What are your limits ,Boundaries

Ard

Manager
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I don't watch videos but every now and then I make one. The clip I posted above would have been way better had I taped going up there earlier in the day but ................ When I pushed off and turned the bow upstream there was so much ice coming at me that it was hard to see how I would thread my way through it. The rain was pretty intense then too so I decided it would be better to get going rather than mess with a go pro while dodging the slabs so I just bolted upstream.

I stayed up there for hours because I was sure that I would catch a big steelhead trout. The water was low and that meant I could find them easier if there were any up there so I stayed at it for about 4 hours or more. I really forget what time I went up or how long I stayed but it was one of those things where I was committed once I parked that boat and assembled a rod so I stayed at it until it started getting dark and snowing hard.

The bulk of the ice was coming down when I went up but for a couple hours while I fished and waded around different runs it was still comming hard. I learned not to do that years ago but had caught some really beautiful fish that fall and was convinced that there was one more for me if I'd just go before the freeze ...................... The water was open enough to fish. It wasn't like when there's so many slabs and slush that you can't get the line in the water, yes I've done that too, duh. it's those slabs, maybe 4 X 8 like sheet rock or plywood size coming at a couple miles an hour or better that will knock you down if you get one in the back of the knees. You gotta watch out in spring also because that's when trees that fell on the ice upriver or along shore are coming down. Kinda takes the fun out of things after you see the first one coming because you have no idea whether that's it or are there half a dozen more.

PaAdk

Reaction score
Safety wise: 20 years ago I would routinely wade up to my chest. Now I don’t like to get above mid-thigh. I won’t wade further if I can’t see the bottom. I often use a wading stick. As mentioned by @frickerdog I’ve considered getting wading pants and moving to a lumbar pack just to remind myself not to wade too deep. There is very little chance I’ll go fishing if it’s below freezing - something I used to do all the time.

Generally, I’ve grown tired of the crowds and this has become somewhat of a boundary. I haven’t been out on opening day in years because of this. I’ve realized the solitude is becoming as important as the fishing itself.

As a concession to all this, I now tie flies at least as much as I fish.

philly

Reaction score
At least we don't have to worry about snow run-off or ice floating down the stream. Generally, around here we have decent weather by April and opening day. I've seen snow, rain, cold and hot over the years. Most of the streams are stocked and they're not very large. A heavy rain will make them unfishable. The main reason I won't go out is it's Opening Day. And the the stocked streams are a zoo. For years, before I took up fly fishing my buddy and I would go out fishing, anywhere except where they stocked trout. We'd hit the Delaware River, or a local lake or pond, maybe drive up to the Poconos to fish for chain pickerel. If I'm planning on fly fishing and the weather and stream conditions are favorable, I'll head to the only wild trout stream in the area. Why would I do that? It's catch and release only, you can only use flies or lures, and the fish in the stream are contaminated with PCBs. It seems that even fly fishermen like to keep trout occasionally, so it's not very crowded.
Generally, if a stream is muddy or running high I won't go fishing or wading. I don't need the aggravation of fishing muddy water. I'm getting too old to wade by myself even if the water is clear. I need someone fishing with me who is downstream who can grab me as I float by.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Right now we're in a bit of a cold snap which should make the ice fisherman happy.
We had first safe ice on only one inland lake this past weekend. 3" of clear smooth ice. Caught a ton of panfish, and a few big bass. 4 different groups playing hockey on the nice smooth ice that didn't need any work to be skate worthy, it had me wishing I brought my skates, much faster way to check tip ups being able to fly back and fourth on skates! lol

Always fun when the ice is crystal clear and not too thick, and you can see a fish you're reeling in even 5' down. Something about that just gets me going!

mike126

Reaction score
At 61 my limits are definitely more conservative than years ago. I stay off the streams when the flows are fairly high (over 350cfs) and don't wade past my waist. I don't mind the cold above 32 degrees but below that I'll probably stay home and tie flies. I avoid crowds so I don't fish on the weekends during prime season.

inshore_man

Reaction score
cfs comparisons between different streams are worthless, you have to know from experience what a certain cfs looks like for a particular station for each stream you fish. the only deal breaker for me is severe wind (usually sustained 20+mph)

alfaromeo

Reaction score
right now the american river is at 6000 cfs... it becomes fishable and wadable at 3000 cfs.. but in 2017 the river was bookin' along at 35000 cfs... hint.. dont go near the river at that cfs

Acheron

Reaction score
My limits change depending on the day.

Larger changes I've made over time include
  • I no longer jump across deep holes in the river allowing the current to carry me across
  • I'm overall more careful about river crossings. If the water hits my thighs and is pushing hard, I don't push through it like I used to.
  • I'm much more willing to leave flies in trees instead of climbing trees, bending branches 20ft down, etc. to retrieve rigs. The caveat to this is if I just re-rigged or tied on, in that case I'll be damned if that tree gets to keep my rig!

Those are a few I can think of.

AndrewFromBoston

Reaction score
It has to be fun. Right now it's 8 degrees here, which is not fun. If high water and difficult banks make the water unapproachable, that's not fun either. If the weather is good enough to not get in the way, and I can cast without worrying about being knocked over, I'll fish it.

tcorfey

Reaction score

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
Funny how weather can change everything, from cold ,frigid and windy then we get to hot,dry and low waters ....july august.... ugh it is a constant changebut when waters are to warm i wont fish and stress the trout ......besides its just to damn hot ,lol ....fall usually peaks its head around the corner soon enough , my favorite season to fish