What will I notice between RIO Gold vs SA Infinity

falcon53

Reaction score
I have had two coating issues with Rio Lines. I believe I clipped a small branch when casting that contributed to the coating peeling (5wt Gold). I sent the line in to Rio and told them what I did and they replaced it anyway. I don't know for sure that this was the only reason why it was damaged.

Another instance the coating on a 9wt Rio Permit cracked. I showed the line to the Rio Rep at Edison and he told me to send it in for warranty. The line was almost new. Rio replaced the Permit line with the new In Touch. and they indicated the line was defective. So they stand behind their product.

I really like both Gold and Permit.

I agree with Cooutlaw on Rio's lack of easy available info on grain/head weights etc. on Rio 's website. It really annoys me. If I have a question I go to Rio's chat window and ask about grain weight, head length etc. The rep always indicates this is avail on the site. I respond your website is too annoying for me to use.

Last edited:

bevanwj

Reaction score
I have cast interesting SA Infinity on a few different rods and it is a smart all round design that is NOTHING like Gold. It is not that it is 4 gr. heavier but that the weight is strongly biased toward the front of the taper...fine for nymph rigs, streamers and I suppose a big hopper with a trailing fly, NOT for a single dry for which it is compromised to the point it is not for me.
I may well be wrong but it was my understanding that Infinity's taper was very similar to Gold's. If one looks at the specs and diagrams provided by both companies they certainly appear to be very similar. The most obvious difference being in the belly profile. Infinity slopes while Gold is level. Interestingly, Trident Fly Fishing in their Fly Line Reviews describes Gold's taper as having "a continuously sloping belly which transitions into a long rear taper". This seems to contradict Rio's diagram which clearly depicts the belly as level. If Trident is correct that would make any difference between Infinity and Gold negligible. Does Gold's belly taper or is it level?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
They both have long rear tapers, good, but that is the only similarity. It is that rearward slop in the diagram you mention that I am refereeing to. It illustrates what you feel when casting it...the weight is heavily biased toward the front while the Gold's is distributed through the head then transitioning into the rear attenuated taper. Infinity is somewhat like a detuned saltwater Grand Slam line for trout sized payloads...and I plan on trying it in the salt this season. Gold has a little aggressiveness to its taper as well but far, far more adroit and geared toward long leader turnover at all distances.

I have been fishing Gold since it was in prototype form as it was sent to me by its designer, now retired, the great John Harder. I have several of various ages in service in both original and newer IT versions. Somehow, I have avoided the cracks, peels and stickiness others have experienced and have never even had a welded loop fail (though admittedly I mechanically reinforce them when new with a 12+ turn Nail Knot of Fluoro tippet material). I fished an SA Amplitude Smooth Bonefish on the LI flats a couple of days ago. It is a line I like but I wish I had rigged the RIO DC Bonefish instead. Oh, and if you want to try a line that like the IT has a limited stretch core there is Airflo...then you will really experience how much a floating line can coil twist and scrape with its so thick, soft poly coating. And if you like poly coatings and want a good one try Cortland's Liquid Crystal Blue.

hiplainsdrifter

Reaction score
They both have long rear tapers, good, but that is the only similarity. It is that rearward slop in the diagram you mention that I am refereeing to. It illustrates what you feel when casting it...the weight is heavily biased toward the front while the Gold's is distributed through the head then transitioning into the rear attenuated taper. Infinity is somewhat like a detuned saltwater Grand Slam line for trout sized payloads...and I plan on trying it in the salt this season. Gold has a little aggressiveness to its taper as well but far, far more adroit and geared toward long leader turnover at all distances.
It's worth remembering that long leader turnover is not a priority in all fishing scenarios. I rarely fish a leader longer than my rod on my local freestones. There, a forward weighted head is a good thing when you have little line out.

osseous

Reaction score
I fished smooth Infinity and MPX in New Zealand last year, and turned over 18' leaders with giant foam Cicada patterns. What those lines don't accel at is aerial mending or roll casting. Lighter line is trying to affect heavier with those reverse tapers. Gold functions more like a DT in this regard. Best of class for delicate dry fly work and creative casting though, is the triangle style of the Orvis Pro Trout. If you really want to paint it- that's your huckleberry

