What type of fly do you find most enjoyable to tie?

What types of flies do you ENJOY tying the most?

• Traditional Dry Flies

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Terrestrials/frogs/topwater

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Wet Flies

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Nymphs

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Streamers

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Salmon Flies

• (saltwater) crabs/baitfish

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Stacked/shaped Deer Hair Flies

• Total voters

Caliborn

Reaction score
I don't get to fish for steelhead and salmon yet but I really enjoy tying the old atlantic salmon flies. They are more art the usefulness to be but very pretty.

okaloosa

Reaction score
24s and 26s
I tie some from the tips and some from the stem if thats what you are asking.but i do parachutes that size also.

TwoThumbsUp

Reaction score
I enjoy tying streamers the most, but when I have a stacked deer hair diver turn out the way I wanted it to, I'm the most satisfied.

coug

Reaction score
No doubt, classic "spey" and dee featherwings for steelhead. I find them the most challenging, mine are often very ugly, but they have a classy look when I get lucky tying one. Plus the steelhead love them. Plus wets and soft hackles. I guess I have a thing for silk thread and floss!

ghostrider408

Reaction score
Steelhead flies. Intruder style flies and tube flies. Some cool patterns are Jerry French's Dirty Hoh, Camo Squid, Ultra Squid, Skinny Hoh variants, Rob Crandall's Devil's Candy and Steelhead Nightmare to name a few. I also enjoy tying classics like General Practitioners, Undertakers, Coal Cars, and other variants on salmon iron hooks. There is just so much that goes into them and the precise placement of materials to effect the swimming action of the fly. They are engineered flies to extract every bit of movement and flow of the materials built into the fly. After spending 30-60 minutes at the vise to create one, you are left with a thing of beauty and a lot of pride. I then can't wait to see how the choice of materials reacts once in the current. As I tie them, they bring me to the rivers and runs of the awe inspiring steelhead rivers that I have fished so far that are forever burned into my soul.