which hand?

bevanwj

Reaction score
Right handed. Hold fly with left hand and wind reel with left hand. What is the point of having two hands if you are not using both? ;)

TwoThumbsUp

Reaction score
I had to pick a fly up and act like I was tying it on; I'd never really thought about it. I hold the fly in my left hand and tie with my right. I'll have to switch hands and try it the other way sometime. I'm right handed.

Reaction score
Right handed, left eyed. Was ambidexurous (sp?), teachers forced me to use right. Most knots I hold the fly or forceps in the left and manipulate the line with my right, but not always.

trev

Reaction score
Disregarding left or right, accepting that tying a knot takes more dexterity than merely holding a hook still, I am astonished that anyone would not use their most dexterous hand for the tippet and their least dexterous hand for the holding still part.

philly

Reaction score
Not sure it's been a while since I was fishing. I have the feeling I use either hand. I'll have to tie a few flies on and see which way it goes. As my friend says, when she's doing something which she might not normally do, except we're in the middle of a pandemic. "It's something to do."

fatbillybob

Reaction score
weird post, but it's still winter so what the hey...

in discussing knots yesterday with a buddy i fish with all the time, i mentioned that most of the diagrams i see have the fly on the left. i told him i thought it was odd since everyone holds the fly in their right hand while tying it on. he informed me that he holds the fly with his left hand when tying on. we are both right handed.

1. in hundreds of hours of fishing together and rigging up at the same time countless times, i never noticed this.
2. it struck me as extremely odd that anyone would hold the fly in their left hand.

off to the interwebs to get a consensus i go. so, which hand?

thanks

jp
Being ambiwipedextrous I hold the tie in either hand and cast with either hand too.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm part of the 'I have never even thought of this' group. I have not done a test tie so even as I type this reply I have no idea how I do what I do. I am a person who favors my right hand however my work through the years dictated that I be somewhat ambidextrous but still I favor the right for must things. Writing would be a good example, I write with my right hand. In fishing I tend to use both hands and both arms.

How I have been tying knots and holding hooks or flies for at least 58 years I honestly can't tell you and that's probably as it should be. We should just do some things without thinking.

jpakstis

Reaction score
I'm right hand dominant. When tying an improved clinch knot I hold the fly in my right hand. With a Davy knot I hold the fly in my left hand. That is the way I learned. I spent 32 years as an anesthesiologist performing spinals and epidurals with my left hand because the person who taught me was left handed. It's all how you learn it.
My dad (right-handed) for some reason played hockey lefty so that meant that I played hockey lefty (also right handed). It was thoroughly uncomfortable but I guess it was cheaper than buying new sticks! Also when it came time for organized hockey I always had a spot as a left winger.

To answer the question, I still haven’t gotten it down which hand I use to tie on the fly. I guess I go with whatever setup is “most available” at the time, like if I’m picking the fly out of the box with my right hand, I’ll just keep it there rather than switch and run the risk of dropping it (I routinely fish with size 20-30 flies so it’s a legit risk). I think I’ve gotten equally “adequate” tying with either hand, which is to say I’m equally as likely to lose the fly tying it on with either hand!

old timer

Reaction score
I'm part of the 'I have never even thought of this' group. I have not done a test tie so even as I type this reply I have no idea how I do what I do. I am a person who favors my right hand however my work through the years dictated that I be somewhat ambidextrous but still I favor the right for must things. Writing would be a good example, I write with my right hand. In fishing I tend to use both hands and both arms.

How I have been tying knots and holding hooks or flies for at least 58 years I honestly can't tell you and that's probably as it should be. We should just do some things without thinking.
You do something for 58 years and you can't remember how you do it?

I'm sure you tie your flies. Do you use your right hand to tie? Is the vice facing left or right when you face it?

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Right handed writer and caster - play sports like hockey, baseball (batting only) and lacrosse left handed.

Hold fly in left - wrap/tie with right hand (and mouth :giggle:)

Recently switched from clinch to Double Davy for my main tippet to fly knot and I'm still getting the "muscle memory" down. I like how the DD is smaller and just as strong especially on light tippets.

Edit: For tying flies on the vice I have the vice pointed to the right and wrap away from me over the hook with the bobbin held in my right hand. Materials get held and pinch wraps performed with left.

original cormorant

Reaction score
OK, extend this to fly tying not which hand but do you tie "under towards you" or "over towards you" ? "Obviously ribbing is the other way.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
My dad (right-handed) for some reason played hockey lefty so that meant that I played hockey lefty (also right handed). It was thoroughly uncomfortable but I guess it was cheaper than buying new sticks! Also when it came time for organized hockey I always had a spot as a left winger.
As a right handed writer I prefer to play hockey left handed. My more dexterous hand (well wrist technically) is controlling the butt of the stick - if I'm holding the stick one handed (say for a poke check) my right hand is still on the stick. Also turning the stick for curl and drag or other finesse moves stems from the high hand - in my case my more dexterous right hand being a left handed player.

I picked up golf after playing hockey so I'm left handed there too. Except, I putt right handed with the "claw" putting technique. Manly this was a forced habit because more companies had right handed putters when I first started playing - but in effect my right hand is still controlling the trajectory due to the grip. .

satyr

Reaction score
Left hand holds the fly, right hand puts wraps in. I don't think I have the dexterity in my left to do the wrapping. I also tied flies with my right hand.