What Reel?????

GRASSNGLASS

Reaction score
Is there any reel that will actually balance a 44" fiberglass rod???

Also, certainly not enough money in the kitty for a Hardy Flyweight for this rod. Be like putting a $500 saddle on a $50 horse.

Thanks,
Barry

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
On second thought take a look at Martin model 62 or 63 reels on eBay. They are light, around 2 7/8" or so and affordable. I had a few but sold them here years ago.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I did have a look after my first post Barry,

There is a real clean #63 for around $26.00 and others in very good condition also priced low.

GRASSNGLASS

Reaction score
I was looking at them on ebay. Also, I have storage containers full of reels. I need to look and see if I may already have one. I know I never fished one, but don't know what I've picked up along the way.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this an old Orvis rod?

I have seen a Banty / Bantam rod years ago and they were 4'4" one piece rods with a fat short cork and slide band mount. The Martin 63 would be about right in both weight and vintage. I think there were some 2 piece rods too but I'm not sure if they were Orvis rods. Wasn't there a little rod like this made famous by Lee Wulff?

Last edited:

GRASSNGLASS

Reaction score
No, this is a Abercrombie & Fitch Banty 44 Fiberglass.

Don't think it's the Phillipson version because it has the ferrule with the O-Ring. Not sure who made that model for A&F.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Phillipson was the blank supplier and the ferrules are a way to date them. I had a 4'4" Lamiflex fiberglass back in the 70's with the O ring ferrule. Is the rod amber in color? Could be Lamiflex but I doubt they were high end enough for A&F

GRASSNGLASS

Reaction score
Blank is a golden/copper color. I believe the ferrules are sizematic and looks like the ones I remember Silaflex rods having.

I've seen some pictures of this model that had Phillipson style reel seat and ferrules. This doesn't resemble those, so not sure if Phillipson blank or someone else's.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I posted this in reply to your other thread, but sounds like the rod is considered a 3-5 wt, with a 4 wt being the starting point.

So a light, inexpensive reel that could hold up to a 5 wt line. Not too many options. One thing I would probably do is focus on 2-3 wt reels, put on a minimal amount of backing and cut off whatever portion of your line doesn't fit. Can't think you'd be making very long casts with such a short rod.

If you're looking for something immediately available, I think your best bet is the Orvis Battenkill (I is 2.8 oz, II is 2.9 oz) at $129, maybe you could find one used for less. If you don't care about classic styling, the Redington Zero 2/3 (2.7 oz) is a bit less ($110). Bass Pro Shops sells its White River Classic Ultralite (2.4 oz, $100), but capacity is only WF2+30 so may be too small even with cutting off a lot of the line.

I've never seen one in person and it probably would be hard to find at this point, but the lightest reel I recall reading about is the J Austin Forbes Magnesium. It weighs just 2.1 oz and the specs are WF4+100. But it's just 2.5" in diameter. So must have a tiny arbor and be very wide. I would think line coiling might be a real problem.

A little heavier, but you might look for a Redington CT or Drift or a Cortland Retro, I believe all just over 3 oz. and generally not too expensive. Some of the CFOs and some other Hardys might work, but they're at least as much as a Flyweight.

trev

Reaction score
I'd slap a "Saltrout 1554"or "Progress 1774" on it. Both are very light in my hand. Both were popular enough in the '50s & '60s that they are common on the eBay and fairly cheap.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
I've had to pan around for the lightest reel out there for a few rods. If you can find a Hatch 1 Plus somewhere, it might be one of the lightest. Another one to look at is Daniellson has one I think it's called the midge. On the more inexpensive side, if you don't mind a reel that isn't milled, is the smallest sized Battenkill.

ikankecil

Reaction score
Redington Zero is a fairly light & inexpensive reel if weight and cost are the two primary factors.

flytie09

Reaction score
JW Young made the Orvis Battenkill for a brief period in the 70s that would be a good pairing. The 3 1/4" size. You can find these once in a while on Ebay.

I'd say any of the Battenkills would be a good pair. I like Hardy Lightweight series reels too.....but understand they might not be in everyones budget. They can be found for a deal on Ebay for a song sometimes. You just need to be patient and persistent.

1638896787516.png

GRASSNGLASS

Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts.

I have a modern Battenkill II that I may try. I just sold a Battenkill I that was a 1/4" smaller in diameter, but for some reason only shows being 1/10 an ounce lighter. It has a Wulff Longbelly 4wt. on it. May still be too heavy, but a starting point.