Where to buy creel bag?

james82

Reaction score
This may spark an undesired debate about the extent and limits of catch and release but I am one of those who will take some home during the course of a year (Trout Unlimited has had "limit your kill" not "eliminate all kill") and have been trying l number ofto find a bag creel which has pockets for gear and has a classic look. I thought certain Hardy bags would serve my purpose but they are just for gear. Barbour has one but it costs close to $400. There are a few cheap ones I have seen which may or may not be fine from the perspective of function but leave something to desire in terms of appearance. Anyone know where I could find what I am looking for?

labradorguy

Reaction score
Denver Tent Company. Arctic Creel. Made in the USA. Nice size, removable tackle pouches, D-rings.

Of course I only use mine to gather walnuts...... :D

If you go that route, please tell him Jason with the Boy Scouts referred you. :)

james82

Reaction score
The arcticreel looks like a good product. I might prefer something with a little bit more of the appearance of the Hardy bags but depending on what else is or is not out the arcticreel might be the best choice. The way in which it is designed to keep fish fresh is a definite advantage. Thanks for the reference.

labradorguy

Reaction score
The arcticreel looks like a good product. I might prefer something with a little bit more of the appearance of the Hardy bags but depending on what else is or is not out the arcticreel might be the best choice. The way in which it is designed to keep fish fresh is a definite advantage. Thanks for the reference.
I started out looking for a Hardy bag. The new Asia ones are not the same bags that the old English ones were. The leather trim looks more like plastic or vinyl now too. I thought they looked cheap. They are not as functional either. The Denver bag has better features. You wet it and it really works. There is an apron to keep your leg dry if you want to do that. the pockets are lined and keep things pretty dry too. When I use mine, I don't carry anything that I would mind getting wet. I dip the whole thing now and then and keep rolling along. I wouldn't want to do that with the Hardy bag. I have a hook on tackle pocket too. It hangs away from the bag and is lined. You can dunk the bag but keep the tackle pocket above the water. Those bags are made to use. Far and away the best walnut bag I have ever had.

planettrout

Reaction score
I have been using Artic Creels since the early 70's. They can really take a beating and will hold a a ton of stuff like soft drinks, sandwiches, Chileno Pepper Bottles - I don't put Trout in them - anymore ...soak it first and it keeps everything inside cool...we trade it off while fishing so one person gets to play "mule"...

I get mine at Culver's Sporting Goods in Bishop, CA...

PT/TB:thumbup:

james82

Reaction score
My major concern with the arcticreel is how do you keep your gear in the gear pocket dry if the whole thing is wet? I emailed the company to ask about this. It would seem that there must be some way to do so since I don't see why they would make it with a useless pocket.

rockriver

Reaction score
Artic Creel from Cabela's, size large is my favorite. Made n the U.S.A. I have the regular size from the 70's also, and it still works great for whatever.

siege

Reaction score
To some members, asking about a creel on the forum is like going to an A.A. meeting to ask where to buy a beer :eek:
If you go to Google and search " canvas and leather creels " you can find some awesome examples. There are even some Hardys on eBay.
Enjoy your shopping, and your fish :cool:

Last edited:

rockriver

Reaction score
My major concern with the arcticreel is how do you keep your gear in the gear pocket dry if the whole thing is wet? I emailed the company to ask about this. It would seem that there must be some way to do so since I don't see why they would make it with a useless pocket.
Ziplock freezer bags work great.

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
Denver Tent Company. Arctic Creel. Made in the USA. Nice size, removable tackle pouches, D-rings.

Of course I only use mine to gather walnuts...... :D

If you go that route, please tell him Jason with the Boy Scouts referred you. :)
Hey I know that this thread is old but thanks for the lead on the creel. While the link to Denver Tent didn't give much info about the bag aside from saying that it weighed 2 lbs:eek: I plugged it into the Google machine and I found this video review of the Artic Creel. Very informative and I'll be grabbing one up. Thanks.

P.S. FYSA Mad River doesn't have them in stock. Denver Tent Co, apparently the makers, is making up a new batch and the next run should be available sometime in May, roughly 30 days from today. YouTube

Last edited: