Where is Ard?

quadesherwood

Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Ard lately? I shot him an email, but no response.

Quade

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

quadesherwood

Reaction score
I should have checked that before I posted. Just haven't seen his great pics and thorough posts in a while. Ive been busy myself.

Quade

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

wthorpe

Reaction score
Based on the title of the thread, the content was a letdown. ;) I expected a deep woods shot with Ard expertly camouflaged and to be located ... as in a "Where's Waldo" scene. Hmmm. Maybe clever photographers could do "Where's the Trout," shots with the trout carefully camo'd on the bottom?

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Quade I'll be in touch.

A long time ago (maybe 9 years) I spent the bulk of the winter at the cabin, 75 miles off the road system and no internet. Back then it was really off the grid because there wasn't even a cell phone signal out there. By the time I came home in March I'd been there since December. I found that there was a great deal of concern even from forum friends who knew I was headed out to a bush camp. No one figured I'd stay out there with no electricity or running water for 9 weeks I guess.

I actually did go to the cabin last week but was only gone for 4 days. That's 4 days of hard work because I hadn't been there this summer, small trees and grass / hay about 3 feet tall and I have close to an acre of cleared land around the cabin. Mowing things down takes 2 days. I use a DR Field & Brush Mower, fantastic piece of equipment. After I got cleared out I started prep for a storage building and by the time I got home late Monday night I was pretty beat. Tuesday was what I've come to call 'a lost day' meaning that the exhaustion resulting from 4 days having that much fun catch up and you are worthless. It's sorta weird, while the work is happening I don't get tired, I can keep at it 12 hours a day but when I leave that place and get home I crash for a day or two.

I didn't even check e-mail until Friday night Quade, sorry, I'll be in touch.

kumachan

Reaction score
The joys of getting wiser. Nowadays, my body is fine the day after I do any real manual labor or decide to practice judo for the first time in years. Two days after, my body totally crashes and I’m useless for that day.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
The joys of getting wiser. Nowadays, my body is fine the day after I do any real manual labor or decide to practice judo for the first time in years. Two days after, my body totally crashes and I’m useless for that day.
I get that!

In my case this entails the joys of owning a remote property. Here in Alaska there are many possible spoots where a cabin can be more remote but a 75 mile boat or snowmachine trip each way seems fairly extreme when compared to anything you could access from a road using truck or car. I've been doing this for going on 2 decades now and each year my first summer visit comes later in the year. That timing gives the grass and other assorted growth plenty of a head start and it can be somewhat overwhelming on arrival. But I'm conditioned to it, I have a process that after a few days leaves the place looking occupied but then I usually have to leave.

That property is a 33 acre piece with just 3/4 acre or so cleared which does a wonderful job of keeping the bugs down. Meanwhile back at a home 7 miles from Wasilla AK. there sits another property that needs me there. Another large lawn, flower beds , pots and window boxes that will either grow too high or perish from lack of water if I stay away too long. So....... right about the time I have the cabin on the lake squared away and could presumably relax and watch the loons it's time to take a boat ride and then get busy at home. Remote property ownership at its best :)

No chance of a caretaker out there to keep things cleared so it falls on the lucky cabin owner. After 4 days of that I have no need for exercise.