What is a good low cost outfit for a beginner

nevadanstig

Reaction score
my first ever fly rod was a complete set up by Wild Water off amazon. Rod, reel, line, leader, fly box, and flies for around $100. The reel was junk and I upgraded to a Lamson konic, but I still use the rod, and I ran the fly box over with my car and it didn't even break. Still use the rod to this day. Can't beat that value.

As for the reel, if you're fishing for trout and bass the reel is just a place to hold the line, so you can get away with lower quality while you learn, then upgrade. That's what I did.
For a hundred bucks on amazon, you could also get a piscifun rod and reel. Youd be munus the fly line backing and leader, but youd never need to replace anything unless you wanted to. Those piscifun reels are absolutely stellar for the price, absolutely smoke a lot of the bigger names from lamson, sage and so forth. The rod isn't too shabby either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to take into consideration the post originated in 2008. I'd guess that everything would be available on the auction site and an outfit could be put together at a bargain now.

KenBrown

Reaction score
The following Rods, Reels and Outfits are equipment that are known to the Moderators and you can expect good performance. The Outfits are very good choices if you want to see what fly fishing is all about and don't want to spend a lot of money. If the new fly fisher knows this is going to be his sport, then a little higher priced Rod, Reel and Fly Line would be a good investment. New Fly Fishers are encouraged to take lessons before buying a setup. This will give you more insight into what setup will fit your needs the best.

Big Cliff's Pick

1. Fly Rod:TFO NXT Outfits fly fishing gear (the 9' 5/6wt version)
2. Fly Reel:TFO NXT Outfits fly fishing gear (comes with above combo)
3. Fly Line:TFO NXT Outfits fly fishing gear (comes with above combo)
4. Estimated Cost: $174.95

Forum Fly Shop Pick

1. Fly Rod:
2. Fly Reel
3. Fly Line
4. Estimated Cost:

Frank's Pick

1. Fly Rod: TFO 5wt, 9' length. $149.95, Redington Red.Fly 2, 9' 5wt. $99.00
2. Fly Reel: Lamson Konic $129, Redington Rise 5/6 $159
3. Fly Line: RIO Selective Trout II WF-Floating $65, SA Mastery WF-Floating $65
4. Estimated Cost: $293 to $374, Based on equipment selected.
5. Fly Rod and Reel Combinations. $99 to $500. Based on Combination selected.

Joni's Pick

1. Fly Rod: Sage Launch 9' 5 weight 2 pc. $199. 4 pc. $225
2. Fly Reel: Lamson Konic 2 $129.
3. Fly Line: Rio Selective Trout $64.
4. Estimated Cost: $375. to $425

Mark's Pick

1. Fly Rod:
2. Fly Reel:
3. Fly Line:
4. Estimated Cost:
I noticed that TFO is mentioned in several of the posts. I was considering building a 3wt and was looking at TFO simply because Sage is just too pricey. I like the looks of the CTS blanks as well, but also pricey. Out of TFO, CTS and Sage without a strict budget, which blank would you choose?

Upstate08

Reaction score
Out of TFO, CTS and Sage without a strict budget, which blank would you choose?
Sorry to be the guy who veers a little off track but I would look at Proof Flyfishing blanks if looking to do a build. Great options there in either glass or carbon.

Ippyroy

Reaction score
Personally I like the Echo Carbon Xl for a beginner rod. The price is right, it has good action, and I can feel the rod load.
For a reel, I really like the Lamson Liquid 3 pack. It's a great quality reel that allows you to easily and quickly change your line while on the water.
When it comes to line, I wouldn't cheap out. I like the Rio Gold InTouch. It can last decades with minimal maintenance.

Frank Whiton

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

With my post being from 2008 I doubt that any of the information is correct today. Since I haven't been fly fishing for several years, I am not the one to update the thread. I don't know what is the best currant budget rods. Now if you are looking for spinning or casting rods for fresh water Bass I might be able to help you out with that.

Frank

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll get around to it Frank but like you I'm not on the pulse of new outfits and pricing. I can't keep up with the market and have more than enough rods and reels on hand now. You know how it is, reluctant to part with anything although I could and then buy something new......... Problem is I'm set for now ;)

Frank Whiton

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Ard,

I certainly understand that. I have fly rods and reels that I haven't touch in over twenty years just sitting in a closet. One of these days I will get rid of them.

Frank

Reactions: Ard