Where did you fish today? (This week?)

Acheron

Reaction score
Since March I've been hitting lots of rivers with public water within a few hours of Denver and even took a trip to Wyoming. They are all the standard rivers and creeks that you read about or are recommended by shops and books for fly fishing in Colorado, after all, there aren't many secrets here.

I am not sure how many trips/days, offhand I can count ~20 since April.

Based on my last couple of trips, it's now time to hit the trails. I love the diversity of fishing here, everything from warm plains to cool foothills to cold high mountains. The inner-tubing masses can have the S. Platte now, it's only fair when it's 100 and that water is nice and cool, and the canyon is likely filled beyond its' rim, and that's ok too...it keeps them away from "my" summer places. :)

Reactions: Ard

mike126

Reaction score
Ok this just sucks! The weekends are a disaster on the MD VA and PA streams with too many people. I only fish weekdays which means working it around work and I’ve been super busy. And to and insult to injury all the streams close by are running in the upper 60’s to low 70’s!!!

I guess I need to get priorities straight.

I am envious of all these great locations that everyone is sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alfaromeo

Reaction score
went for stipers on the american river last night, with my 6 weight... after 2 hours of casting and changing flys..no fish.. had my 9 foot 3 weight with me to work the back waters of the american river... for panfish... but instead. caught a lot of 12 to 14 inch sacramento pikeminnow.. they hit your fly quick..not much time to react but fun to catch.. going back out this evening for some more action... they dont pose much if any problem on the american river.. they dont get that big.. taking to a fish and game guy.. native amercians liked to catch them... they fight pretty hard

flytie09

Reaction score
You guys rock and suck. Such beautiful places. I get to fish along an old paper mill with something dead stinking in the bushes. Trout were rising though. Woo!

alfaromeo

Reaction score
caught about 20 ish pikeminnows tonight.. smallest from base of my 3 weight rod to top of the handle... the rest a few inches bigger.. they hit the fly quick.. you must pay attention or you will miss.. grup type nymphs worked the best.. but i caught some on a caddis fly dry that was fun..next time, will use my 4 weight.. the 3 weight was a little outgunned

Last edited:

frickerdog

Reaction score
56CB5254-B01A-4F7A-8EB9-986478B954F9.jpeg
This is where I go before work while my daughter is at swim practice. I mostly get sunnies and small bass, but it is stocked trout water in spring so there is an ocassional holdover. It dumps into a large pond about 100 yards downstream of this photo. Also, not as beautiful as some posters’ spots, but not bad considering it’s about 15 miles as the crow flies to midtown Manhattan.

Surprisingly, water temp was in the low 70s today so the sunnies were pretty active, again hitting on a cricket fly. Fun fishing with my light 4wt. R

Acheron

Reaction score
not as beautiful as some posters’ spots
Looks great to me! One thing I miss living in Colorado are the lush, green forests, trees, moss, etc. that comes from having moisture. Everything here is brown/red dirt, pine needles, and rocks/sand...lots and lots of rocks and sand. The pine/evergreen forests have an awesome smell first thing in the morning but cannot hold a candle the smells and sounds contained within the much greener forest areas of the country, in my opinion.

el jefe

Reaction score
Looks great to me! One thing I miss living in Colorado are the lush, green forests, trees, moss, etc. that comes from having moisture. Everything here is brown/red dirt, pine needles, and rocks/sand...lots and lots of rocks and sand. The pine/evergreen forests have an awesome smell first thing in the morning but cannot hold a candle the smells and sounds contained within the much greener forest areas of the country, in my opinion.
You're right. I grew up in Michigan. It's nothing but dry, dusty earth and rocks out here in the west. Even the trees are dry, what trees exist. They have stately oaks; we have scrawny scrub oaks. You can't compete with the forests and moisture and scents of the Midwest and the Northeast. So you can see for miles, BFD. That's because there's nothing TO SEE. The west can't hold a candle to eastern U.S.. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

flav

Reaction score
Speaking of lush and green.....sorta.
I fished this river, a half hour from home, a couple times this week. Normally it is all lush and green, but if you notice the tops of the trees are all turning brown and dried leaves are falling. I noticed this last September just before big wildfires erupted and burned out of control. It's only mid July, and I've been seeing this for weeks, so I'm pretty concerned. I'm visiting a lot of the local rivers and taking photos because I know it could easily go up in smoke and I'd like to be able to remember things the way they looked.
Water has been warm, but if I head upstream I can find water temps in the low 60's and the 50's. Last evening the PMD's were hatching and every trout in the river seemed to be up eating on top.
IMG_20210720_161436263.jpg