What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Dee Monkey Fly yellow throat;

I made these last night, they are my take on the Dee Monkey Fly on tube. They are relatively simple but have proven to be worth having and having more than two. I'll make 8 more so that if I were to God forbid, lose one or two I won't be left with no Monkey with which to spank the fish :

What you need (or similar) and how to..................

Tube: Pro Tube Micro Tube
Extension Tubing: Clear and cut to desired length
Body: Pro Tube Drop Weight 60 grain
Throat: Yellow hackle fibers, shown are burnt goose dyed yellow.
Wing: Black Angora Goat; under fur used as underwing then a small bunch of the long fine hair over top.
Lateral highlight: One strand of tinsel each side
Topping: 4 or 5 strands of Peacock herl
Cheeks: Jungle Cock real or die cut

Close up of drop weight body;

These are simple ties but I glue each step for durability and that slows things down tying them. They have a sleek small but long profile and it is this type fly that I am catching more rainbows and steelhead on than other patterns that came before them in my use repertoire so I'm staying the course.

When they are in the water under tension and crossing currents they will undulate in accordance with the amount of speed at which they are traveling. Whatever they look like, leech fish, USO (unknown swimming object) the fish will grab them. I find that by using a very short body / tube and a long flexible clear extension tube it becomes much easier to tie your jam knots because only one made way to long will leave the hook dangling. The hooks tuck neatly into the tube and there is no fouling between hook and materials.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Another sparse and simple tube, Wilkinson Sunray.

I've posted this before but I'm making replacement flies for my fall box. There's a high probability that between these and the Monkey flies it's all I'll use. Of course that's always subject to change...........

Tube: Pro Tube Micro with 60 grain drop weight for body
Wing: Sparse Stacks of hot pink hair, kingfisher blue and black
Topping: Peacock herl
Cheeks: Jungle Cock Eye with single strand of holographic tinsel
Hackle: Guinea Foul

flytie09

Reaction score
An Orange Heron Variant....

IMG_0171.JPG

Howell Variant

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
This is probably all I'll get to before my November Salmon River trip.... we'll see.... I've always had luck with orange.

IMG_0086.JPG

spey flies 1st try.JPG

Fish On!

ft09

Last edited:

ejsell

Reaction score
Another sparse and simple tube, Wilkinson Sunray.

I've posted this before but I'm making replacement flies for my fall box. There's a high probability that between these and the Monkey flies it's all I'll use. Of course that's always subject to change...........

Tube: Pro Tube Micro with 60 grain drop weight for body
Wing: Sparse Stacks of hot pink hair, kingfisher blue and black
Topping: Peacock herl
Cheeks: Jungle Cock Eye with single strand of holographic tinsel
Hackle: Guinea Foul
You should video and post some of these to your Youtube channel. I'd definitely watch them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I have to leave again for awhile to close things down for the season at the cabin. After I come home I'll need to tie some more for the coming fishing and will put the camera at the vise. I'll try to tie fast because I hate editing video :) My guess is that if I lay out materials for each pattern I can do this without you falling asleep or going out for a beer while it's running.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Spent three days swinging and skating flies just got back. Had some good grabs on the Pincherry tube and the fish bit most of the heron off, but I just couldn't get them to stay on.

I fished the black/gold Plexi wet fly on a dry line surface with the fly waking on the swing and had two fish come up for it and follow but ultimately refuse my wet fly.

I did hook up on a black marabou tube with blue angle hair, a simple tube 3" long size and got savage take near the end of a long swing, speyco clicking zzzz zzzz. And the fish came out of the river like a rocket cartwheeled and came off. Beautiful chrome fish, no stripe or spots fresh from superior.

the river was pretty murky I switched to black near the end of the last day and got that one on.

I'll be back to tying here soon. Gotta catch up at home now. We got lots of pouring rain and the rivers are dangerous and blown for the next week, no go this weekend.

flytie09

Reaction score
Had some more time to tie up a few more. I hope to get a half dozen of these done this week. A black feather wing Spey style fly - Syd Glasso Black Heron variant.

IMG_0206.jpg

Cheers.....

ft09

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
Blue Glasso style Spey fly. I had been accumulating these blue feathers all these years. Now I've finally found the perfect use for them.

image.jpg

Hook - Mustad SL7 2/0 Salmon Hook
Tag - medium oval silver tinsel
Body - large blue holo tinsel rear w/ blue hare dubbing front
Rib - medium oval silver tinsel
Hackle - Blue Rooster Cape Spey Hackle
Throat - Blue Schlappen hackle under a Blue Guinea Fowl Plume
Wing - 6x paired Blue Rooster Saddles
Eye - Jungle Cock
Head - Blue thread w/ Loon UV Cure Resin

ft09

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Blue Glasso style Spey fly. I had been accumulating these blue feathers all these years. Now I've finally found the perfect use for them.

