Why Bamboo?

LePetomane

Reaction score
For those of you who fish bamboo, why do you fish it?

I'll go first. I like the feel of a finely crafted instrument, be it a firearm or a fly rod. I like the performance of the ones I own. My favorite is a fast action (yes, there is fast cane) with a sensitive tip. There is no better rod for me to gently present a dry fly than a bamboo. I like the sensitivity of them, too. Setting a hook is easier and for me there is less chance of too vigorous of a set.

What about you?

tcorfey

Reaction score
Why do I fish bamboo, well I have for most of my life so it has been something I have enjoyed for a long time, it brings back memories and friendships etc.. Also they are great tools for fishing but more like a special tool not a cookie cutter tool, they also look great and occasionally start interesting conversations when the fishing is over.

dennyk

Reaction score
I enjoy fishing bamboo as a change of pace from my modern Scott rods. I love the feel and appreciate the effort that goes into building them. As of yesterday I now own 3 bamboo rods. One is a Redwing Montague that belongs to my mom, that rod is probably 80+ years old and was givin to my mom from my father. That rod is retired. The two other bamboo rods were made from scratch my my lifelong friend and fishin' buddy Chuck. One is a 7'8" 6 weight the other he gave to me yesterday, a 6'9"' 7 weight, which I'm going to fish tomorrow. As I mentioned in a previous post I'm going to finish out my top water bass season with both these rods. Landing a 3+ pound LM Bass on a bamboo rod is just a rush! The fish pictured is in the 5# class and is the biggest fish I've landed on bamboo to date.

Dennys biggest Bamboo bass.JPG

Denny

Last edited:

bonefish41

Reaction score
I have one but I don't now. As I have posted before it's a Wes Jordan 8' stated 7wt and the last time it was seriously "out of the closet" was in 1985-86 North Bight Andros; late great Ivan Neymour; dozen one day; second gen Fin Nor so small now. I don't give it a fair chance... what little muscle memory I have it's TCX or Method and that causes impatience when I pick up cane. My most recent trip to Baldwin and PM, Baldwin River and Little Manistee wading/stumbling in the bigger parts of those rivers convinced me it's no place for this old man. Perhaps I can revisit the upper parts of those rivers with the cane as I did in the 70s before my addiction to salt and really fast rods and uber speced lines...so my question(s) for this forum:
1/ There have been posts about modern lines being too heavy for bamboo thus drop down...anybody familiar with an Orvis two piece 8' stated at 7wt either a Wes Jordon or Battenkill earlier built 1965-1970(mine late 1966) what line wt and brand and taper do you use for dry flies only. The last line I used for a trout try was a 7wt WF SA speced 7wt not plus.
2/ Best for roll casting
3/ Best for short casts 10-15 feet of fly line
BambooIvan.jpg

LOC

Reaction score
I fished bamboo for quite a while and enjoyed it for the challenge it created and the nuances you learned adjusting your stroke to fish it.

I think no matter what material the rod is made of you need to embrace it and then just try not to step on your dance partners toes.

ibookje

Reaction score
History, craftsmanship, (slower) pace and enjoyment of being part of what makes fly fishing so special

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Just like any other instrument, there's good ones an ones that aren't so much, and the good ones seem to last forever.
Bamboos' catch fish just like the newer more advanced rods do and from 6 to 8 foot they are hard to beat.
They are beautiful to look at and they make me look rather cool I think.
But bamboo can become a rather spendy habit if your not careful, still having one really good 71/2' 4 or 5 weight would be a nice addition to one's arsenal.

LePetomane

Reaction score
Bamboos' catch fish just like the newer more advanced rods do and from 6 to 8 foot they are hard to beat.
I don't subscribe to the "small water, small rod" or "big water, big rod" myth. 8' - 8'3" for me is the perfect length. I fish small and medium sized streams. I have tried a 7'6" on them and the rod just doesn't give me the mending capabilities that a longer rod does. On larger rivers when fishing with weight I'll fish graphite.

Last edited:

tcorfey

Reaction score
“I fish bamboo to capture a life, with a substance that once had life, to fulfill my life. I feel that bamboo retains not only its own unique spirit but carries the spirit of all that have moved it along on its journey to me, and since I will someday cease to exist as I now am reassured that my spirit will someday stand along those that live in each of my bamboo rods.” Quote from Sante (Banjo) Giuliani

Interesting take on this subject.

dennyk

Reaction score
“I fish bamboo to capture a life, with a substance that once had life, to fulfill my life. I feel that bamboo retains not only its own unique spirit but carries the spirit of all that have moved it along on its journey to me, and since I will someday cease to exist as I now am reassured that my spirit will someday stand along those that live in each of my bamboo rods.” Quote from Sante (Banjo) Giuliani

Please forgive the poor picture quality. These bamboo rods feel alive especially when something is on the end of the line. Chuck and I both used to coax self made longbows out of a stave of nicely aged Osage Orange back in our hunting days and I can appreciate what Tim is saying.

Both these rods were gifted to me and built by my best buddy Chuck. He has been building bamboo fly rod for the last 20+ years. Both are based on the hyper parabolic taper with Chuck's added modifications. Both cast like a dream.

This rod is a 6'9" 7 weight, it likes a SA Amplitude smooth WF7. This rod casts where I'm looking.

Chuck1.JPG

This is a 7'8" 6 weight, the line is an SA amplitude smooth, in a 6 weight WF.

Chuck2.JPG

Both wonderful rods. The reels pictured, the SA System (Hardy Marquis) and the Perfect I bought off members of this forum and did not disappoint. Thanks again Paul & Ard!

Denny

Last edited:

goofnoff1

Reaction score
Back in the day Jason Lucas was the freshwater fishing editor for Sports Afield magaizine. He was a very opininated guy. He preferred bait casters over spinning reels at a time when bait casters all but disappeared. He preferred bass over trout because he thought catching stockies all day was a joke. He said bamboo couldn't handle big poppers and used glass. Then Orvis sent him a couple of big bamboos. After which Lucas wrote he'd been wrong about bamboo and the right rod could easily handle big poppers.

To me fishing is about having fun. An eight year old catching sunnies on the end of his grandpa's dock is the best fisherman there is because no one is having more fun. If fishing bamboo gives you joy there is no other need to justify the passion. Arnold Gingrich was editor of Esquire in its golden years as a premier literary magazine. His great love was fishing midges with a little bamboo fly rod. He wrote the Joys of Trout. Bamboo is a joy.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score

Hard to top that.
Feel. Bamboo definitely has a life of it's own. And is indeed influenced by the journey to finished product.
Support of a craftsman more often than not working alone in a small shop hand crafting functional art.
Bamboo fits my style and philosophy of the art.
To borrow a phrase from days past " cause I dig it man".