What Would You Tell Your Younger Self About Fly Fishing?

ryc72

Reaction score
Start fly fishing before you meet your future wife, get married and have kids...the price you have to pay for a new obsession post marriage/kids is just way too high.

MCHammer

Reaction score
Don't hang around the far edges of the casting practice pools (if you're lucky enough to live near some, as I was growing up), casting alone. Go to the clubhouse and try to meet some of those "old" guys. They will probably be happy to help you with your casting, and might even tell you where to fish next.

LOC

Reaction score
Don't hang around the far edges of the casting practice pools (if you're lucky enough to live near some, as I was growing up), casting alone. Go to the clubhouse and try to meet some of those "old" guys. They will probably be happy to help you with your casting, and might even tell you where to fish next.
This is sound advice. I was at a casting clinic when I first started and the instructor ask for a volunteer. When no one raised there hands I said to myself get in there and take advantage of learning.

LePetomane

Reaction score
By the time you have money to burn the fire will be out. Take your exotic trips early while you are healthy. When I was 55 my wife and I traveled to Ketchum, Idaho. I was feeling kind of crappy for the first three days. The fourth day, I could not get out of bed. An attack of inflammatory bowel disease put me down for the count. Not fun. I had a concoction of emergency meds prescribed by my GI doctor so I was able to tough it out.

ddb

Reaction score
You will go through stages chasing the most, biggest, most exotic, and difficult to fool fish. If you work hard at it and are the kind of person I'd want you to become, the realization will come that this is all nonsense compared to being involved in an activity that, in itself, rewards you greatly in the doing and, at moments, is holy.

GEK79

Reaction score
My how time flies! The older I get the faster the years seem to slip by and I now realize there are a finite number of fishing days and fishing trips in my future. I'm thankful for my grandfather, as a fishing mentor, who began taking me fishing at age 2. We used cane poles, bobbers, and earth worms, and enjoyed many happy hours on the creeks and ponds near his Carolina farm. A bobber dancing up and down still excites me. Fishing has been a strong passion my entire life. However, I came to fly fishing in later years. If I could go back and talk to my younger self, one thing I would certainly say is, "Don't wait to get into fly fishing. While you've got good health, strength, and energy, find a mentor and learn. It will take you places and teach you things you'll benefit from and enjoy the rest of your life." Now, one of my greatest joys is teaching my college-age son the basics of our sport and seeing his enthusiasm grow. What about you? If you could go back and talk to your younger self about fly fishing, what would you say?
Casting lessons.. Take them...

Reactions: Ard