What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
As has become the new normal, nothing too difficult, Thor without ribbing on small tube.

They have a very small conehead and remain very light / easy to cast.

So far this year that has been the producer for salmon and trout. 7 salmon but I have no idea how many trout but no steelhead.... I'll stick with it until the waters drop and clear.

For anyone who tubes...

Tube: Pro Sportfisher Micro black with 3/4 inch hook holder extension
Tail: UV Orange Marabou
Body: Dark Wine color Chenille = easier than dubbing
Wing: White Calf Tail
Hackle: Dyed brown Shlappen
Cone: Black Pro SPF small = very light but will sink them

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
That clear vinyl on the back end is the hook holder / extension. For such small flies I use about 3/4" of it to keep the hook from fouling things up. I get that stuff by the yard at Alaska Rubber Supply which is way more affordable than the stuff tube fly sellers offer so if you have a rubber & vinyl supply in the nearest large town take a tube with and see if they don't have clear flexible vinyl that'll fit for you :)

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
I apologize for not keeping up with the thread I started, and my tying, but I edited out all the missing pictures and I`ll see if I can replace them. Damn online hosting. :(

Ive got some tying to do, I'm out of flies pretty much again and I have some new ideas on action. After fishing lower water a few weeks ago I can see why certain areas, while full of fish is impossible to get the fly down there because of trenches and rocks. I'm always asking why? many times my fly is pushed up by hydraulics and safely out of the way of fish that most of the time are not going to move that far and that fast to nail it. Ive got some logistical problems swinging flies where I do, its a matter of speed but how to get a fly in the zone long enough and close enough for a take. Thats why the drift fly fishermen do so much better, their fly is in the zone longer. In certain areas a complete style change and swing angle is in order.

huronfly

Reaction score
Ahh totally forgot about this thread.. I've had mad success using hobo speys the last year so I went on a blitz and tied about 20 of them in my fav colours. Also, in hopes of raising some steel to the surface I've tied a few skaters including the little wang, fighting gravity, and October caddis. I will try to post a few pics soon.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll hold you to that Danny and may actually tie a few fresh tubes for an historic event......……. Event being I was at the river today and there is enough water for me to put that jet of mine back in the water and go hunt fish :)

flytie09

Reaction score
A last flurry of steelhead hair wings before my annual Fall SR trip next Friday. They're quick and easy and dog gone it.....fish like them.

Green Butt Skunk, Skunk, Skykomish Sunrise and a Coachman......all variations to the originals, but close.

green butt skunk - hair wing.jpg
skunk.jpg
skykomish sunrise 2.jpg
coachman.jpg

Here fishy fishy......:fishing:

ft09

Last edited:

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
Very nice! Very interesting intruders Quadesherwood I can see those producing a lot of action and Flytie009 that Green butt is fishy, totally dig it!

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
I love both those flies flytie09! the sparseness!

I said I`d repost some of my patterns that were lost in the hosting dilemma and tie some new, and things are finally slowing down, its been a crazy couple of weeks.

Plexi on Lake Superior agates

Steelhead opener today, old photo of a clipped fin I took. Not released.
I am strangely at home in lockdown doing my civic duty.

Spring steelhead tube fly

The Pincherry

Low Water Pincherry

Last edited:

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
MG-3 my first fly reel, I still have it and my old Martin 65. I kept all my fly reels. The MG-3 has the loudest most obnoxious click in fly reel history and I love it. My new Hardy Marquis has that same loud click only sweeter in tone. :)

I`m going to be tying tonight if I start a zoom meeting I`ll post the number.

Last edited: