What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition

duker

Reaction score
A few from today. Sol Duc Spey and Sol Duc Dark. Hopefully you're all making plans or have gotten out to swing some flies. 1 more month and counting the days for me. Cheers all.

View attachment 26107
Like you Mike I'm tying up some steelhead bugs for an upcoming trip--I'm leaving for Smithers in a week for a month on the Bulkley (and hopefully the Morice and some other rivers). Not going to post any pics of my ties because they pale in comparison to yours.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Just a fishing fly from the other night, we started doing some zoom fly tying, just everyone chatting and tying flies together talking fishing, quite fun.
Based on my Pincherry fly, no wings and with a large and obvious tail, I was thinking Mr. Twister when I tied this one, someone called it perfect which is nice, but for me its just a messy fishing fly, prototype probably going to lose it in a tree, log or rock. Still hoping to get out once this fall.

PS I dig the olive up front over dark brown it pops. Anyone remember Mr. Twisters? Caught so many fish on those as a youngster, just a jig and a twister tail. Killer.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Love that bright yellow! The other would totally do well on my home steelhead river, I love freestyle fishing flies it makes tying and sharing fun.

flytie09

Reaction score
Some Flying Peacocks. First one I forgot the peacock sword in the tail. This one I got it in there and fumbled with the head. I’ll master this one one day. Hope to drown some this weekend. Come on high water. Woo!

C8674565-DBEF-4951-B2BA-E751709C6E03.jpeg

flytie09

Reaction score
Fishing was poor. Water was very high (1500+ CFS). Tried every spot I know of and nothing. Even with Intermediate lines and T-14...it was very tough to get a decent swing. None of the smaller tribs held any fish either which is mind boggling. Plenty of people fishing New Years up there....which I'm not used to.

Wouldn't you know the week after I left was gang busters. Look at what the flows were doing before / during and after my trip. The max peak was the day I got there and the day ot dropped to 500 CFS, which is perfect, was the day after I left. That's been my luck the past several years now. Extreme drought or blowout city.

SR USGS.png

johnnymaltby

Reaction score
PXL_20210218_035406348.jpg

I have been reading about using backing instead of intruder wire, and decided to give it a go. Weather permitting we will see how this swings in MI. At Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters I found a midnight dub that was black with blue strands that I thought could be cool for the head.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like you Mike I'm tying up some steelhead bugs for an upcoming trip--I'm leaving for Smithers in a week for a month on the Bulkley (and hopefully the Morice and some other rivers). Not going to post any pics of my ties because they pale in comparison to yours.
Hope you do well Scott, remember our conversation? If you need a refresher just say so and I'll go over the Ardster approach with you again ;)