What Did You Buy Today?

Joef2661

Reaction score
I bought a sumo rod holder for my rods. A vault is way too much but the sumo rod holder works perfectly. Such a pain in the ass to have to break down my gear everytime I wanted to get in my truck and go to a new spot.

Also a sweet skittles holder.

And I Bought a new backpack. Patagonia Storm Surge pack. It's a real nice roll top pack with plenty of room to carry a lot of gear and keep it dry. Nice Rod holder on the side and some extra loops to put a couple more.

Happy with the purchases.
20200812_081109.jpgScreenshot_20201010-170654_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
An interesting rod just appeared on eBayuk ..... and sold pretty quickly. ;)
It's a Sage GFL III 11' 3", #6 RPLB.
According to the Sage 1991 catalogue this rod was then only available as a blank. It weighed a paltry 2 5/16 oz!
The given photos are poor, so poor that one can't tell the quality of the whippings, but it's a rod I'd be happy to rebuild if necessary, perhaps even as a Switch rod. If the final build is light enough though, it might make a terrific s-h Loch-Style boat rod for grilse and sea trout.

I'd be interested to know if the 11' 3" #6 was ever released as a factory rod?
Edit: Yup, they did. I've just seen one on Thomas Turner's site (sold). The asking price was £249! The built rod's weight was 3 5/8 oz. Very nice for an 11-3!

Last edited:

cooutlaw

Reaction score
One of the disadvantages of being a "corporate" guy is extensive travel.....yup even during this "period" I've been a regular in airports throughout the country.....one of the advantages to being a corporate guy is getting to "visit" different parts of the country/world and occasionally having enough free time to hit fly shops....always enjoyable in different parts of the country.......what I have found over the years is that regional inventory can work to your benefit - IE: if a shop has an item that would never be highly desirable in that region of the country in inventory...it sits there a looooong time....so when I've wanted something that is extinct in my neck of the woods...I always look for "treasures" perhaps left over and sitting in other parts of the country that could potentially have items that are beyond stale inventory for them.....sometimes really really stale.....like two-three year old products....well after the items have been discontinued or closed out.......so as I was "chatting" with a distant (from my home area) shop that I stopped in at.....and......I stumbled upon a GEM.....that I had previously owned, regrettably sold, and have been looking for ever since.....NEVER would I have thought a few years after being closed out and discontinued that I would find this extinct rod collecting dust happily brand new in it's box, never sold, never cast, never registered....and brand new from an authorized dealer's inventory.....BUT Looooookeeeeeee what I found :). The shop had the full series still in stock....said they never really sold many of them....I almost anteed up for the whole mess of them but logic, shipping, and limited airplane carry-on restrictions dictated otherwise.....so did the shops unwillingness to discount from the two-three years ago list price......that's ok...I still feel like I found a treasure at a garage sale. So I brought this back with me from my business trip....I'll be home a couple days and then I'll fly back out again....perhaps another shop visit while I'm on a hot streak?20201017_224422.jpg

frickerdog

Reaction score
One of the disadvantages of being a "corporate" guy is extensive travel.....yup even during this "period" I've been a regular in airports throughout the country.....one of the advantages to being a corporate guy is getting to "visit" different parts of the country/world and occasionally having enough free time to hit fly shops....always enjoyable in different parts of the country.......what I have found over the years is that regional inventory can work to your benefit - IE: if a shop has an item that would never be highly desirable in that region of the country in inventory...it sits there a looooong time....so when I've wanted something that is extinct in my neck of the woods...I always look for "treasures" perhaps left over and sitting in other parts of the country that could potentially have items that are beyond stale inventory for them.....sometimes really really stale.....like two-three year old products....well after the items have been discontinued or closed out.......so as I was "chatting" with a distant (from my home area) shop that I stopped in at.....and......I stumbled upon a GEM.....that I had previously owned, regrettably sold, and have been looking for ever since.....NEVER would I have thought a few years after being closed out and discontinued that I would find this extinct rod collecting dust happily brand new in it's box, never sold, never cast, never registered....and brand new from an authorized dealer's inventory.....BUT Looooookeeeeeee what I found :). The shop had the full series still in stock....said they never really sold many of them....I almost anteed up for the whole mess of them but logic, shipping, and limited airplane carry-on restrictions dictated otherwise.....so did the shops unwillingness to discount from the two-three years ago list price......that's ok...I still feel like I found a treasure at a garage sale. So I brought this back with me from my business trip....I'll be home a couple days and then I'll fly back out again....perhaps another shop visit while I'm on a hot streak?View attachment 27027
Typical fisherman...doesn’t want to reveal his secret spot. :p