What Would You Tell Your Younger Self About Fly Fishing?

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably time to say something or you guys will think I didn't read the posts, yep read them. I didn't settle down as a married man until I was 50 years old and I did that here in Alaska. I've been doing this since I was a kid and I've fished quite a bit. I like to say I retired at age 34 because that was the year I resigned from a job after 15 years and never worked for someone else again. That alone will free up some life for you if being single wasn't enough...........

Here's the part that may sound dramatic but it's the truth. I wouldn't change a thing because the real enjoyment I've gotten from this was figuring out all the things I think I know.

What was that tattoo in the Milky Way candy bar commercial? :)

Last edited:

stilis

Reaction score
Fly fishing is NOT an old man's sport. I missed a life changing opportunity when I was young thinking that Fly Fishing was something you do when your old.

On a related note, careers are good, but happiness is better.

Reactions: Ard

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
All the money you're spending on beer in college could be used to take fly fishing trips in all kinds of neat places. Beats the heck out of beer.

Last edited:

WWKimba

Reaction score
There will two days when you go fishing One, days you catch fish and two, days you don't catch fish! Enjoy and learn something each of these days. Oh, and on the day you are going to meet your future ex-wife - go fishing instead - I guarantee you'll like the results more!

Kim

flytie09

Reaction score
Here are a few:

- Learn how to fish subsurface.... nymphs, soft hackles, flypmhs, and streamers waaaayy sooner
- Stay away from Korker boots
- Learn your knots
- Buy a nice vise
- Veevus thread
- take a casting lesson
- chill the f-out

mtboiler

Reaction score
Man, if only!!
First and Foremost, stay out of the clearance bins when at a fly shop looking at fly tying materials!!! 50% off junk is still junk just in your bins not there's! Plus, there is a reason it is in there....no one uses it!!
And someone else said it before but never no regrets. The one time I did not have a fly rod with me and I should have taught me a valuable lesson. Carry it everywhere and if you do have it, use it. Don't look back and say I wish I would have fished that water, etc.
Finally, get away from the beaten path and spend some time hiking to waters. When I was younger I never did that. The last 7 or 8 years that is about all I do.
Fortunately, my fly fishing obsession has done two great things. Made me far more patient. And I think I might be in the best shape of my life at 53 due in part to how much I hike to fish. That obsession has taken me to some incredible lakes with incredible views. I once joked I would hike 15 miles round trip to catch one fish. Now, I actually do it more that I can count on my fingers in a year.

mike126

Reaction score
Take advantage of your youth and fish often and as many places you can. Also find a significant other that likes to fish or at least be outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thomasw

Reaction score
Looking back I would've taken my children fly fishing more than I did. On my deathbed, I will not be wishing I had spent more time with work. My regret is that I didn't raise my children in the Kootenays...

weiliwen

Reaction score
Several folks got to my answer before I did - Do More Fly Fishing while you're young, and before you are encumbered with wife, kids, 9-5 job, house, yardwork, etc.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree about the internet. There are so many valuable educational videos on the internet of great use to the novice and experienced alike.
I wish I had such a resource in the 1960's when there was so little available. I would rather watch a video that read a book about fishing techniques any day. Youtube can be a gold mine of information. Of course, I still maintain the best resource is hiring a guide who really knows the fishery you want to master.
I think what he means is that, for many, the internet is a vast time-sucker. Absolutely, the volume of great info about how to fly fish, fly tie, where to go, etc., is awesome, but too many people check their smart phone every time Kim Kardashian tweets. How many people do you see walking down a city street with their noses next to a smart phone? Seems like more than half.

Acheron

Reaction score
I tried very hard to think of things and nothing of any substance came up. Random thoughts like, buy a nicer rod sooner, tie more of your own flies, clean your line once in a while, and a whole host of others, most of which I still don't do :D

In the end, I've learned easy and hard lessons, I appreciate them all (even if I didn't at the time) and can't say I should change anything. I yam what I yam.

Everything happens because it happens, the way it supposed to happen, and that is just, and what's meant to be. Expectations are imaginations, they distract from the journey.

Bigfly

Reaction score
The guests I have that think fish are dumb, usually do the worst at meeting fish.
The next level up, is the Que sara sara type....they can take ten years to learn, what I can teach in a day....
(Been told that many times) and often will resist...or forget before they can get to the water again.
The stubborn universal fisher is their own worst enemy.
I say that because I've been in recovery for the last 30 years.
The first 20, I was a classic case of passionate bumble.
There is help, when you admit you have a problem.....

Jim

Last edited: