What will I notice between RIO Gold vs SA Infinity

play fair

Reaction score
I need a little advise, good or bad.

I have 2 rods, Radian and NRX (old model and New +) I have been fishing the RIO Gold and I really like the performance. But, I'm curious about the SA Lines.

What will be the biggest difference, I will notice between Gold and I presume, Infinity?.

I like the taper of the Gold. But, I here so much about the new SA Lines. I know there is a big cost difference, too. I just need your opinion.

old timer

Reaction score
SA has a better coating. Infinity is 1/2 line heavy and Gold is a 1/4 line heavy.

They're close to each other. I went with the Infinity and like it. I also liked the Gold. Not much help huh?

hiplainsdrifter

Reaction score
On paper at least, Gold and Trout are comparable, and Perception and Infinity. I just switched from Perception to Infinity because I was dissatisfied with Rio's durability, but I liked the way it cast. Initial impressions of the Infinity are good.

play fair

Reaction score
On paper at least, Gold and Trout are comparable, and Perception and Infinity. I just switched from Perception to Infinity because I was dissatisfied with Rio's durability, but I liked the way it cast. Initial impressions of the Infinity are good.
Well seeing how you mentioned it. I have had some concerns with durability. In the heat of asking and typing I didn't factor that in too.......hmmmm.

JoJer

Reaction score
SA has really hyped the slickness and durability of the coating. They wouldn't lie, would they? I bought one for my daughters 6 wt, but she did't get to try it out last week end- Grand Ronde blown out and scary high.

ryc72

Reaction score
i personally prefer the sa lines. rio lines in general get "tacky" to the touch after a few uses despite cleaning the line. ive used a last gen rio gold 5wt on a 9'0" 5wt radian and prefer the sa infinity smooth mpx line...imo it shoots better out of the box and thus far hasnt required any maintenance. the amplitude mpx line shoots even better but can be rough on the fingers after stripping streamers for an extended period. the new intouch rio coatings are marginally better....great out of the box but i find they get tacky quickly and dont shoot as well after a few uses.

osseous

Reaction score
Rio has a way of making a "smooth" line feel textured. SA is able to pull off smooth, as well as textured. There's no contest on the coating front...until you get to their saltwater offerings.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

proheli

Reaction score
I'm going add a little bit. To me Gold shows its 1/3 line heavyness (only respective to SA Trouts.) once some line is in the air. I find both it and Perception to be excellent menders. Load easy and mend easy, but you feel their weight once some line is in the air. The Trouts will shoot easier, cast distance a little easier, they don't have an issue mending, but to me Gold and Infinity feel like they have fatter bellys. Also, that .3 heavy in the Gold is really going to show itself on the lighter style rods. Scott GS, the smaller Winstons, and anyone else that want's a true weight line. I don't want that to sound like a criticism of Rio because I know they have their own true weight lines like the Creek series (I think) and I don't know what other true weight lines they have. Because I think on a long cast, you can lose a smidge of mendability with the Trouts, I put a true weight 4 wt Orvis Pro trout smooth on my 904. It feels like it is in the middle of the Gold and Trout. Its my new favorite line. Buttery.

zjory

Reaction score
Have a 905 Radian that was lined with Rio intouch gold for the first two years I had it and had to replace it too often. It has been lined with SA amplitude for the past two years as I got tired of the Rio falling apart. Not a big difference in feel or performance between the two lines, but certainly is in durability. Have replaced all my Rio lines with SA or Cortland over the past couple years as they last twice as long.

mtboiler

Reaction score
I was a rio gold guy for years. Got a SA Infinity two years ago...and I will never fish a gold again. Night and day difference plus variety of options to fit what you want. Ok, SA bombed with the shark skin it was terrible. but they nailed it on the Amp series...plus added the smooth option. Amplitude Infinity is their all around textured line. Amplitude trout is a light presentation line. Amplitude MPX is a half size heavier distance or 'power' line. I have cast all three and I prefer the Infinity. But a warning, if you cast it you will buy it!

cooutlaw

Reaction score
As I have opined before....I'm not a fan of RIO Lines coatings, as others have mentioned, there are some considerations to observe, getting tackier with use, sticky when warm, deterioration and de-laminating (cracking peeling) with age perhaps sooner than other coatings....with the in-touch versions being better than standard versions (as they should-they cost more).

The issue, as I see it, is this...the RIO Gold taper is arguably, even being at the heavier end of the weight spectrum, the most universal line design available today....meaning it's long rear taper and body combined with turnover optimized tip section is a taper of great stability, smooth casting, decent for varied payloads, and appropriate for a large variety of rods....even most GS series type moderate action rods can flourish with this line in almost any casters hands and replace the better matched SA Trout taper without much sustained decrease in performance, many/most faster action rods find it equally friendly. Yes, many rods would perform "better" with SA Trout, or even MPX or new (and improved) Infinity versions, depending on purposed payload.

Point: The Golds taper is a baseline test model to adjust from....meaning almost any rod can palate Gold...then one can adjust, if needed at all, from there. Infinity is geared toward universal payload and performs best on rods with some grunt and faster action....it would not be a GS Series type rod optimum choice, and SA Trout Taper (Amplitude, EDT, or otherwise) is geared toward lighter payloads and either moderate action rods or fast rods that benefit from its longer yet rear taper design....and it's full line weight when plenty of line is out of tip for distance shots. IMO, the Gold is an all-arounder and the Trout and Infinity are slightly more rod and payload specific. IF....RIO ever gets their poop together and equals the coating tech of SA...and keeps the Gold taper....other makers will have a competition problem on their hands. Right now, if the other SA options can be used on particular rods as a best match option...they are a logical choice....otherwise....even with the coating issues, for some rods, there still might not be a better choice than Gold being produced right now.

