What fins are you using?

Ross_S

Reaction score
So, today I was kicking along doing my thing about 200 yards from shore. I was basically trolling a sculpin pattern. I had to throw a wiz, but right about the time I headed for shore I hooked a pretty good fish. After a good fight with an I'm guessing about a 4 and a half lbs. brown I got to head to shore. I had a good 250 yards to go, and I made it. But as I kicked as hard as I could I wondered if there were any fins that really out performed when it comes to covering water?

desmobob

Reaction score
I have two pair... a pair of Force Fins and my large SCUBA fins. I almost always grab the Force Fins. They don't move as much water as the SCUBA fins, but seem ideal for float tubing and kick boating. And I can actually do some walking (with care and caution) in them whereas with the long SCUBA fins on, I only dare to maybe take a few steps backwards, and that is really only safe to do on a flat sandy beach.

Acheron

Reaction score
I went with the Outcast because they are 1/2 the price of the Force fins and look to be the same design.

I cannot compare Outcast and Force fins though, never tried the Force brand. They (the Force fins) get extremely great reviews though.

What I can say is these Outcast fins are much better than the standard flat over-the-boot fins pictured below.

Here is the flat style. I have this style also and they work, but not as well.

Last edited:

dharkin

Reaction score
I use force fins, but they are a bit expensive. They also require a stocking foot so you have to ditch your boots before you can put them on, (at least the ones that I have)

joshw

Reaction score
Force fins here as well. Have the ones that go over boots, the floatube model. I got a set of factory blems in blue direct from them years ago at a decent price. The blems are purely cosmetic discoloration in the molding.

stenacron

Reaction score
I purchased the Outcast Power Kick float tube fins from Sportsman's Warehouse for $65.00 pre-COVID (currently running $90.00 in store here in Utah).
zz fins.JPG

Fins are great... straps are total garbage. The straps came apart and I almost lost both fins first trip out! Replaced the straps with better quality versions from REI and zero complaints since. The high ankle straps (not shown in the photo here) saved my fins from disappearing when the cheap straps came unraveled.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I have a pair of Bucks Bags fins . I cant say how they are as I've never used them but they fit my Korkers nicely . They also float so thats a plus .

gyser

Reaction score
I use scuba fins and need to upgrade. Looking into Force and a few of the others listed here.

desmobob

Reaction score
Force fins are a disappointment for SCUBA but excellent for float tubing. And SCUBA fins are excellent for SCUBA and not the best for float tubing... 🙂

patrick62

Reaction score
I use inexpensive swim fins for my pontoon boat in a warmwater lake. On the rare occasions it's too chilly to get my legs wet I have a larger set that fit over wader booties.

One time years ago one of the pontoons started leaking badly, and I had to beach the thing at the nearest spot, which was the woods. The walk out in bare feet was not fun.

Ever since I have brought my water sneakers along. I just loop the laces on the rear support bar and tie the two shoes together. Barring a great deal of bouncing around, it works.

I have tried various fins that fit over wading boots and found all of them lacking in the strap department.

Acheron

Reaction score
I use inexpensive swim fins for my pontoon boat in a warmwater lake. On the rare occasions it's too chilly to get my legs wet I have a larger set that fit over wader booties.
This works great for warm water lakes! Those scuba/snorkel fins move water well. When I had a belly boat I would usually use those.

One time years ago one of the pontoons started leaking badly, and I had to beach the thing at the nearest spot, which was the woods. The walk out in bare feet was not fun.

Ever since I have brought my water sneakers along. I just loop the laces on the rear support bar and tie the two shoes together. Barring a great deal of bouncing around, it works.
Ahh, the joys of fishing! ;) :D :D

I have tried various fins that fit over wading boots and found all of them lacking in the strap department.
The basic over the boot fin straps I modified and shortened them for exactly that reason. The Outcast fins I have now do allow me to cinch them down extremely tight. I forgot my wading boots one time and was able to wear my normal walking/running shoes because I could cinch the straps down so well.

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
I swear by Force Fins! Tried a lot of others, have mine for over 35 years now. I have both but only use the stocking foot version, I can creep forward “walking” sight fishing/casting for sipping fish.

tpo

Reaction score
Outcast Power kick fins here too. I've tried three different fins and these are the best. Someone mentioned problems with the straps, they've worked well for me, easy on/off and very secure.

I'm not a young buck any more and I've been known to get cramps after hours of tubing in cold water. As a result, I use my Outcast Scout frameless pontoon (with oars, although I fin the vast majority of the time) most of the time and sometimes carry a kayak paddle in the back of my tube lest I have a cramp when I'm farther out there and the wind picks up.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Yesterday I used a float tube for the first time (see my new thread). I used my old ScubaPro Jetfins and was able to move around quite well. But they are heavy to carry and wouldn't fit over any footwear that I could use with my waders, I just wore them over my waders without boots. If I had to get out and walk any distance I would have been in trouble.