What is the purpose of trip reports and...

the norseman

Reaction score
I like the Range Reports (the Places, the Equipment used, and how things went)! Keep them coming!

The Field Trips give me insight to what's out there.

I'm a Home Body, and very fortunate to have my "A Creek Runs Through It" right here in Town.

So don't Worry about the GPS Coordinates and your Secret Spots being found me.

Thank you all that give Reports.

DSC00300.JPG

WWKimba

Reaction score
It's funny that as tyers we love to share our tying/patterns yet as fishers we keep the spots we fish so close to the vest that you'd think we were giving away secrets against the interests of national security!

Kim

Acheron

Reaction score
It's funny that as tyers we love to share our tying/patterns yet as fishers we keep the spots we fish so close to the vest that you'd think we were giving away secrets against the interests of national security!

Kim
Speak for yourself!! I'm not giving up my fly designs! Umqua would love 'em too ;) :D :D

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Remember that it's the title of the thread that leads search results to the thread and not the content. A generic title like 'I Went Fishing' does not lead the world to the post but a title like 'Great Trip to Smitty's Pond' will gain steam with viewers quickly.

There's a difference between making a post about fishing and making a detailed account of a recent trip. The catch is details and the level to which we chose to provide them. I took the path of providing very little detail a long time ago and really don't post many fish images at all. I think most people here know which state I may be fishing in but I feel no need to tell anyone whether I'm out west or southeast and river or creek names are out for sure. And that whole bragging on yourself thing? That's a personal choice but such things can fall on deaf ears. I don't post many fish pictures for fear of people thinking I would be bragging. Instead I try to answer questions and discuss techniques, strategies, sometimes even tackle and even then I make an effort to tailor my words so they aren't interpreted as being boastful.

In the end we all use internet forums for different purposes, means and ends.

hatidua

Reaction score
In the end we all use internet forums for different purposes, means and ends.
That succinctly sums things up and is very pertinent to my situation.

A week ago I had a fairly detailed shoulder surgery that involved taking a few bones out, repairing a trashed labrum and rotator cuff, etc. I have a dozen incisions and holes in my shoulder right now....my wife has rightly told me "yeah, you don't really want to look in the mirror right now".

During this past post-op week I've spent my time watching online fishing video content. A bit of backstory: for the past 30 years I've shot fishing imagery professionally, I have been to all of those international "bucket list" places. Twice. But it's still fun to look at places I admittedly will never go to again.

Last summer a friend and I did the WY Cutt Slam, I asked on this forum for suggestions and two people were extremely helpful with exact locations to further that goal. The locations were fantastic. The reality is that due to distance, I may never fish those spots again....but the memories and certificate from the state of WY after completion are great.

I am not a fan of the downsides of social media and the #lookatme phenomenon that has surrounded fly fishing. Having said that, it's nothing new. Someone recently on this site posted an article written by a certain clothing company exec suggesting that everyone should do like he does with regard to fly selection and he's not a proverbial spring chicken like so many on social media are. Look-at-me isn't new, it's just made easier now.

Get outdoors, or don't, but don't point fingers. If you want to fish, go fish. Some of us can't right now :)

dillon

Reaction score
I don't post fish photos because, well, I don't want you all to feel insignificant.

Actually I find trip reports entertaining and generally interesting provided they don't relate to the waters I fish.
Exactly! A few years ago S&S found and fished a small non famous section of river on a tip. It was lovely. We’ve written about it here but didn’t disclose its location. Nor, did we tell any of our closest fishy friends about it. We may or may not go back there someday. So, why wouldn’t we share, you may ask. Well, for one we were asked not to, both by the source of the tip and by the others we met fishing there. We met a few guys there that we conversed with during lulls in the fishing. They were all locals or partime locals who fished there everyday throughout the mayfly season. All of them were very skilled dry fly anglers and stewards of the river. They were friendly and shared the water. These guys also mentioned other places we might like to fish. When we left they encouraged us to come back, but to please not tell or bring friends. We have respected there wishes. I think that’s a pretty good excuse aside from our own selfish ones 😀

Sometimes tips pay off and sometimes they don’t. Sometime later we explored another little fished habit and ended up getting stuck in the mud. S&S is still picking it out of his backing. I hope his new reel with black backing stays clean...

Feel free to pm me if you’d like to share a place you think we might like to fish. Promise we won’t tell...

Last edited:

falcon53

Reaction score
I have posted 2 pics of Rainbow Trout here. If someone asked I would tell them 150 ft up from a popular launch on the West Branch of the Delaware where probably hundreds people access and wade fish a year. However I caught those fish that day in rainy weather in the middle of winter in nasty conditions. If you want to go there have at it and I will tell you the fly pattern.. However If someone wants to know where I catch wild browns up to 18in in the Poconos thats off limits as only a very few know the location. There is only a fair population of these fish and too much pressure will ruin it if not handled gracefully. I rarely carry a camera and I am not into fish photos. I "fish for myself".

PA closes early this year for stocked water (Feb 15) and opens April 3 (2 weeks early). So today I tied some little black / brown stoneflies that usually hatch when the season is closed on many streams. Many streams are stocked but have wild fish in other areas that are not stocked but fall under these general regs. The fish cannot get above the natural barriers to the unstocked water but they are closed due to stocking. I need to get out and I am not waiting to fish in early May on the Upper Delaware. No Pics!

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In an effort to not be the bad guy (but everyone knows the truth) I always read them and sometimes comment. I don't leave Likes everywhere because once you start Liking you can't stop or people will think you Don't Like them....

