Which New Wading Boot?

dillon

Reaction score
I know a couple guides that have the new boots and they love them. The new bars and their configuration are a bit different than the foot tractors. I wouldn't even call them bars as one doesn't fully span the sole. I have two pairs of foot tractors. One has worn out bars and the other I replaced with Rock treads, which work very well. However, I may have voided the warranty by installing them. I will probably buy the new Patagonia/Danner boots when the time comes. BTW, couple weeks ago I lost my balance on some rip rap going down a steep Deschutes bank. I fell sideways and hit my thigh on a big piece of rip rap. Oh man did it hurt and still haven't fully recovered. I'm not sure if one of the aluminum threads stuck and caused me to lose balance, but I'm going to be very careful in the future...

MCHammer

Reaction score
Ouch!

The bars on my 4 year old foot tractors are worn out; if Deschutes Angler had had the replacement bars in stock, I probably would have bought them before I noticed the uppers were split. From the anecdotes I've read in that other thread, maybe I should have brought the boots into the shop with me. I bought the boots from Deschutes Angler.

MCHammer

Reaction score
I was in the fly shop today for some hooks, and fondled the new Foot Tractors. I didn't try them on (going to wait and see what Patagonia does on the warranty) but my first impression was that they don't seem to have a lot of ankle support.

MCHammer

Reaction score
Patagonia has a lifetime warranty. Send them in for repair or replacement.
Well, it looks as if I will probably be wading in a new pair of Foot Tractors this winter or spring. I sent my old ones in, and Patagonia issued me a full credit for the cost of my old Foot Tractors, to be used toward a new pair. I will still end up paying about the same amount as for a new pair of Simms or Orvis boots, and I plan to try on all three before deciding. In the past, the Patagonia boots have fit my foot the best.

Thanks, Dillon, for the suggestion!

MCHammer

Reaction score
I tried on the Foot Tractors and the Simms boots today, and I really didn't feel the Foot Tractors had the ankle support the old Foot Tractors, or the newer Simms boots, have. They seemed decidedly unstable from side to side in the ankle area. I decided to pass on the Foot Tractors and the local fly shop is ordering me a new pair of Simms G4s. I should have them in a week or so, probably just in time for our winter weather to arrive.

FlyOn

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I came across these waders online and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? They seem pretty new so I'm not sure how they compare to regular hipwaders. Found them for reference. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I came across these waders online and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? They seem pretty new so I'm not sure how they compare to regular hipwaders. Found them for reference. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
I don’t believe those are hip boots. Looks to me as if they come up to somewhere below the knee. Probably not for wading very deep at all.

Don

flytie09

Reaction score
9 years and thread still going strong. Bar none.... Simms are my favorite. They’re durable, light, and comfortable. I liked them so much I bought two pairs of the Headwaters and a new pair of the G4s. I go with simple rubber sole and pair them with a set of Korker Rocktrax carbide studded strap on cleats.

The regular Korker boots I’m out on. After 15 years now..... they still haven’t figured out the glue thing. Never again.

I have a pair of the 1st gen Patagonia Rockgrip boots and they were stiffer than stiff. I couldn’t walk for a week after 2 days of fishing in them. The only caveat to this is I had shorts on and cotton socks. So there’s an asterisk. I filed a complaint with Patagonia and they wanted to swap them out with newer model to include the price difference and shipping. Not a sweet deal. So they sit in the closet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Yep, after posting this I bought the G3 boot and now have the latest model whatever is. I'd say they are more comfortable than my Merrill shoes I wear all the time.

brownbass

Reaction score
I switched from a new pair of Korkers to Simms G3's. I liked the Korkers BOA system but they are too narrow for my fat feet. I have a lightly used pair of Korker Darkhorse Sz 12 for sale if anyone is interested.

Bill