What the heck man......

68camaro

Reaction score
Not sure why this would be.....

Went fishing last Saturday in small mountain stream, temps in low 30's water around 36*. Fish would not hit dry but really like size 18 and smaller black nymphs fished under a dry. Caught some really nice wild rainbow and native brookies.

Compare with yesterday, same weather, low temps in 30's but water temp was several degrees colder into low 30's. However, fishing totally different - no hits on any subsurface, that I felt anyway, but dry had several hits. I would have thought as water got colder fish would be even less inclined to hit dry.

For subsurface I am even attempted streamers which I never use in mountain stream.

Any ideas on why the change or idea to increase hits?

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Not sure why this would be.....

Went fishing last Saturday in small mountain stream, temps in low 30's water around 36*. Fish would not hit dry but really like size 18 and smaller black nymphs fished under a dry. Caught some really nice wild rainbow and native brookies.

Compare with yesterday, same weather, low temps in 30's but water temp was several degrees colder into low 30's. However, fishing totally different - no hits on any subsurface, that I felt anyway, but dry had several hits. I would have thought as water got colder fish would be even less inclined to hit dry.

For subsurface I am even attempted streamers which I never use in mountain stream.

Any ideas on why the change or idea to increase hits?
Thats pretty cold water, winter fishing, the only thing hatching here is midges on sunny days, so tiny zebra nymphs, and smoke jumpers and other midge dries are about the only thing going. They dont even like to chase until February if it warms up, wet flies, streamers, stoneflies.

How to change this? Bring on spring, LOL fish warmer days with sun, we dont fish in the shade around here in the winter and the action is a one to two hour window in the afternoon. Its Winter fishing man.

68camaro

Reaction score
How to change this? Bring on spring, LOL fish warmer days with sun, we dont fish in the shade around here in the winter and the action is a one to two hour window in the afternoon. Its Winter fishing man.
I'll vote for spring. I do diary all my fishing and I have noticed most cold days the fishing heats up mid-late afternoon which is warmer part of day and then turns off once sun starts going down.

Reaction score
My only idea on this is possibly the barometric pressure dropped during the 2nd day, which can help some of the tiniest to break through the surface. I've seen it with #18 BWO's hatching as patchy clouds with light misting came by. Sun popped out-No dries and no rises, next patch of clouds and mist-drys and heads poking up everywhere on the middle Owens.