Where did you fish today? (This week?)

knotjoe

Reaction score
I’ll admit that I don’t fish that much. 15 or so days per year on the flats and maybe 10 or so on streams and rivers here in Kentucky.
This piques my curiosity and I see it a lot in flyfishing. Is it due to other obligations and life’s busy-ness or just a preference for certain types of fishing water, species, or even proximity to fishable water?

I’ve spent my life in close proximity to accessible fishing waters anywhere I’ve had an address and will flyfish just about anywhere for any species. If I were just a creek and river guy, I bet it’d cut my annual outings by about 80% in Indiana just due to flooding and muddy conditions in most years. Not a big fish hunter, either, so that right there opens up scads of flyfishing opportunities for me.

denver1911

Reaction score
I have fly-fished since my mother got me my first fly rod with S&H Green Stamps in the 1970s. I’ve been through phases of on/off. Girls, Military service, motorcycles, kids, college, and the likes. My current situation is that I work all week (not yet retired), live in my own little (48 acre) forest that needs caring for, and have a wife that is an active sporting clays shooter that keeps us traveling on weekends for tournaments. That and the fact that saltwater flats have forever ruined me for freshwater fish. Sure, I still visit the mountains a few times per year for wild back-country trout, but it’s just not in the same league (for me) as stalking a permit on the flats. I have caught thousands of wild mountain brook trout. No exaggeration .. thousands. Love them to death. Have a tattoo that shows off their remarkable coloration. But for me, at this time, I’d rather build hiking trails in my woods or caddy for my wife at a big shoot than do that kind of fishing more than a couple days per year. Same for local warmwater. We have some beautiful smallmouth rivers and creeks nearby. But they just don’t call my name like they used to. I got to know our best tailwater so intimately I could tell when a gravel bar had moved six inches after a big rain. I caught thousands of trout from that river. And it was a great period of my fishing life. But that season has passed. It may come again, but for now, I’ll keep up the property, watch my wife shoot (and join her sometimes too), and chase permit with the enthusiasm of a 9-yr-old on Christmas morning .. whenever I get the chance .. which will be Sunday BTW.

MichiganMax

Reaction score
Vacationed with the family in Northern Michigan last week. I made it out to the Bear Creek, the Little Manistee and the Big Manistee as well as a small man-made lake at the end of our road. I did well on pan fish in the lake and caught a bunch of creek chubs in the Little Manistee, one small rainbow in Bear Creek. On Friday I went out with my 8 year-old daughter to 'our spot' on the Manistee and caught a decent rainbow and decent brown that we brought home for dinner. All in all, a good week of fishing for me and the family.

Reactions: Ard

RunNGun

Reaction score
We fished a little spring creek about one an a half hours away from home yesterday. The water has been low but it got a little bump on Friday night so we thought we'd give it a shot. Things were pretty slow but we managed a few browns and a couple brookies. Nadine caught the best and the most. Lol20210713_081336.jpg

darkshadow

Reaction score
Fished Pyramid Lake (not THAT Pyramid Lake) for some good largemouth and smallmouth action.

Then, I rode my bike to our local pond a few miles away and catch a few sunny fish on the 3 weight before heading home. They'll attack anything that's thrown, although tossing a little terrestrial is my favorite. There have been open water bass boils at this little pond (because somehow, threadfin shad found their way inside) but there's no way I can make a 100 foot cast to the middle of the lake.

But tossing a small Kastmaster on a spinning rod works!

Reactions: Ard

trev

Reaction score
Monday I drove the ~80 miles to a wild trout stream (stocked with McCloud River rainbows in the late 1880s) and fished for wild trout for the first time in my life, only caught 5" parr marked babies, dang if they don't look just like tame trout, but it is a nice little stream and i may go back some day. Then I stopped by the trout park on the way home and broke off a couple of tame trout.
Fished the little 6'6" Phillipson on the wild stream and the 7'6" Fenwick in the park.
Took a camera but forgot to use it, oh well.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Well, I started off on a little mountain stream today. The one nobody except for me fishes. Around noon I was in Alaska casting for a blackmouth but ended the day back on that mountain stream. Hopefully Friday I will get out of my mind and enjoy some reality fishing.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
american river, south of cal expo area..3 hits from stripers..i think,, 1 fish to net , striper.. about 6 pounds... i stopped fishing for trout anywhere local around sacramento, tahoe area.. water to warm, and low.. try for more stripers, in a few days..new fish for me to catch.. never tryed for them before..new learning exp.

mtboiler

Reaction score
I fished three times last week. I am pretty sure I will fish three days this week...Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Where did I fish..."in the water!!":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

frickerdog

Reaction score
I fish the Ho-ho-kus Brook most mornings while my daughter is at swim practice. It is neither a famous nor great stream, but it is close to the pool. June is a lot of fun as the bluegill and bass are very actively rising, but this time if year is very slow. I caught 2 bluegill today in 90 minutes.

LePetomane

Reaction score
I fished a stream in the Bighorn Mountains that gets pounded this time of the year. I was feeling adventuresome so I went pretty far upstream to get away from the crowds. Caddis were everywhere. I tries 2 different sizes of Elk Hair Caddis. I ended up taking some nice fish (cutthroats) on a tan CDC Loop Wing Emerger. This has become my "go to" fly when nothing else works. No pics. With water, GPS locator, revolver, etc.., it just adds too much weight.

I used an 8'3" 4 weight bamboo rod paired with a Hardy Featherweight reel. Perfect combination.

Scenery was beautiful. I saw a few moose including one large bull.

CDC is the one material that I don't enjoy tying with. Maybe yesterday will change my mind. Here's the fly.

IMG_1637.jpg

el jefe

Reaction score
This piques my curiosity and I see it a lot in flyfishing. Is it due to other obligations and life’s busy-ness or just a preference for certain types of fishing water, species, or even proximity to fishable water?

I’ve spent my life in close proximity to accessible fishing waters anywhere I’ve had an address and will flyfish just about anywhere for any species. If I were just a creek and river guy, I bet it’d cut my annual outings by about 80% in Indiana just due to flooding and muddy conditions in most years. Not a big fish hunter, either, so that right there opens up scads of flyfishing opportunities for me.
I'm a bit like denver1911 myself, in that my fishing goes in fits and starts. It's due to a number of things: trying to run businesses in a Covid era; kids in youth hockey, which has me coaching and organizing, making it into a year-round endeavor, and a kid playing in another state; a kid with serious health problems that sometimes keeps me around the house so that I can help ease my wife's burden. (I have literally left the house at the same time as the ambulance when going fishing and taking my other kids on hockey trips.) When my kids were younger and less active, I used to spend a lot of time up on the San Juan, and up in southern CO. As my dad has gotten older and slowed down and barely fishes anymore, my own fishing has declined. I didn't realize how much of my fishing was geared around spending time with my dad until he slowed down that much. (Do it while you can!) Things are coming back around, and my fishing is starting to ramp back up. In the meantime, I've stayed connected by building rods, and practicing my casting a few times a week in my backyard.