What color reel?

bucktail

Reaction score
There seem to be alot of diferent color reels out there what do you guys think looks best? In my search for a new outfit I am trying to figure out which color looks best on a reel. Even though its different from one person to the next I am curious to hear what you guys(and gals) think. At this point in time I belive the redington rise in burnt orange looks awsome but thats me.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
The orange redington is sweet! I almost bought one but decided to go with a red Allen Trout reel since it matched the rod better. Im all about festive colors with reels, i painted one really nuts looking. It has color shifting paint on it, so pending on the direction you hold it and look at it its many colors

stl_geoff

Reaction score
lets see it!:D
What my color shifter?

Mostly blue here

Dark purple and green now

i need to take some more, it turns all sorts of crazy colors. I also painted the spool of my Sage 3850CF with the green so its changes from green to orangeish to rusty purple

mbphotos54

Reaction score
I plan to at some point airbrush my alphaII, any ab paint with auto clear cote should do fine. A friend of mine has a mountain bike that shifty blue. is sweet.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Here are a few options :D

While my current favorite is my red Allen Trout 3/4, I also have a purely aesthetic hankering for one of those Abel Brown Trout patterned reels... my budget gives that idea two thumbs way down however!

The advantage to the Allen Trout reel colors is they come on a great reel at a great price. While you may originally be getting one cus you think the red looks awesome threaded on to your matching rod, the performance, the warranty, and the customer service you get with the Allen gear makes it totally worth it. And again, the red just looks downright cool!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I hate to sound like some sort of color coordinating fashion designer, but it depends on the rod you are putting it on. I'm building two Thomas and Thomas Spey rods right now. Both for me, selfish stinker I am. Both are on blue blanks. One however has agreen tint to it when the sun hits it. The other is an almost Teal color when the sun hits it. Both are the same dark blue in the shade. I bought a Green Spey seat based on the color of the first blank before the second blank showed up. I scraped the idea of using that seat the minute I looked at the second blank. The same goes for reel color.

If the question only pertains to preference then the answer is depends on the color of the rod. If I have a reel I like and I can get it in a color that matches the rod I'll go with that. If not I don't care if the color is not matching. I use these to fish, not walk a cat walk. I did get new waders and a haircut so I can do the catwalk if you want though. :D

bucktail

Reaction score
I hate to sound like some sort of color coordinating fashion designer, but it depends on the rod you are putting it on. I'm building two Thomas and Thomas Spey rods right now. Both for me, selfish stinker I am. Both are on blue blanks. One however has agreen tint to it when the sun hits it. The other is an almost Teal color when the sun hits it. Both are the same dark blue in the shade. I bought a Green Spey seat based on the color of the first blank before the second blank showed up. I scraped the idea of using that seat the minute I looked at the second blank. The same goes for reel color.

If the question only pertains to preference then the answer is depends on the color of the rod. If I have a reel I like and I can get it in a color that matches the rod I'll go with that. If not I don't care if the color is not matching. I use these to fish, not walk a cat walk. I did get new waders and a haircut so I can do the catwalk if you want though. :D

Hey I hear ya what is most important is function, If I can catch a fish on it thats all that matters. I was just putting it out there to get some opinions just thought it would be cool to hear.:D

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Exactly.

Funny how you's see a guy in a camo shirt and bright reel. What's with that?
Damn, that is totally me... :D My all-time favorite clothing item is a Sitka primaloft zip-up, but they only make it in their proprietary camo schemes and not in solids. So in any of the colder months, there I am in a camo top with a bright colored reel. Don't get me wrong, I understand going stealthily and trying to limit flash and such, but in most my fishing situations, I'm not going up against super spooky fish. I guess it doesnt help that when I have money to spend, it's more likely to go in to my gear than my clothing, so the most comfortable, applicable stuff I have is what gets worn :/ On top of that, when I have spent money on outdoor clothing in the past, it was when I was upgrading my hunting gear to the most comfortable, foul-weather-combating, best gear I could afford... However, I will take all donations toward getting me more acceptable fly-fishing attire!

I present exhibit A to the jury:

Last edited:

mbphotos54

Reaction score
jsut like the bright green jacket I used during the winter.. it matched my green reel, and i highly dought it made any change in my fishing. might as well have cool looking stuff.

sinc

Reaction score
Silver is most traditional and looks great. Black avoids glare that may scare fish. Gold looks like you hang out with the Orvis crowd. Orange is obviously immoral and a felony in many states. And green is strictly for Amphibian-Americans.

mojo

Reaction score
I like silver, black, gold, orange and green along with the torqouise/red color that gatortransplant has. And I have all the colors except orange, and I'm waiting for Allen to come out with that one. So Dr. Sinc, what's your analysis?