--- Where are the ~8' 7wts?? ---

blopez50

Reaction score
Hello all,
Long time lurker. Lucky to live in MT and have great water nearby.
I've been gravitating towards streamer fishing over the last couple years and have plenty of rods in the arsenal.

I recently got a chance to fish a Sage Bass 2 on some smaller water and really enjoyed it. Now I need a short 7wt.

The problem is that I can't seem to find anyone making such a thing. I have found some glass rods but would greatly prefer graphite.

Does anyone know of something I've missed or overlooked?

Thanks in advance!

jayr

Reaction score
Although it is not graphite, the Fenwick FF807 is highly regarded still. You can find them on the used market on occasion. I have the FF806 and it does very well.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Welcome. You would have to find one used, but in addition to the Bass II Smallmouth (and the original Bass model), G Loomis made a rod a few years back called the Short Stix.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
If you'd consider stepping up to an 8 wt, the Hardy Zane (not the Zane Pro) comes in an 8' 8 wt. Also, it may be tough to find, but the original Orvis Recon was offered in a 7'10" or 7'11" 8 wt.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Deerfield makes an 8 foot 7 weight, very nice rods too. I don't own this model specifically but the two others I have are exceptional fishing sticks, great return privilege too.

trev

Reaction score
I think short rods is fiberglass excels. There are many "vintage" rods 8' and under in the 7wt.
I suspect the reason there aren't lots of graphite offerings is that in that length and weight the stiff rods aren't so much fun. Stiff is what "high modulus" means. In longer rods the added length lets the line create a bit more bend. Just my thoughts, no science or research. But less than 8'6" I prefer 'glass and 8'6" or longer I want graphite.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
the Deerfield rods are quite parabolic in action, very smooth, mine are extremely versatile. One model I have makes up into and 8' for 4,5 and 6 along with an 8'9" in 3,4 and 5, lovely smooth action even in the 6wt which I guess defies short graphite rod action.

blopez50

Reaction score
I own a T&T 7wt that is 8.5' in excellent shape which might interest you. PM me if it does.
I would certainly be interested in details on it. I can't seem to figure out how to send a PM on here.... Don't have the "start conversation" button....

blopez50

Reaction score
Just another bump up hoping that ThomasW will see that I can’t PM yet and shoot me a message!

new2flyfishing

Reaction score
Deerfield makes an 8 foot 7 weight, very nice rods too. I don't own this model specifically but the two others I have are exceptional fishing sticks, great return privilege too.
First I'd ever heard of these rods so I had to do a little research. Interesting concept. Using the inserts you can change it to an 8'6" 6wt or 5wt and using both inserts a 9' 4t. Reviews are almost non-existent. Here is one from June 14, 2014 by an administrator on here....mcnerney.

blopez50

Reaction score
In case anyone here is curious or looking for something similar, I ended up getting a Scott Sector 8’4” 6wt.
I’ve only got to toss it around on the grass but will get to fish it hard next weekend.
So far I really like it. The only think 6wt about it is the writing on the side. It’s a 7wt.

Next step is a little good luck cork work.
(Pic is of my recently done Maverick)

2C0700EB-23F0-4D67-AE52-1DAFFC743BAE.jpeg