What is the purpose of trip reports and...

fossumsj

Reaction score
I don’t post trip reports Or pictures on the internet.
Why stress fish for a picture by taking out. Of the water.
if people ask, I give them a factual report including all details they want.

gbrooker

Reaction score
I love trip reports, both reading and creating them. Living vicariously through other anglers helps me get through the long winter months. However, the older I get the more I believe that naming streams or getting too specific with locations is not a good idea. Exploring, trial and error and personal conversations with other anglers are an important part of fly fishing. Posting streams names on the old interwebs just broadcasts the information to a huge audience. This year has been a great example of that danger of that. A pandemic that prevented people from going to baseball games, movies and Disney World led to a lot more people camping, fishing, etc. who do not usually do those things. Some of them did not treat our streams, lakes and woods with a great deal of respect. I wonder how many of them got the names and locations of vulnerable streams online. The great thing about this forum is that if you are really intrigued by someone's trip report you can privately message them and ask for more info.

spm

Reaction score
I like the trip reports and I don't want them to go away. I don't normally post pictures because, as I've said, my trying to handle a rod, net, fish and camera is a recipe for disaster. Having said that, I understand that pictures make a trip report more interesting. I like the reports and I read them. I also don't name specific locations unless it's a well-known spot, i.e. a state park. Even then I don't say exactly where in the park I am. Several people have guessed it and that's fine. They may have pioneered it themselves, long before I found it.

Now, to the other issue that zjory and flyfisherformen brought up. I, too have felt a change in "The Force" on here. Not necessarily antagonistic, but different. Maybe it's just new members putting forth new ideas and that's fine. I'm sure some members were wondering the same thing about me, when I joined. However, this has always been a very friendly and helpful forum and I hope it continues to be.

I have also noticed several members that had the most seniority and were the most prolific have been missing, lately. I don't know why, but I would like them back.

I'm not sure if this ramble made any sense, but there it is. I like it here and I'm staying.

Thanks,
steve

srock

Reaction score
SPM, earned my PhD at Mizzou in 76. I enjoyed living in Columbia. Mainly fished the trout parks and a bit of the Niagua (sp) river. Came back to the STL area in 2016. What do you do in Columbia, where (ha ha) do you fish?

Reactions: spm

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Now, to the other issue that zjory and flyfisherformen brought up. I, too have felt a change in "The Force" on here. Not necessarily antagonistic, but different. Maybe it's just new members putting forth new ideas and that's fine. I'm sure some members were wondering the same thing about me, when I joined. However, this has always been a very friendly and helpful forum and I hope it continues to be.
And I should be clear, that like spm, I think it's a great forum.

Change was probably inevitable. As I said, the internet was still relatively new. We were also still seeing more newbies (I was one). We had more threads oriented to learning and far less on gear. Would you believe nobody argued about Abel nippers?

Reactions: spm

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-

I am finding this and other posts concerning the amount and level of fishing information posted on internet sources and other outlets- print in particular- very interesting.
I'm an outdoor writer, and the nature of my job is that fairly often I must provide information about specific locations for anglers and hunters to learn about. However, I don't post information about locations which can't stand a lot of pressure. It's really not that hard to do- if you have spent any time at all wading tiny flows and boating big flows and fishing everything in between, you'll just know when a particular piece of water needs to remain anonymous.
And the truth is, if an angler is willing to put in the time and effort to reach a fishing water- no matter how he/she learned about it from gossip, online, or printed magazine article- then why shouldn't that angler get to go and see what's there?
Every angler- and I'm no exception- has waters that we want to consider as "ours" but even if we hold the title to the surrounding land and pay taxes on it, we really don't own the water- we're just visiting it and enjoying it for a short while. And while I don't like to see other anglers fishing where I want to go, the water is open to all of us- at least MOST water is.
And I'll be honest, when I find a fool of a big fish and manage to catch it, I like to share that success. As Dizzy Dean said, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!"
I think most people enjoy reading about other places to fish and sometimes making plans to go and visit waters strange to us. And those who think information should not be shared- well, I reckon they can keep their own knowledge to themselves- they don't have to report in after a fishing trip.
It's going to be spring before too long, and the vaccine seems to be working. Perhaps we can go fishing in better states of mind.

Keep safe and be well- Ed

trev

Reaction score
I think most people enjoy reading about other places to fish and sometimes making plans to go and visit waters strange to us.
Ed. would you say that outdoor writers are in any way responsible for the ever increasing numbers of users on our waters? Isn't every new angler on any water added pressure? and aren't all waters limited in the amount of pressure they can stand? Even the oceans are stressed.
Leaving the pimping aspect aside, can we continue to "grow the sport" at current rates and expect any water to survive?

