What new reel would you buy for $100 (or less)?

frickerdog

Reaction score
Ended up going to a local fly shop (Tight Lines) and they spooled a line onto the reel and I tested it. It is fantastic! It balances so well on a 4 wt rod. Thanks to all who convinced me to use my old reels. I’m gonna clean up the Daiwa next.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I know several people that use Okuma SLV reels on there freshwater set ups, and they are happy with them. Can be found for under $60 especially in the freshwater sizes.

frickerdog

Reaction score
Thank you so much for these tips. I followed these instructions, and feel like it's a new reel. Here is the cleaned up product. It is running quite smoothly. I'm waiting for new line, which should arrive soon, and will test it on the water thereafter.

View attachment 26079
So, I have to laugh. I got this thing working so smoothly that it's actually too loose! I have had to adjust the way that I pull the line so as to not spin it too fast and loosen my line on the spindle. I was knotting up my own reel by pulling too fast. It has SA Frequency Boost line on it. If I can't adjust, I may return to the old Daiwa. Good times! Also, I've caught some nice little bass in river tests using this on a 4 wt rod. Trout haven't been moving in my spots lately. Fun, fun, fun before it gets cold and trips become less frequent.

bumble54

Reaction score
For less than $100?, well I've just bought my third GOTURE, all three were less than £30 each. Light enough and with a good clutch. A word to the wise, the sizes stated don't allow much room for backing so you really need the next size up if you plan on adding any amount of backing line. I now have the 3/4 for a 4# half silk line for my brook rod, a a 5/6 for a barrio 4# WF Mallard line with backing and a 7/8 for a 6# Barrio GT90 line with backing. This brings my reel count to 14 ( including the 2 Mitchell 710 auto's ) but I doubt I will add any more. I cannot fault the Goture's but only time will tell.
One thing that does niggle is their propensity to reel in the slack line while casting, none of my other reels do it but perhaps a strategically placed rubber pad will solve that one.