat in mind way before brand or reputation. What model Loomis do you have? While I favor performance oriented reels even on my 4-weights, for a small stream 7 1/2' rod like my DART, I'm fishing a 1980's vintage CFO III.

Among contemporary spring and pawl reels, depending on balancing weight, there are som beauties; Douglas Argus in perhaps the tops, as is Hardy's Duchess and Abel. The Ross Colorado is handsomely built and on sale too. Weight comes first.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Looking for a 3 wt reel for a G Loomis 3wt rod that is 7'6".

Purpose is fishing small mountain streams for trout.

So far looking at a Galvan brookie, Hardy Duchess, and Abel TR.

I know its basically a line holder, but I like a nice reel.

Very interested in how you all would think about choosing between three weight reels.

Thanks

If cost is not an issue the Abel TR 2/3 would be a great match for your Loomis 7'6" 3wt, 4.1 oz and 3" diameter is just almost perfectly aligned in all ways for your rod. For what it's worth, you can disregard any concern over line coiling on a new TR as the 2018 and newer TR's are large arbor, unlike their predecessor TR's (Light,1,2,3). IMO, The build quality and sound are unrivaled by the other two considerations you list and I own, or did own, all three of the reels you have listed. The Galvan Brookie is a nice reel and good bang for the buck but requires tension adjustment by set screw...it's also light...which on some ultra-light rods is a benefit but your Loomis is a more standard weight 7'6" rod and I think you will find the extra fractional ounces a benefit for balance in hand. The Dutchess is a beautiful classic styled reel, but to me belongs on a matching vintage/classic styled rod....assuming your Loomis is a newer model (like an NRX-LP, etc.) and you would be dealing with some smaller arbor concerns with a Dutchess (if that's a factor to you).