Which reel for a Sage Pulse Switch 8wt?

petyot

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a Pulse 11'4 in 8wt and I am looking for the right reel to balance it. I didn't had the chance to try it since we are not allowed to leave town due to COVID.

I already have a Pflueger Patriarch (at 8.5 oz.), an Orvis Access V (at 5.7 oz.) and an Echo Ion 8/10 (at 8.3 oz.)

I want to upgrade the reel and I was looking at the Loop Classic 7-9.

Anyone had a chance to try it with a 11'4 Switch rod?
At 11.92 oz, would it be too heavy?

Thanks!

Pierre

huronfly

Reaction score
I prefer heavier reels for spey fishing, it helps keeps the tip of the rod out of the water and is less tiresome on the wrist after a long day. I think it also help to reinforce the use of the bottom hand which is where most of the power comes from. I frequently use a battenkill V click with my 11' 7 weight which weighs 9.5 oz empty, but I probably wouldnt go much heavier. It's a matter of personal preference... but 12oz is creeping up there.

flytie09

Reaction score
I have an 8-11 Loop Classic that I pair with my 13' 8 WT double handers. If I try to use it with my smaller 11' 8 WT two handers....it is on the heavy side. But I personally don't mind extra weight in a reel. It might bother me if I was using it for a week straight....but that's a rare event for me at this point.

The 7-9 and 8-11 are only 7 grams (~ .25 oz) different.....so I've got a good idea what it's going to feel like.

It is a heavy reel no doubt.....but I can tell you it's a tank and one of my favorite modern reels for switch and spey rods. As far as the drag.........flawless that can stop a horse mid-gallop. I never have felt under-gunned using it.

There is one thing about it that I don't like and that's the metal handle. When it's cold outside.....it's not fun cranking on all day. Aside from that it's great.

dpt

Reaction score
I have a Lamson Guru 4 with spare spool NIB. PM me if interested.

LOC

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a Pulse 11'4 in 8wt and I am looking for the right reel to balance it. I didn't had the chance to try it since we are not allowed to leave town due to COVID.

I already have a Pflueger Patriarch (at 8.5 oz.), an Orvis Access V (at 5.7 oz.) and an Echo Ion 8/10 (at 8.3 oz.)

I want to upgrade the reel and I was looking at the Loop Classic 7-9.

Anyone had a chance to try it with a 11'4 Switch rod?
At 11.92 oz, would it be too heavy?

Thanks!

Pierre
If you are considering Loop then for sure take a look at Danielsson. Danielsson was the designer for Loop and went solo.

They make quality reels but there are lots of quality reels that do the job you are asking for. The reason I tout these reels is because you can order factory direct and the prices reflect that there is no middle man markup. It takes about 10 days to ship from Sweden but other then that there are no real draw backs to these reels.

https://danielsson-flyreels.se/en/
Be sure to check out the videos on their website showing the construction of their reels.

Here's a Daniellson next to a Loop but at probably half the price...

Even you decide they are not for you here's a fun page to look at #danielssonflyreels hashtag on Instagram • Photos and Videos

Last edited:

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
The Sage full cage spey 7/8/9 is nice I have the 6/7/8 on my 7110 X its just slightly heavy to keep the tip up. I haven't tried it on my 13` Pulse but I`m sure its probably perfect for that rod. Sage also recommend the Spectrum LT for a lighter feel but a little heavy is good for me. My speyco is too heavy for the switch but very useable, it just screws up my casting as I`m unconsciously moving my hand to find the balance point.

Hardy is too heavy for me, one of the down sides of new lightweight rods, the old reels feel too heavy to me.

Hope you find something, good luck!

petyot

Reaction score
If you are considering Loop then for sure take a look at Danielsson. Danielsson was the designer for Loop and went solo.
[/url]
I will have a look at the Danielsson's products. Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for your time and answers to my questions!

petyot

Reaction score
Ok, I will go with a Danielsson Control 7twelve.

Seems to be very innovative and the price is half the Loop Classic or the Cascapedia

The last question is : extra spool or no extra spool?

Do you generally buy an extra spool with you reel?

LOC

Reaction score
The Danielsson 7twelve was ordered a few minutes ago. With an extra spool. 😉
Oh Damn, congrats that's a very nice reel!
I've been eye balling one for myself.
I use a Billy Pate Tarpon reel for bluewater specifically tuna and even though I love my Pate due to personal nostalgia and it being bomb proof it's not without it's anti reverse quirks. If I could combine the inovation of a control reel in the shell of my Pate I would be in reel heaven!

petyot

Reaction score
I use a Billy Pate Tarpon reel for bluewater specifically tuna and even though I love my Pate due to personal nostalgia and it being bomb proof it's not without it's anti reverse quirks. If I could combine the inovation of a control reel in the shell of my Pate I would be in reel heaven!
The Billy Pate serie of reels is beautiful! I didn't know that reel and I googled it. Very nice!