What size floating line on a Euro rod?

Bigfly

Reaction score
OT..
I will continue to share line knowledge every time you say you shouldn't up line.
Not to disregard you....hardly...
You can scare fishes I'm sure...
But we fish more ways and waters than one.
Some folks settle in to a style of fishing, and others keep exploring possibilities.
I see this differently probably because I am a working pro, not a recreational fisher..
I have to find solutions, when others can pack it in, if its not working. I can't blame the fish or weather or anything.....
Please fish your choice of line.
I will as well. Been up lining for 30 years..

Jim

old timer

Reaction score
Never said to never upline. I do it all the time. He asked what line to use and I told him what Syndicate said to use. If you don't own the same rod as him you can't recommend any line with knowledge that it will work.

Stop looking for an argument.

chic worthing

Reaction score
I have an SA Trout 3 wt line on another spool for my T&T 10’9 and it casts it great.
e
You normally use the line weight that matches the rod so you can load the rod and get distance when you cast. That is not the goal in Euro fishing. Instead of a cast it is more like a flop. There are lines made specifically for this task and they are very thin to reduce the drag. You could use Mono but you will be plagued with the memory. You will be "flopping" the line just a short distance past the end of the rod, the rod then will just above shoulder and then lowered (the dip) until you feel the bottom.

Teeth

Reaction score
e
You normally use the line weight that matches the rod so you can load the rod and get distance when you cast. That is not the goal in Euro fishing. Instead of a cast it is more like a flop. There are lines made specifically for this task and they are very thin to reduce the drag. You could use Mono but you will be plagued with the memory. You will be "flopping" the line just a short distance past the end of the rod, the rod then will just above shoulder and then lowered (the dip) until you feel the bottom.
Yes sir. The floating line is on a spare spool. I use a euro line when nymphing.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Sorry Chic...
We are outside the box...
Casting dries, on the euro rod.
Works sweet...breaking the law.
It doesn't matter what I do, or what I do it with.
Man that feels good.
Freedom I think it's called.
But, I'm not being contrary...much..
It gives a performance advantage over a short rod when drifting a dry..

Jim

Last edited:

chic worthing

Reaction score
Sorry Chic...
We are outside the box...
Casting dries, on the euro rod.
Works sweet...breaking the law.
It doesn't matter what I do, or what I do it with.
Man that feels good.
Freedom I think it's called.
But, I'm not being contrary...much..
It gives a performance advantage over a short rod when drifting a dry..

Jim
Jim, My bad, I did not go back far enough to get to the core of what you were doing.

Daggerislandreds

Reaction score
I also keep a spare spool with a floating line. I have the SA Infinity 3wt line for my T&T 10'9", and it cast great for me. I don't really see the need to go with a 4wt line for myself. Every casting style is different though, and I wouldn't but a $100+ line without trying it out first.