What is it with me, fishing and plumbing?.

bumble54

Reaction score
Last Monday I had to cancel my fishing because the shower room taps failed and I had to replace them, Friday the bath taps failed and I had to dismantle and repair them, this morning all packed and ready for the off when the kitchen sink drain failed, spent three hours cleaning up water and doing a temporary fix until a new sink arrives, no one local has them in stock so had to order online. Oh well, C'est La Vie.

omas

Reaction score
I hate plumbing!!!! It usually requires 3 trips to the hardware store no matter what the problem is, and they usually happen at the worst possible time.

duker

Reaction score
Plumbing is part of what I call the "holy trinity" of household systems, the other two being electrical and heating/air conditioning. I'm a pretty handy guy and can fix most everyday household problems, but I'm loathe to touch those three unless I have to and know exactly what I'm doing.

As a lawyer I also felt a kinship with plumbers: we both spend a lot of our time cleaning up other people's sh*t.

Scott

bumble54

Reaction score
There is not a good possible time to experience a plumbing failure. I wouldn't mind them if not for the water involved.
And the years of gunk in the drain, the smell still lingers. It can only be bacteria because only water goes down that drain, a breeding ground for the next pandemic?, drain flu?. :eek:

Acheron

Reaction score
One word for all of you need-to-be plumbers....Sharkbite (https://www.sharkbite.com/)

Not for use on boiler systems though. Outside of that, these puppies work wonders! I've used them outside near backflow valves on sprinkler systems through years of winters with no issues, had one on my main supply line coming into the house, etc. all for many years. No solder, no torch, no real plumbing required. It is clearly Alien technology and I'm onboard.

Might not work for your sink though, that's a lil different. In that case, shut the water off and go fishing, it'll be there when you get back. :D

Swfl gladesman

Reaction score
Plumbing is part of what I call the "holy trinity" of household systems, the other two being electrical and heating/air conditioning. I'm a pretty handy guy and can fix most everyday household problems, but I'm loathe to touch those three unless I have to and know exactly what I'm doing.

As a lawyer I also felt a kinship with plumbers: we both spend a lot of our time cleaning up other people's sh*t.

Scott
I like when my customers try to repair their HVAC systems it usually means I make more money on the repair and ours run about 11 months out of the year. And sharkbits are where it's at as mentioned above my buddy is a plumber and swears by them.

JoJer

Reaction score
So glad I don't have to try to do my own plumbing anymore. I was all set last week to replace a bathroom faucet-'til I saw the mish-mash of original (1952) supply lines and (slightly ) newer shut-offs. When I found that the shut-offs would have to be replaced, that was all I needed to put me to calling a pro.
I have one sink in the house supplied with Pex/Sharklbite plumbing. So glad to discover I could replace that one without having to buy a new ($100.) tool etc for that one install.
Another money saver: I seldom open the hood of my truck anymore either. Me and the truck are better off.

bumble54

Reaction score
Another money saver: I seldom open the hood of my truck anymore either. Me and the truck are better off.
That struck a cord.
I spent most of my life messing around with cars and motorcycles, engine changes in the street were a matter of a few hours. Today I look under the bonnet (hood ), sigh and close it again, Humans love to make things more complicated than they need to be.

Swfl gladesman

Reaction score
That struck a cord.
I spent most of my life messing around with cars and motorcycles, engine changes in the street were a matter of a few hours. Today I look under the bonnet (hood ), sigh and close it again, Humans love to make things more complicated than they need to be.
I had a 19992 jeep wrangler easy to work on youncould get to everything no problem now I have a 2012 and food luck getting a wrench in that engine compartment. I totally agree plus now you need a computer just to diagnose it.

bumble54

Reaction score
I had a 19992 jeep wrangler easy to work on youncould get to everything no problem now I have a 2012 and food luck getting a wrench in that engine compartment. I totally agree plus now you need a computer just to diagnose it.
The winter killed my battery so I bought a new one, had to take half the engine bay apart just to remove the old battery and fit the new one, there is virtually zero access, why make things so difficult?. Took most of a day, then as you say, had to use the code reader to diagnose and eliminate the error codes that showed up in the cars computer before I could drive it. ☹