Which Fly?

dipaoro

Reaction score
I will admit that I gave up golfing for Fly Fishing. I will also let you know my Able Nipper arrived today. So, I am sure this nipper will catch me tons of fish and no need to change anything. Seriously, I am going to get ready for Sat morning fishing. Too bad its raining now, but I do need to practice in the yard soon.

jzim

Reaction score
Golf and Fly Fishing. Check this out.

old timer

Reaction score
Golf and fly fishing. In both, you're shooting something through the air.

Where it lands is the tricky part.

osseous

Reaction score
What is your opinion of running two dry flies?
Works well. I also carry some fluorescent foam sheet materials- and will use a small square of this above a small fly like a midge. I find it has less action on the smaller fly during really tricky situations- yet you can still see it on the water.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
My method of "practicing" at my stage is to practice on the stream. what I mean is that when I am unable to get a fly into a difficult lie or to get a good drift because I did not place the slack where it should have been, I repeatedly try to make the cast or mend in the same place I messed up. The reason is that the stream conditions, amount of water flow are, obstructions, etc are identical. And because I can see the drift of the fly under the identical conditions; the feedback is immediate. I don't need to guess if I placed the right amount of slack in the right place. The drift of the fly tells me how I did.

So for intermediate and above fly fishers, I suggest taking a few minutes off from your fishing after you have messed up a cast. Practice right there. The rod, the reel, the line, leader and fly are identical and there is no better moment to practice that cast.

labradorguy

Reaction score
It has its uses, but if you’re in complex currents it will often times hurt you more than help you. You have to fish the flies close enough together so that they are drifting in the same seam (most of the time). I’d start with a single highly visible fly so you can learn how it behaves in the current, then go from there.

Last edited:

old timer

Reaction score
I'd only use two dries in slower water, so I can see what's happening. Small flies aren't needed in fast water around here. Trout need to make fast decisions in fast water and we can get away with bigger flies. I can see those fine.

I'm only speaking for my waters and myself. Don't get all spunky on me if you disagree.

labradorguy

Reaction score
😂😂.
Way too much “spunkiness” on the FFF.... They call it a forum for a reason.
I'd only use two dries in slower water, so I can see what's happening. Small flies aren't needed in fast water around here. Trout need to make fast decisions in fast water and we can get away with bigger flies. I can see those fine.

I'm only speaking for my waters and myself. Don't get all spunky on me if you disagree.

dipaoro

Reaction score
So I need 15 feet of leader and tippet? I have more like 12 feet now. Using the 5X at the end...

mike_r

Reaction score
I was fishing from 8am to 3pm. Most action risers around 9 to 11am. Going back from 8am to 11am tomorrow.
On Pa freestoners 9-11 bite this time of year is the sz14-16 BWO hatch; especially on overcast days. On slicker runs, flatter water use a parchute pattern. Sometimes a para-Adams works better than the ubiquitous olive dubbed, dun hackled version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

labradorguy

Reaction score
Pick up some attractor patterns to have on hand. The local fly shop can hook you up. BWO’s can be hard to come by on bright sunny mornings.
And remember, don’t stress about taking everything down to the gnat’s ass. You don’t have to be that guy out in the middle of the creek with his wife’s pantyhose who’s trying to pull bugs out of the water and you don’t have to stick antifreeze testers into a trout’s stomach to see what he’s eating. Sometimes you can have a 100% perfect match and an excellent drift and still not get a fish to rise. You would be surprised how often you are better off just dropping a size 12 Purple Adams right into the middle of that size 20 hatch. It’s a game and it changes every day. Don’t be the guy who HAS to catch a ton of fish. It’s not about the body count. You’re probably going to throw the fish back in anyway..... The journey is it’s own reward. Enjoy it.

old timer

Reaction score
Knowing exactly what the fish is eating is never a bad thing to know. I find it better than looking under rocks.

Of course, you have to catch a fish to look at what's it's eating. That's where an attractor might help.

AzTrouter

Reaction score
Don’t underestimate the power of the ant 😎 Many many times I’ve been fishing a hatch with hundreds of bugs on the water, with fish stacked and churning and no’beuno haha

Toss a big winged ant in the mix and fish on.

trev

Reaction score
If its not the Hackle Fly, it's quite often the Palmer Fly any time fish are looking up. The Brits knew this hundreds of years ago.