Hook - Mustad SL7 2/0 Salmon Hook
Tag - medium oval silver tinsel
Body - large blue holo tinsel rear w/ blue hare dubbing front
Rib - medium oval silver tinsel
Hackle - Blue Rooster Cape Spey Hackle
Throat - Blue Schlappen hackle under a Blue Guinea Fowl Plume
Wing - 6x paired Blue Rooster Saddles
Eye - Jungle Cock
Head - Blue thread w/ Loon UV Cure Resin

ft09
Now this is a 'Sooo Yes!' for upper Rogue River late Summer Runs.

flytie09

Reaction score
A fluorescent green version.....

Rendered_Content-_A789_F59_A-1070-4322-95_B9-_B582_D8314_A9_A.jpg

ft09

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
No Name White Spey Fly (Glasso Style Variant)

Hook - 1/0 Mustad Salmon
Body - 1/2 Silver Tinsel rear and 1/2 White angora front
Rib - Silver embossed tinsel (medium)
Hackle - White Spey hackle
Wing - 4x paired white hackle tips
Collar - Natural mallard flank feather
Eye - Jungle Cock
Head - White 8/0 thread w/ Loon U.V. coating

View attachment 12266

I’d say it will make a good minnow pattern for Great Lakes Steelhead. A shiner, dace or chub maybe?

ft09

flytie09

Reaction score
A couple more feather wings......Purple and Blue w/ an Orange and Pink.

IMG_1293.JPG

plugs

Reaction score
Would this be considered a Spey Style fly? :noidea:
orangejulius.jpg

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Close enough for me because you can Spey cast that fly. The Spey style though is somewhat different. Just scroll back through what FT is posting and they are Spey style ties.

They look like these in general,

Tying the Spey styles or classics in general takes practice, you are on the right path so keep at it. One thing that helps is to build on the correct hook. I tie most of my small and medium size on old Partridge Bartleet hooks, that's what the Jock O' Dee is tied to, the Ackroyd is on another British hook but I forget what they are.

Beside being built on long shank hooks they generally have just 5 turns of ribbing, some have hackle palmered along all the ribbing and some palmered on just the last 3 turns on the front of the body. Those hackles are usually long fibered types like burnt goose or some other long fibered feather. I use goose because I have a bunch of it. I don't know all the particulars of the design of them but those are a few. An easy way to learn is to find a couple that you have the materials for then work from a picture so you can match the proportioning on yours.

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
It's close enough for me. Speyish or kinda spey....... it's all chicken in the end. I'm not a fly snob......but it's fun to learn the history of our sport.

The use of the word 'Spey' is however overused and has muddied the true definition. Spey this...spey that... spey casts, spey rods, spey hackle,spey style, spey variation...... My head hurts.

I am not an expert in the matter...but have read as much material as I could find on the subject. Most notable is from the author John Shewey...who extensively researched the history of the Spey fly for his book 'Spey and Dee Flies'. He defines what a Spey fly, Spey style, Dee or neither are. He admits ownership along with Dave McNeese in the mislabeling and confusion from their time spent tying Spey style flies together in Dave's shop back in 1980s....calling everything Spey Flies. He tries to set it all straight.

I suggest checking out April Vokey's interview of John Shewey......he describes these subtle nuances and history of the 'Spey Fly' better than I.

YouTube

A true 'Spey' fly originated by famed ghillie Geordie Shanks at Gordon castle on the River Spey in Northern Scotland. A true Spey fly is tied sparse with long flowing hackle. The wings are dressed to “produce a sort of hump-backed effect. Usually with bronze mallard. Hackle is Heron or from the Spey cock... which was a rooster bred by ghillies along the River Spey which were a mix of two types of birds, the cockerel or rooster from Hamburg. The breed has since been lost...but it was essentially an extra large rooster schlappen feather.

The Lady Caroline, Reeach (Riach) and King series are examples.... like this Gold Riach.

View attachment 15038

Some additional info on the subject from Colin Innes's amazing website - Spey Flies

Most of what I am tying are Spey style flies. What the definition of 'Spey style' means to me is a modern twist of the original pattern. Your imagination is your only limitation. It could be a herl wing, feather wing, slip wing,or married wings tied in the Spey style vane with long flowing hackles. This could be schlappen, pheasant rump, rhea, blue eared pheasant, bleached goose, modern spey hackle, marabou, legal heron or the like......

To me... flies posted in this sub-forum includes your wonderful flies. Any large fly swung with a single or double hand rod for large Salmonoids is appropriate. This could be a Syd Glasso style, hair wing, tube fly, Intruder, streamer, Spider, Gaudy Atlantic Salmon fly, Spey, Dee or variants of any.

Heck if you create a nice pattern and swing for suckers from the ditch in your back yard.....feel free to share it.

Keep up the great work....I enjoy seeing your creations.

ft09 - Mike

Last edited: