What Would You Tell Your Younger Self About Fly Fishing?

Meuniere

Reaction score
Since I started early, I guess I'd have to say "keep at it" and not to let other things get in the way. One of the best means of making this happen is to be involved with other people who do the same thing, regardless of wherever anyone may be on the learning curve, because it never ends. If self-motivation was all it took, we'd all be wallowing in something- but there is nothing as energizing as helping others learn, and learning from others. I didn't know that, for a long time.

silver creek

Reaction score
Learn to cast and mend WELL.

If you cannot place the fly, leader and line where it is needed for success, you will not succeed.

I have found fly fishers who have fished for years who do not know how to make aerial mends and place the fly accurately. So although they use the right fly, in the right size, and know how to read the water, etc, etc; they fail at presenting the fly.

Last edited:

mjm6

Reaction score
  • Backpack to those alpine lakes and remote streams when you can while you can. What they say about the legs going first is true.
  • There are more flyfishing adventures than trout and smallies...try salt sooner than later
  • Don't wait until your 6th decade to get to Alaska
My father and I used to hit the high country in the West as often as we could... He's 80 now and still has great mobility, but the trips to the high country are 10 years gone now... I'm trying to meet up with him 2x a year to do some fishing before he loses his ability to wade (we live on opposite sides of the country), so this advice it very good to think about, especially if you enjoy the freezing cold waters and the small but plentiful cuts, brookies, and golden trout in the high country.

My biggest regret and advice to my younger self would have been to recognize the importance of flyfishing to my general well being and make sure that my choice in partner is also a strong outdoors person (and maybe even fisherwoman) so that we can spend all that time on the stream TOGETHER in one form or another. It would have made my 20s and 30s a bit easier to manage and I would have been on the water a lot more.

Oregonipa

Reaction score
I would tell myself that I didn't have to keep and eat every fish that I caught. My mom cooked me a lot of trout when I was young... Along those lines, "crushed barbs are cool", "keep em wet", "reels with a drag are a drag", "don't wait until you're forty to buy wading boots", and "dry shake is the s&%$!"