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

justahack

Reaction score
Interesting thread. OP asked about comparisons between the two lines, presumably as applied to fishing. Many of our responses have not been terribly specific about when and how perceived differences might matter. Well, at least mine were not. I commented that current SA lines tend to last longer than current Rio lines. That’s based on my having comparatively few fly rods and consequently fishing each of them for many, many more hours per year. Rio lines crack and rip much easier and/or stop floating much sooner than do SA lines. I don’t have enough hours with Airflo, Barrio, or Cortland to compare. Besides, the OP wasn’t asking about those brands. For those who have many fly rods the circumstances are likely different. Those folks maybe fish an individual line for no more than a couple hundred hours in a given year, and so probably won’t notice a difference in line durability. So, if the OP isn’t going to fish the line more than a few hundred hours in a year, then my comments are on durability are irrelevant. I also said the tapers are pretty darn similar. But I should have been clearer that I meant with respect to fishing them, rather than casting them. I stand by that, and would wager that anyone in the thick of actually fishing under varied conditions would notice little to no difference between the two lines in question if they didn’t know which was on the reel. If on the other hand, they were on a casting pond or some similar calm place without fish, where they could focus totally on how the line casts ~ well maybe then there would be a perceptible difference. When I fish, I don’t think about casting. I just fish. And I like gear that lasts as long as I do.

jdwy

Reaction score
I was a rio gold guy for years. Got a SA Infinity two years ago...and I will never fish a gold again. Night and day difference plus variety of options to fit what you want. Ok, SA bombed with the shark skin it was terrible. but they nailed it on the Amp series...plus added the smooth option. Amplitude Infinity is their all around textured line. Amplitude trout is a light presentation line. Amplitude MPX is a half size heavier distance or 'power' line. I have cast all three and I prefer the Infinity. But a warning, if you cast it you will buy it!
I agree, I'm done with Rio, I have Amp. Smooth Infinity on my 905 Radian and if I do my part it cast like a cannon. I put SA Smooth Infinity Trout on my new 905 Scott GS and in my opinion it's a perfect match too.

Uncle Stu

Reaction score
Q: Which is better, Rio or SA? Answer: Airflo.

Seriously--I fish mostly in the surf, couple days a week, dragging rocks and kelp which is hard on the lines. Airflo lasts longer. Sorry, I can't address the actual subject of the OP.

myt1

Reaction score
Somehow, I have avoided the cracks, peels and stickiness others have experienced and have never even had a welded loop fail (though admittedly I mechanically reinforce them when new with a 12+ turn Nail Knot of Fluoro tippet material).
Can you please explain exactly how you do this?

Sadly, I have definitely had a loop delaminate on one of my Rio Gold lines, although it was admittedly 5 years old and my go-to line during that time frame.

Does the Nail Knot change the casting characteristics?

Thanks.

pati

Reaction score
If after the most universal taper then no doubt you should be looking towards Lee Wulff TT or Orvis Pro Trout (the later being made by SA, no idea who makes the Wulff lines).

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
SA makes the Wulff lines.

Any welded loop can fail as it is but a thermo-chemical bonding some 75% the strength of the line itself (trout lines are approx. 35# test). I tie a multi-turn nail knot over the doubled portion of the weld and coat it with UV cure resin thus physically locking it together.

The upper loop-to-loop is a Braid to reinforced fly line loop, the lower is a direct splice of line to Braid.
T19 071 Braided Butt vs.jpg

wthorpe

Reaction score
I used Rio Gold lines for years pretty much to the exclusion of anything else. Last few years i have had some issues involving coiling i could not get out, and premature wear. i started to buy SA lines. But i also sent the Rio lines back and in each case they replaced them, including one line whose demise likely resulted from me falling in a boat and entangling a line in a motor (I guess they liked that story so much they felt bad about not replacing the line for the village idiot). Point is: have had some issues but their customer service is top notch. i will likely buy more of them as the need arises.