What have you been tying today?

lancer09

Reaction score
Today, I haven't really been tying per se, I've been trying to carve some small bluegill popper bodies to paint at a later date. The ones I've been carving have looked to be perfect size on a 300r hook but I'm not giong to mount them on there, what's a good hook, prefereably something relatively cheap?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Today I tied two dozen Jumping Jack Blacks in size 22 (Yat: Thanks for posting that great looking pattern) and a dozen Andy Kim’s "Yong Special" in size 22.

Larry

yatahey

Reaction score
Today I tied two dozen Jumping Jack Blacks in size 22 (Yat: Thanks for posting that great looking pattern) and a dozen Andy Kim’s "Yong Special" in size 22.

Larry
Glad you like that pattern Larry, I'm sure you'll catch fish with it, but I call it Jumpin' Black Flash. This is a Jumpin Jack Black -

---------- Post added at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

Gearing up for a trip to the San Juan mid month so it's stock up on midges and beatis time.
The olive ones are Stalcups Beatis size 22, the red are Ptails size 20, the others are chocolate WD40s and KF emergers sizes 20-22

Jimmie

Reaction score
Oh man that was good, Yat. ROFL. He is "Jumpin".

Yesterday tied more KG's (yes our KG) South Fork Specials, plus two different patterns of Cicada's. Out of the two I think this was my favorite. A little easier to tie also.
Periodical Cicada Tutorial

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you like that pattern Larry, I'm sure you'll catch fish with it, but I call it Jumpin' Black Flash. This is a Jumpin Jack Black -

---------- Post added at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

Gearing up for a trip to the San Juan mid month so it's stock up on midges and beatis time.
The olive ones are Stalcups Beatis size 22, the red are Ptails size 20, the others are chocolate WD40s and KF emergers sizes 20-22
Yat: Sorry about that, I just knew I was going to screw that name up, guess I should have looked up the thread before before posting.

For the San Juan you are going to want to use size 26-28 flies. You might be able to get away with 24's but I wouldn't recommend going larger than that.

Larry

yatahey

Reaction score
Thanks Larry. I'll have to get some 26s I've got 24s. Can always use the others up here.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Larry. I'll have to get some 26s I've got 24s. Can always use the others up here.
Yat: I didn't have anything that small either, but when I stopped at Abe's Motel and Fly Shop and bought a half dozen flies, everything he recommended was size 26 or 28.

Larry

yatahey

Reaction score
Nice flies guys:thumbsup:Larry and Yat how can you old farts see such tiny flies?:D:D
One of these helps JP. I use it on anything smaller that 18.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Yat: I didn't have anything that small either, but when I stopped at Abe's Motel and Fly Shop and bought a half dozen flies, everything he recommended was size 26 or 28.

Larry
I still have time to tie some more tiny flies since we don't leave until the 18th. I did find out from Steve, we'll be staying at Abe's. :D

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
One of these helps JP. I use it on anything smaller that 18.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

I still have time to tie some more tiny flies since we don't leave until the 18th. I did find out from Steve, we'll be staying at Abe's. :D
Yat: Sounds like a good plan. Abe's isn't fancy but it is clean and the location is great, hopefully the restaurant will be open, they close in late Nov and reopen sometime in Mar.

JP: I couldn't tie anywhere near that small until I got the magnifier for my Peak Vise, recommended by FrankB. That has really made it possible for me to be able to tie on the smaller stuff.

Larry

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I use clousers more than any other fly. I kill a lot of them. I have a pretty good dead clouser pile going. I have been going through with a razor blade, salvaging eyes, hooks and even some of the hair. I have been making new clousers from the dead flies. I call them Frankenclousers. ;)

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a showboat here but you ask....................... I tied this for Pocono's Salmon Fly Tie Along thread and entered it there. I don't know how many people go and look on that thread so I'm sticking this here too. It took me almost 3 hours to do this. It's a size 1 standard salmon

Right side;

[/IMG]

Looking strait down on the top;

[/IMG]

Left side;

[/IMG]

lancer09

Reaction score
Re: Cutty Sarks

I've been on spring break with NOTHING to do. I tied a few parasol emergers, flashabou streamers... and a congo hair crab fly. I don't know why, I just wanted to tie a crab fly.

oregonism

Reaction score
The last time I went out, I only got occasional action until I switched up to some random soft-hackles that I tied when I was bored one night, fished with an indicator and split shot. Started with a reddish brown size 14 and caught my first two fish (probably imitating the march browns coming off the water, at least, that's why I tied it on), then switched up to an olive and black and got all sorts of action (though only actually landed a single fish that nailed it HARD... moved several feet for the fly). I only fished with the olive for about 15-20 minutes before it was time to head home, unfortunately.

I plan to go the same spot on the Deschutes in a couple weeks, so I've been tying up some more of those soft-hackles in various sizes, but added a rib of flashabou and more of a defined head. The dubbing I'm using is really buggy stuff, so I think they will be really effective. Can't wait to try them out. They are not based on any pattern I've seen before, just working off the basic idea of a soft-hackle and getting creative. They look like they'll cover most caddis and mayfly nymphs, and they have plenty of action and a little flash for good measure.

Also tied up some disco midges, and will probably tie up some more midge patterns as I plan to hit up a local stocked pond sometime next week. I don't fish stillwater much, so I'm hoping that I'll get some action with some easy targets.

lancer09

Reaction score
No actual tyihg for the past two days, but some major DEtying. I needed some hooks and had a lot of flies i would never fish. No sense in keeping them around.