What have you been tying today?

jmcd22

Reaction score

iv_wjb

Reaction score
My next pattern is going to be a comparadun. What are you using for the tails? I bought some tan mayfly tailing fibers but they seem very fine.

You tie very clean and crisp (if that is a tying term) flies! I always enjoy seeing your flies posted here!
Wow, thank you for the kind words... A much-appreciated boost to my confidence as I’m really just starting to get a handle on tying! It’s very-much a work in progress!!

The tailing fibres I used on that fly were some badger hackle fibres. Honestly, that’s the first time I’ve used hackle fibres on a comparadun. Typically, I have used microfibbets or Z-Lon (when tying the Sparkledun). I can send you a photo of the badger hackle, if you need it.

Thanks, again!

eastfly66

Reaction score
Attempted the Adams this afternoon...

View attachment 31924

View attachment 31925

View attachment 31926

I find this one to be a real-challenge... If anyone has a good reference / guide / video to follow, I’d sure appreciate it!
Hey Wallace , are you using hen for the wings or did you manage to find some feathers that are not so pointy ? I haven't had much luck finding some round tip ones and the shops are wiped out of hen necks here.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Hey Wallace , are you using hen for the wings or did you manage to find some feathers that are not so pointy ? I haven't had much luck finding some round tip ones and the shops are wiped out of hen necks here.
Hey Paul... Hope all is well!

Honestly, I’m not sure whether these feathers are hen or rooster but, here’s some photos of what I’ve been using:

E48046AC-0F7A-4B9F-8863-909512550887.jpeg

B4F2D27F-193F-4284-8ACA-82361B2C6041.jpeg

It’s so hard to get materials around here that I just pick-up stuff whenever I see it... This is a little pack from Bass Pro. Maybe, you can get something similar near you? Good luck & hope that helps.

If you don’t have any luck with it, let me know & I’ll send you some, no problem... Just let me know ??

WWKimba

Reaction score
Hey Paul... Hope all is well!

Honestly, I’m not sure whether these feathers are hen or rooster but, here’s some photos of what I’ve been using:

View attachment 31927

View attachment 31928

It’s so hard to get materials around here that I just pick-up stuff whenever I see it... This is a little pack from Bass Pro. Maybe, you can get something similar near you? Good luck & hope that helps.

If you don’t have any luck with it, let me know & I’ll send you some, no problem... Just let me know ??
DRY FLY always means rooster hackle. Now that's 5 cents for the lesson! ;)

Kim

eastfly66

Reaction score
DRY FLY always means rooster hackle. Now that's 5 cents for the lesson! ;)

Kim
Hi Kim,

That's not always the case at least when your tying traditional Catskill style depending on what you have for feathers. Ideally the wings should be fuller and a little more rounded at the tip then the feather we get off the genetic capes now ( Whiting for example) . Older capes from the 70's might have such feathers , I've found a few on a Spencer cape I have from back in the 80's. The advice I got from Mike Valla's book and from the CFTG is to look at hen capes for the wing material. Collins hackle is favored by many Catskill tyers and I have an order in with Charlie.

WWKimba

Reaction score
Hi Kim,

That's not always the case at least when your tying traditional Catskill style depending on what you have for feathers. Ideally the wings should be fuller and a little more rounded at the tip then the feather we get off the genetic capes now ( Whiting for example) . Older capes from the 70's might have such feathers , I've found a few on a Spencer cape I have from back in the 80's. The advice I got from Mike Valla's book and from the CFTG is to look at hen capes for the wing material. Collins hackle is favored by many Catskill tyers and I have an order in with Charlie.
The package in the picture said "dry fly" and that's cock hackle.

Kim

dillon

Reaction score
Callibaetis Convertible

Hook: Sz 16 Dry fly
Thread: Tan Unithread
Tail: 3 split fibbets
Abdomen: Callibaetis Turkey Biot
Wing: Cinamon Bear fur
Thorax: Callibaetis Superfine

This fly can be fished as a dun or pull the wing wide and fish it as a spinner. Hence, it's name. Of course it can be tied in colors and size to match any mayfly.

convertible.jpg

okaloosa

Reaction score
Yep, a fly I need a microscope to see - sounds like a dr d!

Kim
I always tie up some #24 and #26 emergers on about 12 inches of 6.5X and 7X at home and store them on
small foam wheels so I can tie them to the bend of another fly while on the water especially if is going to be bone chilling cold.
numb fingers and old eyes make using tiny flies a problem but I catch most of my big fish on #20 to #26 year round except when the
dumb lake run fish are in the system.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I am intrigued by this one... Do you have recipe?
thanks for the interest!
#24 TMC 2488
body 70 UTC wood duck colored thread
ribbing black UTC ultra wire
body coated with UV resin
wing thin slice of white packing foam sheet
thorax superfine mahogany dubbing