When to plan Michigan trip?

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have some Wyoming and PA friends who are talking about a week trip to the famous trout streams in LP Michigan. They are talking the first week in May which sounds early to me. Am I wrong or would mid to late May or even early June provide better trout fishing?

Appreciate any thoughts from those familiar with those rivers.

Thanks,

Don

bonefish41

Reaction score
Starting point about a week after opening of all class 1 and 2 streams the last Saturday in April...weather dependent as in heavy rain blowing out the river ...I'm primarily late winter early spring Steel and late fall Steel...but according to my learned counsel, Mike Batcke owner of Stealthcraft, Baldwin Creek Lodge and Manistee River Lodge...May is the traditional trout month as in dries, wet flies, nymphs, streamers fished traditionally...no bobbers, sash weights, no center pinning, no mousing with glow lines, no hexing when you cannot see the end of your rod tip...it end of first week to end of May ...what rivers what outfitter/guides to cut down on the learning curve and pick your central location to fish your rivers/streams during the week days don't blow week days traveling...that's when most are off the water..e.g. arrive on a sunday fish monday to friday recover saturday go home sunday and not likely to see any(certainly not many) yakers or canoeists during week in mid may...

jjcm

Reaction score
Early May is Hendricksons… The dry fly fishing was good in May this year; the entire month was productive. Right in the beginning of May, I spent some time at river and connected with quality fish. There were some excellent hatches this year.

Once you get into June you are looking at hatches like the drakes and the hex. This is just my opinion, but if coming from out-of-state and planning a fly-fishing trip around this time, it might be worth it to try and get dates that correspond to the hex hatch, especially if the group has never fished this hatch before.

It's hard to give trip advice for a specific week to go in because things change one year to the next, but generally speaking the two times you mentioned -early May and then into June- can be excellent.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Once you get into June you are looking at hatches like the drakes and the hex. This is just my opinion, but if coming from out-of-state and planning a fly-fishing trip around this time, it might be worth it to try and get dates that correspond to the hex hatch, especially if the group has never fished this hatch before.
Make sure you've got plenty of mosquito repellant, and possibly look into a Thermacell. I've seen a fair number of people wearing netting over their heads.

jjcm

Reaction score
Yeah. And don't let a sunny river side spot fool you, come nightfall it will be overrun by mosquitos. I think the worse mosquitos are the ones that live on the PM at Gleasons Landing. I don't know why, but the skeeters and ticks around that area have been very aggressive the past few years.