Pressure on "my" streams is 10X or 20X what it was even a dozen years ago, not only anglers but hordes of kayak users each of which disturbs the stream bottoms and destroys untold numbers of macro invertebrates. No harm?
I am wondering if we anglers aren't destroying our "sport", as Pogo said "the enemy is Us".

myt1

Reaction score
Pogo is kinda right.

As a lover of the outdoors I have done infinity more damage to the wilderness than any city slicker.
If I really cared about the environment I should probably just stay home.
It is just so darn complicated.

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-
Truth be told, the biggest factor in degradation/overuse of natural resources- water, woods, desert, mountains- is simply there are more people and especially more people with the time and ability to access the resources. More people not holed up in the city or suburbs always brings the unspoken certainty that some of those folks will be fools- or simply ignorant of the effects of their actions- people who trash the water, rut up the backroads, and set wildfires.
And are outdoor writers responsible? Sure we are. so is anyone else who shares information about the fishing and the places where fish can be found.
We are programmed to share information. That's how we have survived for so long.
Do I feel responsible for so many people now going on the water?
Yep, just a little bit. But isn't that what I'm supposed to do? Tell folks about how to catch a fish and a little bit about how and where to do it?
I am a retired teacher. For a long time I spent my days presenting information so that others could do things that they were not able to do before. So writing articles telling folks how to catch some fish and see some great places is the same thing. Except now I'm writing about redfish, bass, and even trout instead of trying to get ninth graders to write complete sentences with something like correct punctuation.
And it ain't easy.

good day to all- Ed

LePetomane

Reaction score
There are no secret spots anymore. Google Earth made sure of that. I recall an incident when I lived in Pa. in the 80's for a short time. A guy I fished with told me he had a secret spot on Kettle Creek. It would be an hour hike through the woods. There were bear and snakes there. We did it. As we got closer to the river we heard voices. As we met up with the two guys fishing a mentioned that I hadn't seen their car at the trailhead. One of them remarked that they parked on the road just over the hill from where we were. So much for a secret spot.

dillon

Reaction score
I just did a google search of an area I’d like to fish but never have. The search led me to discover many lakes and streams that sounded interesting. Many of the streams were remote, small and fragile. They certainly couldn’t stand much pressure and should never be written about or discussed on internet flyfishing forums. So, I won’t mention them as they might be some of your favorite secret places. However, I will give you a clue. Some of these lakes and streams are on Indian Reservations. The particular one I was looking for is in Idaho. I’ve known about it for a long time, but haven’t fished there, partially because I’ve heard it’s dangerous. The streams on the Reservation are allegedly filled with quicksand. Another rumor is that cars are frequently stolen or vandalized. Anglers often return to their vehicles to find all the glass busted out and maybe some men have never come out alive. Frightening stories to say the least. it leaves me to wonder, are they true or merely fake news meant to keep anglers like me from going there? if anyone here has ever fished one of these Idaho reservations or wants to, shoot me a pm if you want to talk with me about them. Thanks

Last edited:

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I love reports. If you're a good researcher you can find the rock along the river in a fish pic with just general info and sat images. Takes about 4 hours. What I would like to see changed is access to the forum section, fly fishing in the united states. That section should be for members only like the lodge den is.

LePetomane

Reaction score
Anglers often return to their vehicles to find all the glass busted out and maybe some men have never come out alive. Frightening stories to say the least. it leaves me to wonder, are they true or merely fake news meant to keep anglers like me from going there?
They are both. There have been reports of cars being stolen or vandalized at the access areas on the Bighorn (Crow Reservation) but I have not had a problem.

myt1

Reaction score
I believe it was Ard who suggested we don’t post the name of a river or lake in the title of a trip report.

This seems very reasonable and at the very least I will be doing that from now on.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Every thread has its turns.

I can post a trip report and never use the name of the water. If someone recognizes the area, great, but I'd hope they would honor my effort in not posting the location. As I said, some places it really doesn't matter as there are books, articles, DVDs....discussing the places for the last +50 years. How do we think those waters got so well known? Sure as heck wasn't from word of mouth.

If it wasn't for those that just search the forums for fishing locations, I'd probably be a little less tight lipped.🤥Who am I kidding? 🤣

Some info is best left to PMs. At least I can see how active the person is, read past posts, and then make a partially educated assement as to what kind of person that are. I did the same thing for 25 years operating my business( boy did I still screw myself with some of my assesments). Lol

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was always taught to share and respect.
is fly fishing shrinking or growing, who is the next generation.
give, share, learn, be happy when other fly anglers are in your happy place, these are typically like minded folks.
most fly anglers don’t keep the fish...not like giving out your secret hunting spot.
pictures of fish in a net are cool, to a point, but they fall way short of the tale.
I love telling stories as much as I like hearing or reading a great one. Put in the effort!
seems weird to tell a forum not to post info. Counter intuitive, like much of society these days.
I hope everyone is planning a new adventure, I like having trips to looks forward to as well as having memories.
10700A8F-E496-43A3-B224-38254854B65E.jpeg