What is it called?

hubby11

Reaction score
I think the body is pheasant tail. I fished it for a bit. The two yellow (calf's tail?) wings helped balance the fly really well, kind of like pontoons. A really well made fly.
E7614BCD-EBFA-461D-8A04-7BF6C9CF0572.jpeg

hubby11

Reaction score
It looks a little like a Harry Murray Mr. Rapidan.
I am a dope. Of course it is. I have one of his books right next to me and just confirmed it. And yes, I was fishing a stream in the Shenandoah's. Whoever he has making his flies does a good job.

hubby11

Reaction score
Is the body pheasant?
It seems like pheasant tail which is not in the original pattern. The orignal uses brown and grizzly hackle, yellow calf's tail for the wings, moose body hair for the tail and some type of ultrafine dubbing.

WadeK in to Deep

Reaction score
The 1st picture in this thread sure looks like there is a tightly dubbed body rather than Pheasant Tail. It doesn't look like Superfine, too course, more like fine Heather Wool but, I could be wrong on that. Regardless, if I were copying it, I would look for the color in Superfine. Of course mine wouldn't look half that good, even after 2 dozen.

flytie09

Reaction score
The Rapidan..... I had never heard of before living in VA for a short stint. It's probably one straight from Murray's Fly Shop. A fine example to replicate. What does it immitate? Nothing and everything. Does it work.....yup. Why? I'll go ask a fish.

mr rapidan.jpg