What size & brand of electric trolling motor and battery for Dave Scadden's Detonator Lo Pro X

brkncly

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Dave Scandden's Detonator Lo Pro X at show. I need to buy an electric trolling motor and battery for it, what size & brand do you guys suggest please. Thanks in advance.

desmobob

Reaction score
Although my new Scadden Raptor Lite Speed X has that same really nice motor mount, I don't think I'll be using it. I have two MinnKota trolling motors. One is on my bass boat and the other is used for canoes, jon boats, etc. They both have been used extensively and have been faultless. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a MinnKota if I was in the market for a new trolling motor.

Though they're expensive, I'd be looking at a LiFePO4 battery. In the long run, they should end up being cheaper due to more charge-discharge cycles in their estimated life span compared to lead-acid batteries. Much lighter in weight too. I use a small one for my portable fish finders.

Acheron

Reaction score
Since you haven't gotten an answer from someone using one, I recommend calling him and asking. He's always really helpful and willing to talk if you can get him. In his videos he uses MotorGuide with a 12v motorcycle battery (I think).

If you don't want to call or can't get him...MotorGuide and MinnKota are good brands. I have never used a trolling motor on my small rafts, I would think 30lbs thrust will be more than enough power. After all, those are used on jon boats/aluminum boats, canoes, larger rafts, etc. and work fine. I don't think you will turn a 30lb thrust trolling motor to full speed unless you are being chased by lightning or and angry moose or something.

Something like this should work, assuming the shaft length works for the raft (you should measure): https://tinyurl.com/4nptcb99

Last edited:

Sleddog

Reaction score
I have a Costco version of the Colorado XT & a Jackson Mayfly kayak. I use a Minnkota 30lb thrust motor with a 12 volt 35 amp hour battery. Very seldom turn the motor up to full speed on either craft.
The Detonator is at least half the weight of either of my two boats, I’d think the 30lb would be fine.