Which Brand Tippet?

trev

Reaction score
I'm due for a tippet restock. Going to give them a try.
Be real interesting to compare TH with Umpqua brand Japanese import stuff that I like, when most monofilament is produced in Japan or Germany, it always makes me wonder if many brands don't come off of the same line. I used to live in a city where every brand of automobile antifreeze came out of the same spigot and I could buy the stuff with mixed dye colors very cheap off their dock.

Orvis is a re-seller too, so no idea what that is/was/will be next batch- I know I had some a few years ago that had almost no knot strength, won't buy it again ever because of that experience.

Last edited:

osseous

Reaction score
Used Trout Hunter since it was released. Hate their packaging- So this year I'm trying Absolute from Sci Anglers. So far, it has impressed me. Time will tell...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

original cormorant

Reaction score
As in most things it all depends ... you do need to take account of stiffness. I'm mainly flouro with salt water totally Seaguar Ace Hard (with one exception) and fresh water a combination of Grand Max and the cheapest I can get.

My one exception in salt water is a spool of Orvis or Grand Max for wading . This is selected purely on the basis that the spool is small enough to fit in the small waterproof fly box that contains the consumables I need for flats wading (flies, tippet and wire). I too had some bad Orvis tippet once, but the spool I carry is good.

ts47

Reaction score
Interesting... Three names keep popping up: Trouthunter, Rio and SA.

losthwy, on the tippet shootout, I believe it predates the current generation of tippet being manufactured. I remember when it first came out 8 years ago. If I'm not mistaken, about 7 years ago is when the technology put into tippet materials really began to change.

Does anyone have any negative comments on the current generation tippets from Trouthunter, Rio or SA? I notice that SA's tippet is about 33% less expensive. I don't know if that reflects SA's superior manufacturing capabilities or their choice to use less expensive materials.

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
Trouthunters for fluorocarbon, Stroft and Rio Powerflex for nylon seem to be the best tippet material. The tippets now are so much better than the Nylorfi we had in the early 1980's that I think any of the above 3 will do for my needs. 5X Nylorfi was 2.5 lbs back then. Now 7X Rio breaks at 2.4 lbs.

A few ounces of extra strength here, a few ten thousandths of extra diameter there, really won't matter I think on the stream.

Look at the 6X breaking strengths in the chart below. They are in the area of 3.5 lbs give or take a few ounces.

ts47

Reaction score
I'm posting this again just so it doesn't get lost behind Silver's post.

Interesting... Three names keep popping up: Trouthunter, Rio and SA.

Silver and losthwy, on the tippet shootout, I believe it predates the current generation of tippet being manufactured. I remember when it first came out 8 years ago. If I'm not mistaken, about 7 years ago is when the technology put into tippet materials really began to change.

Does anyone have any negative comments on the current generation tippets from Trouthunter, Rio or SA? I notice that SA's tippet is about 30% less expensive. I don't know if that reflects SA's superior manufacturing capabilities or their choice to use less expensive materials.

EDIT: I made the above comment about the cost of SA tippet before realizing that in nylon at least, Trouthunter has more tippet on the spool and actually costs less than SA. The Rio Powerflex Plus also has more on each spool and costs about the same.

Last edited:

planettrout

Reaction score
I have been using Puglisi "Powerful" and Stroft for nylon for a very long time. More recently, I have also been using Trouthunter nylon which now comes with a green label on the spool:

For fluorocarbon, I have been using Seaguar Grand Max and Trouthunter:

Puglisi "Powerful" may be ordered off the Puglisi site. Below is a spool from 1998...yes, it's that good...

This stuff, Cortland Top Secret Ultra Premium Fluorocarbon Tippet, has been hyped as the "best" (strongest) fluorocarbon on the market. Nope, it does not mic. true:

Caveat emptor...

PT/TB

mtboiler

Reaction score
I have to agree with TS47...The comparison Silver is showing is from years ago. And unfortunately, it looks like rio has not done anything since to update or modify their tippet. I use to fish Rio exclusively, tippet, leaders and fly lines. The did nothing for almost 6 years because they were the best in the game. Than everyone caught up and in my mind several passed them by. Absolute Trout Stealth from SA was a game changer for me this last winter. I didn't even use Fluoro! But caught a lot of big fish.

ts47

Reaction score
I have to agree with TS47...The comparison Silver is showing is from years ago. And unfortunately, it looks like rio has not done anything since to update or modify their tippet. I use to fish Rio exclusively, tippet, leaders and fly lines. The did nothing for almost 6 years because they were the best in the game. Than everyone caught up and in my mind several passed them by. Absolute Trout Stealth from SA was a game changer for me this last winter. I didn't even use Fluoro! But caught a lot of big fish.
Why do you say SA Absolute Trout Stealth was a game changer? I know it has an olive tint to it rather than being clear. Were you able to tell that much of a difference/have that much of an impact on your fishing?

ts47

Reaction score
I have been using Puglisi "Powerful" and Stroft for nylon for a very long time. More recently, I have also been using Trouthunter nylon which now comes with a green label on the spool:

For fluorocarbon, I have been using Seaguar Grand Max and Trouthunter:

Puglisi "Powerful" may be ordered off the Puglisi site. Below is a spool from 1998...yes, it's that good...

