what are your favorite flies?

zjory

Reaction score
This time of year it’s a black beetle (peacock dubbing underbody is key) on lakes and a Takahopper on streams.

WWKimba

Reaction score
I, like many Great Lakes area fisherman always keep this pattern in our box as a Top Ten goto fly. It's called an Indian Streamer. It's a white man's interpretation of a PREhistoric Iroquois fishing lure - an avian bone on a hook! Take any 3 to 6 XL long streamer hook, black tying thread, white wool yarn and 4-5 strands of peacock herl. Lay a smooth thread base on the hook shank, tie in the yarn, wrap to the front and tie down, tie in the herl and finish the head with a whip finish - DO NOT CUT YOUR THREAD YET! Tie the herl to the top of the body with open spirals of thread all the way to the back of the yarn and finish with a couple whip finishes, cut your thread and treat front and back tie-ins with head cement - DONE! Quick, easy and deadly - a triple threat!

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I, like many Great Lakes area fisherman always keep this pattern in our box as a Top Ten goto fly. It's called an Indian Streamer. It's a white man's interpretation of a PREhistoric Iroquois fishing lure - an avian bone on a hook! Take any 3 to 6 XL long streamer hook, black tying thread, white wool yarn and 4-5 strands of peacock herl. Lay a smooth thread base on the hook shank, tie in the yarn, wrap to the front and tie down, tie in the herl and finish the head with a whip finish - DO NOT CUT YOUR THREAD YET! Tie the herl to the top of the body with open spirals of thread all the way to the back of the yarn and finish with a couple whip finishes, cut your thread and treat front and back tie-ins with head cement - DONE! Quick, easy and deadly - a triple threat!
Could you post a pic of this fly? I fish around the Great Lakes region and have never heard of this.

WWKimba

Reaction score
I don't have a camera (that I can find!!) but I just participated in a swap on the Fly Tying Forum and there's a picture there to give you an idea. This tie has a layer of optional bucktail under the peacock and a gill hotspot (also optional) but you should be able to see the basic pattern here - http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/topic/90989-classic-bucktail-swap/page/5/ - in the second row, second one in. Hope this helps.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I don't have a camera (that I can find!!) but I just participated in a swap on the Fly Tying Forum and there's a picture there to give you an idea. This tie has a layer of optional bucktail under the peacock and a gill hotspot (also optional) but you should be able to see the basic pattern here - http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/topic/90989-classic-bucktail-swap/page/5/ - in the second row, second one in. Hope this helps.
Thank-you! All of the patterns in that post looked like fish catchers!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I don't have any single favorite, as I have many. Also depends on what species I want to target. This fly is one of my own, and I've used it to catch several fish species, so am fond of fishing with it. It's not a difficult fly to tie, and is intended to be a stonefly nymph, but may be mistaken for other things, such as a crayfish, Hellgrammite, and possibly even a drowned cricket. I once caught a Rainbow, Brown, SM Bass and LM bass on it in the same day, same stream. :giggle:

Attachments

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
You guys realize we're on a thread that is over 7 years old right?

But what the heck, it's like being ask which child you like best in a way. For me the flies below have become about all I use for rainbow and steelhead here.

For the past 6 years now all my flies are very similar to those. You cannot tell from an image but those are made from Cashmere Goat and Arctic Fox hair and they wiggle and swim like little fish or leeches.

trev

Reaction score
Old thread? ha, it was revived only 4 years ago.
Favorite fly? I like them all, ...
Just one that could be a favorite; I got no pictures but I reckon you've all seen a "woolly worm", I think they used to be Palmer Flies, they fish on top they fish on the bottom they can be weighted or not and they imitate everything from a midge to grasshopper to a shiner. They can be tied on any old hook with whatever material you have in any color and any size and I have never been completely skunked when I fished one.

JoJer

Reaction score

The foam bodies on these achieve near-neutral buoyancy and the yellow color seems to work well here. When they drift to the side of the water, they're acting like stones migrating out of the water.

These are an easy tie and also seem to work well on heavily fished, slow water. On SM water, they come right up from underneath and often clear the water.

Virgin Cork

Reaction score
These rubber legs are late summer/fall killers in waters with overhanging shrubs and trees. I cast up tight to the bank or at least as far under the overhanging foliage as possible. Natural drift or very slow retrieve with an occasional slight twitch. This is one fly that rewards a missed cast. If your cast ends up in a branch, gently wiggle it loose if possible, let it plop in the water and get ready! You can make these light or heavy, wooly or thin, add sparkle threads, hackles, the variations are almost endless. I always have a variety of colors, but find the mottled brown and greens work most consistently. I've caught trout in both Americas on these and smallmouth can't resist them.
leggy bugs flies.jpg