which hand?

joelp

Reaction score
weird post, but it's still winter so what the hey...

in discussing knots yesterday with a buddy i fish with all the time, i mentioned that most of the diagrams i see have the fly on the left. i told him i thought it was odd since everyone holds the fly in their right hand while tying it on. he informed me that he holds the fly with his left hand when tying on. we are both right handed.

1. in hundreds of hours of fishing together and rigging up at the same time countless times, i never noticed this.
2. it struck me as extremely odd that anyone would hold the fly in their left hand.

off to the interwebs to get a consensus i go. so, which hand?

thanks

jp

VaFisherman

Reaction score
I typically hold the fly in the right hand, because it is easier for me to wrap with the left hand and pinch/hold the knot with the right. The exception to that is for a Double Davy Knot which for some reason I cannot manipulate the tippet for that knot with my left hand, it is the only knot I seem to have trouble with.

bumble54

Reaction score
I've never actually thought about it, but having just done a test run, I tie with both hands, it makes no difference to me.

Chris_in_Louisiana

Reaction score
Just tried. Without thinking about it, I grabbed the fly with my left hand and began tying the knot with my right.

Switching hands, I was able to tie the knot. That said, it wasn't quite as natural or comfortable as holding the fly in my left.

LePetomane

Reaction score
I'm right hand dominant. When tying an improved clinch knot I hold the fly in my right hand. With a Davy knot I hold the fly in my left hand. That is the way I learned. I spent 32 years as an anesthesiologist performing spinals and epidurals with my left hand because the person who taught me was left handed. It's all how you learn it.

RichTheTall

Reaction score
Left. I'm right handed. Also wind in with my left hand ...unless I'm using a RHW reel and casting left-handed 😉

old timer

Reaction score
I'm right handed so I tie with my right hand. Holding the fly is no different than a vice. It takes no dexterity to hold the fly.

LOC

Reaction score
Typically I fish the fly with a Non slip mono loop knot. I hold the fly in my right hand between my thumb and middle finger but my right hand index finger does half of the twists and my left does the other half. My left hand finishes the knot.
I’m right handed.

jzim

Reaction score
Left hand. I have tremors in both hands. Try tying a knot on a fly when you have someone bump your hands as you're tying a knot. That's what I go through.