This stuff, Cortland Top Secret Ultra Premium Fluorocarbon Tippet, has been hyped as the "best" (strongest) fluorocarbon on the market. Nope, it does not mic. true:

Caveat emptor...

PT/TB
I have to assume that anyone who responds to a tread question with a photo of a mic knows a thing or two. ;)

I'm familiar with the other two tippets and have not been a fan of Cortland 'tippet'. Why did you start using Trouthunter nylon?

mtboiler

Reaction score
Why do you say SA Absolute Trout Stealth was a game changer? I know it has an olive tint to it rather than being clear. Were you able to tell that much of a difference/have that much of an impact on your fishing?
I typically nymph fish...probably 90% of the time. I ran out of fluoro and just used Absolute trout stealth. I probably caught more fish than with fluoro. Today, I went straight dries with ATS and caught nothing but big fish. The thinness is significant to the weight ratio. 6x is equal to most others 5x. So if you can get equal strength from 6x tippet compared to 5x, why not use it? Plus, the olive tint is nearly invisible on the surface or below the surface.

ts47

Reaction score
I typically nymph fish...probably 90% of the time. I ran out of fluoro and just used Absolute trout stealth. I probably caught more fish than with fluoro. Today, I went straight dries with ATS and caught nothing but big fish. The thinness is significant to the weight ratio. 6x is equal to most others 5x. So if you can get equal strength from 6x tippet compared to 5x, why not use it? Plus, the olive tint is nearly invisible on the surface or below the surface.
Thanks for the added info. I didn't know anything about the new SA tippets until seeing the posts here on this thread. I then went to SA's website and read about the color difference. That may be worth giving a try.

I commented above that SA was 30% cheaper and just edited it to correct. It actually isn't. There's just less on the spool.

mtboiler

Reaction score
I commented above that SA was 30% cheaper and just edited it to correct. It actually isn't. There's just less on the spool.
Absolute Trout Tippet is $6.95 per spool. So, not cheaper. But I truely believe I will catch more fish when I use it. So, to me, it is worth it.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I have to give it a try...just read this short article claiming we bought into a false narrative about what makes fish leader shy.. Maybe, just maybe, we dont need to spend twice as much on fluorocarbon....

mtboiler

Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe, we dont need to spend twice as much on fluorocarbon....
I won't say you never need fluoro but I have found I catch just about as many fish with fluoro as without but using Absolute Trout Tippet. If I can spend $6 for tippet instead of $15 I am in!! But, in my opinion, while I am not a huge believer in fluoro, I only use it for my second nymph, I would rather catch fish than not. So, I still use fluoro for my second fly, but have never bought a fluoro leader ever.

osseous

Reaction score

Caveat emptor...

PT/TB
I have that same pic of the Cortland product- with the same results. A full size larger than marked on both spools. Yeah- sure is strong...when you cheat. I haven't put the SA Absolute on the mic......yet

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ts47

Reaction score
I have to give it a try...just read this short article claiming we bought into a false narrative about what makes fish leader shy.. Maybe, just maybe, we dont need to spend twice as much on fluorocarbon....
I take issue with some of that article. I get everything mentioned about mono versus fluoro. He may be correct and makes some interesting points. i wonder how the light green tint of SA’s new stealth tippet would play into the RI comparison he uses. It makes sense to me that the tint could be a closer match to the color of the water and reduce reflections caused by the sun with clear material.. Maxima makes different color tippet and leader material for this very reason - matching the color of the water. This leads me to believe that SA ‘might‘ be on to something. I Just can’t claim this to be true without more information.

His comments about wire leaders are what I have a problem with. How can he make his assertions without knowing how many of those salt water fish would take the bait if the tippet were clear, And whether that number was higher, lower or the same. Wire leaders are used in salt water to prevent fish from biting the line in two. If there was a clear tippet that would stand up to the pressure of teeth, I would ‘assume’ catch rates may go up. The comparison doesn’t seem appropriate in a mono versus fluoro conversation IMO. I’m no expert though.

trev

Reaction score

From the 'net; "Light passes into it and travels down it so a fluoro off the bottom is actually more visible that a nylon. "

I did a lot of experimenting myself back in the early '70s before I started fly fishing, I fished live night-crawlers on various "tippets" ranging from about 8X (3/4#) up to 10# yellow Stren, two or three side by side to trout over sand in very clear still water and after many days of testing I'm convinced that no tippet is too small or too clear or too anything for trout to see, on the other hand I am convinced that they can ignore a para cord if they want the bait. In addition to them seeing the material itself, it almost always has a moving shadow.
I have tried fluorocarbon of two different makes and went back to nylon. I'll concentrate on my presentation.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
I live near the ocean and only use Fluorocarbon in the salt,principally due to it's robustness.Ive found that Nylon has a tendency to kink in my experience.I've used most of the usual suspects,but enduring favourites are Rio Fluoroflex Plus,Seaguar Grand Max and Trouthunter.Others worth honourable mention are Black Magic (from NZ but made in Japan) Nitlon and FC Rock.I like the look of S.A.'s Absolute Fluorocarbon but yet to try it,and I'm surprised that Hatch fluorocarbon didn't get a vote here....