Which Brand Tippet?

ts47

Reaction score
The time has come for me to replace my old tippet. What brand nylon tippet does everyone prefer? Same question for fluoro?

Thanks in advance!

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I think I've used about everything over the years....all the way back to Stren and Trilene conventional mono 30+ years ago....then Dia-Riki.....then I used and liked Umqua for quite awhile (20 years) and then switched to Trout Hunter in both fluoro and Nylon.....this year I'm giving the new SA Absolute Trout material a try out....verdict is still out.... but so far it looks to be a viable competitor.

trev

Reaction score
Rio Powerflex or Umpqua
Most of the high strength tippets have knot failures for me. Those two seem to be good at both.

ontheflymn

Reaction score
Rio has been my go to for years. I've started messing around with SA fluoro. Not bad either. SA has made a serious commitment to be competitive in the tippet and leader game, for sure. Their fly lines are already outstanding, IMO.

boisker

Reaction score
I only really use nylon...
like most I’ve tried loads, but at the moment settled back on stroft as my routine tippet and Rio suppleflex if I want to get more slack into the system

dennyk

Reaction score
Longtime Maxima user here in both materials, though I am liking the SA Absolute series of tippets. The SA is smaller in diameter and is just as strong as the Maxima IMHO.

Denny

Last edited:

mtboiler

Reaction score
Try the new SA Absolute Trout Stealth. I love that tippet. Plus it is a lot stronger than it use to be with better knot strength as well. 5x for their freshwater tippet was like 4.5lbs. Now it is 6lbs with the same diameter.

joe_strummer

Reaction score
Here's what I keep on my boat, almost all fc though there's a few nylon tapered leaders in the wallet, and both Rio and TroutHunter. Tippets are almost always TroutHunter. There's some 80# and 100# Rio s/w fluoro in my drawer of leader material but to save space it stays home unless I'm iso big pike or musky.
warmwater:boat stuff.jpg

Here's what's in my trout bag -- Rio and TroutHunter, mostly nylon leaders though there's a few Rio Fluroflex leaders in the wallet, and tippets are almost always TroutHunter, which I carry down to 8X. 6.5X is the only half-size TH I use, but I do use quite a lot of it. The Rio Powerflex three-packs are convenient and cheap, and 7.5-ft 5X and 6X cover most of my local stream fishing very adequately, so I go through a good number of those in a season. But when I'm burning some gas to fish and starting the day with a fresh leader, it's usually a TroutHunter.
trout stuff.JPG

There's Maxima, Powerflex and Rio's Butt Material in the tying kit. I'm curious about the new SA stuff and should try it just to know but I'm unlikely to switch.

duker

Reaction score
Maxima Chameleon for salmon and steelhead; Ultragreen for everything else. (in freshwater).

On my infrequent saltwater trips I use fluoro for tippet material (Seagur, Rio saltwater, no particular favourite yet).

Scott

Bent Undergrowth

Reaction score
A lot of Trout Hunter love here. I'm intrigued.

I've never used their tippet. All I know is that their CDC is awesome stuff to tie with.

Polymer chemistry is a much different animal though, and I'd surmise that bigger companies like Rio and SA would have an R&D advantage. I have no brand loyalty, though, and would welcome evidence to the contrary.

Looks like their fluoro is about the same price as Rio fluoroflex plus: about 50 cents a yard...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

trev

Reaction score
I like Maxima Chameleon and make all my leaders from it but don't use it below 4x as a rule, so don't think it as tippet, the softer Ultragreen is good bass tippet at 1X or 2X, but smaller than 5X the strength rating is pretty minimal imo, which is why I switch to Rio at that stage, listed at twice the strength.

I'd surmise that bigger companies like Rio
Maybe the Japanese maker is bigger than any, do they say who the maker is?

play fair

Reaction score
Let me throw a log on the fire, too.

I'm Trout Hunter myself. BUT, if they quit making it today, I'd go to ORVIS Super Strong.

I used that stuff for years and years 'back in the day' (granted technology has changed). Again, I'd still run Super Strong.

coug

Reaction score
Another trouthunter user here for tippet. Have not tried the new SA, but have used many of the others. I make my own leaders out of chameleon down to 3X, the rest with trouthunter. Steelhead I have switched to level leaders with Maxima chameleon with ultragreen as the tippet.

mikew1959

Reaction score
I fish mostly bass and warm water so need for light tippets. I buy 6’ tapered leaders that end in 0x
cut 12” off and then tie on 12-18” of Trilene Big Game in 12-17lb

Bent Undergrowth

Reaction score
I like Maxima Chameleon and make all my leaders from it but don't use it below 4x as a rule, so don't think it as tippet, the softer Ultragreen is good bass tippet at 1X or 2X, but smaller than 5X the strength rating is pretty minimal imo, which is why I switch to Rio at that stage, listed at twice the strength.

Maybe the Japanese maker is bigger than any, do they say who the maker is?
Japanese indeed. I didn't catch that. Hard to speculate, but you're likely right. Kureha, i.e. Seaguar are Japanese... I got curious and looked into it, but it looks like they're keeping their golden goose a secret.

I'm due for a tippet restock. Going to give them a try.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk