What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Such tidy work Mike!

I'm in suspended state at this time as the snow begins to melt away. I was busy a week and two ago but now the season will need to get closer before I get back to tying. It is worth mentioning that when I started organizing my spring Kings box I found that the provisions are well above what could be needed :)

Other fish to fry at the moment; went to break down my freight sled yesterday which involved much digging through ice and snow and when finished realized a flat tire on the trailer that has been there with my machines and sled since January............. Now must return tomorrow with tools and find the problem before I can transport the equipment back home.

flytie09

Reaction score
Glad to hear you're caught up with tying Ard. I'll keep at it as it helps to sharpen my skills. My Spring trip up to the SR isn't going to happen this year. Hopefully this mess with Covid-19 will be cleared up by November. My wife and I were planning to move back to PA where I can then make more frequent weekend trips and see our families more often. Unfortunately the housing market and economy is teetering on a depression right now and that's on hold. So for now......I'm locked up in my office working from home and tying flies when I can.

The weather has been nice here (high 60s) and my daughter and I have squeezed in a few social distancing outings in the past week. Caught my record smallest fish....a 1" long dace and that's about it. Locals must have caught wind that the stocker trucks have been out. Every pull off I normally hit was occupied with anglers armed with their ultralight spinning outfits.

Happy to see people out enjoying themselves. A little fun to help us all escape from this virus business is welcomed. Hang in there everyone, be safe, practice good hygiene, use the 6' rule, don't go out shopping with your entire family please, and wear a mask with whatever you can get your hands on. We'll have this licked soon enough.

Mike

flytie09

Reaction score
A big beefy beautiful 3/0 XXL White Winged Akroyd. The wingset blew apart on the first attempt. Had to take it apart and try again. Whoever bites this fly....is going to be hungry and a true player. Cheers all. Mike

white winged akroyd 1.jpg

flytie09

Reaction score
I tried a different version of Dr. Forbes. A little bit shaggier one I saw from Mr. McPhail. I like version 2 myself.

5D81A789-76E0-4862-92E6-4CCD4F29DC2E.jpg
61A72F75-A00E-4346-9A61-77A6702B2237.jpg

flytie09

Reaction score
Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
Crying in my coffee on a missed Spring Steelhead season? They are too. :closed_2::help::Cry:

41BE092D-23B3-4E5C-8B4A-D76C3DFBB6BC.jpg

As long as we’re alive and they’re still swimming..... there will always be another swing to be swung and dangled.

Fish on!

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
Crying in my coffee on a missed Spring Steelhead season? They are too. :closed_2::help::Cry:

View attachment 22678

As long as we’re alive and they’re still swimming..... there will always be another swing to be swung and dangled.

Fish on!
Very nice flies man, yeah it bums me out too, but at least fall might be good, possibly summer Atlantics but I`m not holding my breath for that one. Haven't been fishing since January, ive been busy but admittedly discouraged about fly tying because I cant go fish them.

Oh well, better days to come, maybe I`ll get some excitement to tie again.

Watching that spring steelhead video was cool, and seeing big fish jump and spit the hook is something I`m used to, LOL

huronfly

Reaction score
This has been a really productive fly for me this spring for steelhead, basically a woolly bugger on a spey hook. Sorry you guys haven't been able to get out, lucky for me I am a stones throw to a top notch steelhead fishing river. Haven't seen a soul out there other than the other couple guys I fish with. It's amazing how grabby unpressured fish are!

bugger.jpg

quadesherwood

Reaction score
Thanks, Ard. Ive finally got some tubes from a Pro Sport Fisher variety pack. Thanks for the recommendation. lots of fun