Reports with imagery are often superb and I enjoy them, I just don't need to know where the poster was. I like fish pictures too.

Can you guess where I was? What I don't want to find are a bunch of people brutalizing the trout where I fish. If I post details of where exactly that fish and his friends were caught and how to get there I may very well find someone there my next trip out.

When I post my opinion that's all it is. I'm a participating member here like everyone else and my opinions are not rules but suggestions. They are your streams not mine and if you wish to broadcast the names and access points you will do it. I won't and I'll be looking for that fish in the picture this year again because I told no one where or how I caught him.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Exactly! A few years ago S&S found and fished a small non famous section of river on a tip. It was lovely. We’ve written about it here but didn’t disclose its location. Nor, did we tell any of our closest fishy friends about it. We may or may not go back there someday. So, why wouldn’t we share, you may ask. Well, for one we were asked not to, both by the source of the tip and by the others we met fishing there. We met a few guys there that we conversed with during lulls in the fishing. They were all locals or partime locals who fished there everyday throughout the mayfly season. All of them were very skilled dry fly anglers and stewards of the river. They were friendly and shared the water. These guys also mentioned other places we might like to fish. When we left they encouraged us to come back, but to please not tell or bring friends. We have respected there wishes. I think that’s a pretty good excuse aside from our own selfish ones 😀

Sometimes tips pay off and sometimes they don’t. Sometime later we explored another little fished habit and ended up getting stuck in the mud. S&S is still picking it out of his backing. I hope his new reel with black backing stays clean...

Feel free to pm me if you’d like to share a place you think we might like to fish. Promise we won’t tell...
I'm with you my new friend ! Well here's a tip . I caught the fish in my avatar on the Missis_______i river somewhere . Now you ! lol

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
I like to see reports. I like the scenery or flora and fauna you might encounter... but fish pics and grip and grins isn’t what I look for. I don’t care to see places, markers or such called out. That’s for one to discover on their own.

I’m not entitled to anything that someone has put there hard earned years or decades worth figuring out. If I’m curious.... I might shoot a PM at someone. Many will open up that’s fine..... but it’s their right to say “bugger off.... figure it out”. Most just love talking about fishing.

Be careful of pimpin’ your stream I say. But realize none of it is really ours anyways. In 100 years.....we’ll all be space dust again. My favorite beer to drink by the way.

photoguy

Reaction score
I love reading trip reports as they always seem to come in when I'm stuck at a desk and could use a little fish time! And I'm always ready to help if someone has a specific question that I know the answer to and I'm happy to recommend specific spots to someone that needs the help. And as far as naming locations generally- IMO, that ship has already sailed. If you've got a special spot that you want to protect, then keep the specific details of the location close to your vest (pun intended) otherwise know there are countless fly fishing FB groups now devoted to fly fishing (with tons of newcomers) and the information on where/when/how is widely disseminated at the sped of light into the world already.

srock

Reaction score
I like the report section and believe most posters use discretion when describing the location of where they were fishing. However, a good report will likely have enough detail that some readers may figure out where the location is. On this site, I see the function of a fishing report as relating an interesting angling experience described by the poster, rather than a technical discussion of exactly where to fish. The question I find myself asking periodically is when should I submit a report, after what kind of trip, when is my trip experience worth reporting in the context that others would find it interesting, and both enjoy and maybe learn something from it? Most of the time I error on not reporting because the trip while fun for me may be somewhat routine, and not containing sufficient new or useful info. Plus, when the fishing gets good, I like to go fishing and not writing reports. Writing good reports takes skill and patience. So people who write good ones should be enjoyed. When I am looking for info regarding fishing an area I usually rely on local reports, guides, fish shops, and fishermen I know who are familiar with the area rather than on-line reports. Current info is central to success and this forum lacks this kind of timeliness. In fact, if you go to other forums, such as the Wisconsin Fly Fishing Forum, you will find the reports years old and that for all practical purposes fishing reports have been dropped. This does not mean anglers do not seek info or get it, they go elsewhere where the fishing intelligence is hot and current. Finally, I do not see the posters on this forum becoming any more edgy than normal towards others, but then, I have not written too many detailed reports.

RunNGun

Reaction score
I really enjoy the trip reports, pictures of fish, scenery, animals, and basically anything interesting from the trip. Hell if you made a particularly good lunch and stopped to have a little boil-up on your trip out, by all means document that too. I love it all, the whole atmosphere of fly-fishing and I can't get enough, especially in mid-february while I'm winter dreaming about getting back out on the water. I agree care should be taken not to reveal any spots that would be sensitive to a large jump in angling pressure. I think most of us here realize that and anglers that don't, shouldn't mind friendly tips on how to post a report while protecting their favorite fishing spots. I have a close friend that has a u-tube channel and I gave a friendly suggestion to refrain from revealing where he was fishing. He just hadn't realized how many people would be reached by it. In the end lets try to keep it fun. No one needs to be stressing about something that relieves stress.

mmorris56

Reaction score
I enjoy the trip reports. Especially during the slow times when I can’t get out. Hotspotting? I’m not going to include specifics in the report but if anyone asks in a private message I have no problem sharing; unless I’m sworn to secrecy.

JDR

Reaction score
How did the famous rivers become famous in the first place? Was it through Native American accounts? Were they only featured in Lewis and Clark's journals, and everybody read about them there? How did well known flies become famous? Why should I think a fly designed and fished successfully in the Catskills will not work on every river in the U.S.? As with many other things in the current time frame it seems the selfish idea of "personal ownership" is trying to change the long standing traditions of sharing useful information.