I REALLY want RIO to step up and I keep optimistically waiting for an improved tech from them....because...for some rods Gold is just the best match and it leaves me struggling with the choice of sacrificing matched performance for durability or picking matched line performance over durability.....I don't like the options either way. If your rods match well with SA Infinity or Trout tapers....you needn't look any further......if they don't.....or if you have other payload or technique needs...you may have to just suck up the coating issues and run Gold. Purposed Payloads, matched Rod Performance, and fishing techniques are all contributing factors to line selection. RIO if you are listening.....you nailed the taper...now fix the coating.

justahack

Reaction score
What will be the biggest difference, I will notice between Gold and I presume, Infinity?
Durability. They are really similar in taper and weight, unlikely to notice much or any difference in casting or mending, especially if you are in/on the water and focused on fishing. But the durability? Huge difference. Buy 2-3 rio lines or one SA line for the same number of days on the water. I guess that translates to a cost difference too. Rio is more expensive.

bevanwj

Reaction score
I agree that SA's coatings are superior to Rios. I also think Rio nailed the taper and the weight with their Gold. If only SA had produced their new Infinity with slightly less weight i.e. identical to the Rio Gold, it would be killer. At 150 grains (5 weight) 0.5 heavy Infinity is just a tad too heavy IMO.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
1590635701365.png

Amplitude Infinity ^^^^^

SPECIFICATIONS
LINE WEIGHTHEAD LENGTHTOTAL LENGTHGRAIN WEIGHT*
WF-3-F47.0’/14,3m90’/27,4m110gr/7,2gr
WF-4-F48.0’/14,6m90’/27,4m130gr/8,5gr
WF-5-F49.0’/14,9m90’/27,4m150gr/9,8gr
WF-6-F50.0’/15,2m90’/27,4m175gr/11,2gr
WF-7-F51.0’/15,5m90’/27,4m200gr/12,8gr
WF-8-F52.0’/15,8m90’/27,4m225gr/14,5gr
WF-9-F53.0’/16,2m90’/27,4m260gr/16,9gr
* Grain weight for the first 30′

1590635884300.png

RIO GOLD ^^^^^^^ (146gr in 5wt)

and RIO (making yet another mistake IMO) has eliminated specifications and GR weight from their website unless you select a line by specific size to purchase. But all weights in chart form can be found in a search on the forum from previous publishings. My hangup and belief is that enthusiasts will not take kindly to not having weight specifications of all lines at their disposal right in front of them......I hope this is just a temporary oversight while they update their website and not the final product display.

Last edited:

play fair

Reaction score
Well .... from "the Guy in the Back of the Room" that's been a Member for quite some time and finally asked a question!

I sincerely appreciate the Reply's. So much so, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how the "New Line" works.

Thank to Everyone !

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
As usual I'm am outlier on this topic. I fish SA, Cortland, Airflo and RIO lines based on their taper design, weight and weight distribution based on how they cast and present flies. Every rod I fish has been tested by me with multiple lines and each has its own dedicated reel with its optimal line (for my generally dry fly intentions) without prejudice. I have cast interesting SA Infinity on a few different rods and it is a smart all round design that is NOTHING like Gold. It is not that it is 4 gr. heavier but that the weight is strongly biased toward the front of the taper...fine for nymph rigs, streamers and I suppose a big hopper with a trailing fly, NOT for a single dry for which it is compromised to the point it is not for me. Perhaps in its smooth salt variant. for Scott's GS rods I do favor either SA Trout or RIO Technical Trout, for Radian, Igniter, Truth, NRX...IT Gold period. It is the single finest design for precise presentation coupled with adroit in air and on water line manipulation and control. I has perfect long leader turnover and loop stability. In its InTouch minimal stretch version, my preference for most rods, if has sharper reflexes and response than any line form other makers.

Lat week I fished a 5-weight with a 5 year old original Gold. I felt indeed that it was worn and in need of replacement. There are some nicks and scrapes particularly toward the back end where I have no doubt stepped on it with my boots in a drift boat. However, I was making 40 to 65' casts no problem, it floated fine and I fed dead drifts to the point I was holding colored string in my hand. And it was smooth in my hand an quite through the guides.

I have had favorite fly rods that were fragile and had poor warranties but cast and fished like a dream come true. I fish what fishes best for me, cost cheap or dear and longevity be dammed. Maybe because I'm fishing several rods, individual fly lines seem to last pretty well for me, much better than they used to for sure. The two best (trout) line designs I know are SA's Mastery smooth Expert Distance Taper and better yet (rod dependent) RIO IT Gold. The single best fly line in existence is RIO's DC Bonefish which has truly superior technology but whoes taper is based on Gold's.

hatidua

Reaction score
I like the taper of the Gold. But, I here so much about the new SA Lines. I know there is a big cost difference, too. I just need your opinion.
Not what you want to hear: find one of each to cast, there's enough of each floating around that it shouldn't be too difficult to get them side by side.

I'm personally not a fan of fly lines that are significantly heavier than their stated weight, if it's too light I can go up a line weight but trying to memorize this one as 1/3 heavier that one as 2/3 heavier etc is annoying.

When I recently test cast a number of rods, each shop seemed to put the heaviest line on a given rod that they could find. I don't know if this is due to my being over 1,000 miles from saltwater and they assume nobody can get a rod to load with a properly weighted line or if they just like the rods to all be sluggish but I found it very irritating.

Any decent shop should have a demo line or two of the models they carry. Take it out back and cast it a few times, the decision should be fairly easy at that point.