What size floating line on a Euro rod?

hubby11

Reaction score
I am planning on putting a regular floating WF (maybe DT) line on my 3WT Euro rod under my mono rig so I can do some occasional conventional fly fishing on it if the tightline thing is not working or perhaps if I encounter a hatch. My question is what size line? I am thinking that since most Euro rods are not designed for throwing floating lines that maybe I want to under or over line my rod. Any advice?

Thanks,

old timer

Reaction score
I asked Syndicate that question once. He said to use a line that the rod is made for. So, even though a 3wt will have a 5-6wt butt. He says use a 3wt line. The butt will help land fish. The tip is casting the line.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I happened to have 5wt handy...so I put it on my 4wt. 11ft Strike.
Works sweet.
If fishing close, a DT is nice.
Roll casting......
I fish far with a wf line, and a Snap-T cast...
I can overhand cast with it....but why?

Jim

old timer

Reaction score
I've read the 11footers are a little stiffer because of the length. Not sure it's true?

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I would think 11 footers would be more limber due to the extra foot . I know my 11 foot 6wt is over my 10 and 9 .

old timer

Reaction score
I think that's why a 11' might be stiffer than a 10'. If the stiffness were the same the 11' would be too limber.

I'll see if I can find where I read that.

old timer

Reaction score
That was easy to find. Read the section comparing 10-11 foot rods. This may only apply to Syndicate rods.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I just put the rods in people's hands.... beginners, both men and women and all my students. As well as, crusty old dry fly guys...because that is the point.....
They tell me, and I report.

I have found, some people you can't tell anything.
And then, there are those who might even agree....but have more fun razzing from their computer, than fishing.
I share my new joys as they come along. Both for the guys that are a "stick in the mud", and beginners who care to broaden their horizon with that Euro rod that isn't as popular after a while..
For 10 years I've been testing a euro rod with floating line. First a 3wt, now a 4wt. I'm sold.
About once a week, I have someone say "wow, I'm getting one of these"....
Then they ask what it is....?
So it's not a brand thing or a techy thing.
Nobody does it around here but me, So it's not a trendy thing...
Could be I'm giving a golden tip, to try....
Or not.
Either way....I'm already looking for another discovery to fish better than I do...
It keeps me interested.....

Jim

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
OT...Don't be paranoid.....
The stick in the mud comment was from a conversation with a senior member of the forum I had today.
Or, did you mean the razzing comment?

Jim

Last edited:

old timer

Reaction score
I kind of fit into the crusty old dry fly guy. ;)

A little on the razzing.

Some on the 11' rod being a little stiffer.

Sort of the whole post. Kind of.

Bigfly

Reaction score
My 4wt feels like an old Sage SP to me.
Med flex overall.
Not too soft a tip for Dry fly at distance...say 40 to 50ft.
And with enough butt to argue with a fatty.
The 11ft rod is also nice for those height challenged while wading deep, and I went float tubing a while back with dries....perfect.
OT....I have no idea about your height...so chill.

Jim

old timer

Reaction score
My height?

I used to be 6' 1"
I'm about 5' 8" now that my back has collapsed.
I have to hang 10 lbs ballast off my rear to keep from falling over forward.

Old age is comical.

Last edited:

dlip

Reaction score
I use a 4 wt Wulff Triangle Taper on both my 10’ 3 Shadow X and 10’ 3 Recon and it casts excellent on both. Significantly better than the WF 3 I was using previously.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I put .022 level pvc running line on my 3 wt Nymhmaniac and she lawn casts a dry fly pretty darn good . Getting ready to head to Hayden Meadows next week to give her a try .

fishrite86

Reaction score
I am planning on putting a regular floating WF (maybe DT) line on my 3WT Euro rod under my mono rig so I can do some occasional conventional fly fishing on it if the tightline thing is not working or perhaps if I encounter a hatch. My question is what size line? I am thinking that since most Euro rods are not designed for throwing floating lines that maybe I want to under or over line my rod. Any advice?

Thanks,
Remind me who made the Rod? I usually overline but on my 1003 rods I use a 3wt.

Lamarsh

Reaction score

Thanks,
I went through this same conundrum when outfitting my euro setup. I found that a line weight that matches the rod works fine, but so does overlining by one line weight. A nice happy medium would be picking one of those lines that are weighted up a half line, such as SA Infinity.