why I am glad I dont have to fish the catskills anymore

okaloosa

Reaction score
This brings me back to my early days of fly fishing in the Catskills 50 years ago and experiencing a big hatch
only to catch dinks. maybe I was too inexperienced back then but I have to laugh at this 3 1/2 minute
video of a West Branch Sulfur hatch but not one clip of a fish being caught.
You northeasterners can flame me all you want but I thank my lucky stars I live in the West.....
I invite guys who fish the west branch to post photos here of their best west branch catch. That river certainly humbled me back in the day.

Last edited:

eastfly66

Reaction score
Didn't anyone tell you ? There's no trout in the West Branch.....everyone should head west instead. Colorado would be a good choice.

okaloosa

Reaction score
Didn't anyone tell you ? There's no trout in the West Branch.....everyone should head west instead. Colorado would be a good choice.
Anyone willing to move to Colorado, Wyoming, or Montana simply because of the fishing wont upset my world at all. That is a serious fly fisherman and not someone who dabbled in the sport because they thought fly fishing looked cool after seeing a Brad Pitt movie or an Orvis catalog photo shoot.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I have seen some great videos of guided drift boat action esp with mouse flies on the west branch but i dont count $600 guided trips esp fishing areas inacessible to most wade fishermen. I should add when i fished the west branch the water released midsummer was at times barely a trickle. So lets see some photos. It is a gorgeous river.

okaloosa

Reaction score
My vote is also Colorado for anyone considering a move. The other states like Wyoming and Montana are full and the rivers only have sunfish :)
Those moving from new york should consider Denver or Bozangelos. Teller, El Paso, Park counties of Colorado and all of Wyoming not so much;)

eastfly66

Reaction score
I don't have any pictures , I don't take a camera with me and certainly not my phone. Richard has some quality pictures of some nice fish , not sure if they were on the WB or Main Stem. I go to the WB about every 3 weeks now , the dry fly fishing is the best it's going to get around here and the river is spectacular. It's not easy fishing but very rewarding. You most likely will not agree and I have not traveled/fished out west to have an opinion but I have had several conversations with FF'ers on the Delaware who have fished extensively across the country and they all shared a common statement that the WB is the most technical dry fly water they have ever fished.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I don't have any pictures , I don't take a camera with me and certainly not my phone. Richard has some quality pictures of some nice fish , not sure if they were on the WB or Main Stem. I go to the WB about every 3 weeks now , the dry fly fishing is the best it's going to get around here and the river is spectacular. It's not easy fishing but very rewarding. You most likely will not agree and I have not traveled/fished out west to have an opinion but I have had several conversations with FF'ers on the Delaware who have fished extensively across the country and they all shared a common statement that the WB is the most technical dry fly water they have ever fished.
Seriously, that is great to hear! Such a gorgeous river. Access back in the day a bit tricky esp when flows high. So happy to hear they are managing it well now!

eastfly66

Reaction score
Seriously, that is great to hear! Such a gorgeous river. Access back in the day a bit tricky esp when flows high. So happy to hear they are managing it well now!
My impression from those who have a long history on the river is they are managing it better but still not ideal. Recently with the heavy rains they waited to the last second to start releasing water and risked a major spilling of top water. I'm not really up to speed on the politics of the river but that was my impression from those I talked with you are. I have fished the D several times over the past decades but never really focused on it and learned. Now, in my 60's I've decided it's the only river that I'm interested in fishing without getting on a plane.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I will be heading west next year , my destination is the San Juan. AZ.

okaloosa

Reaction score
If u make it to colorado let me know. As far as Richard i saw some of his Beaverkill beasts from back in the day. He doesnt count bcause i think he could catch big browns in a Florida ditch;)

stenacron

Reaction score
...I thank my lucky stars I live in the West.....
You don't experience similar conditions with the "western sulphurs" (aka Pale Morning Dun)? More/less the same species as back east (Ephemerella sp.).

I wrote an article on fishing the sulphur hatch for PA Fly Fish several years ago... as soon as anglers realize that there are multiple species of mayflies (of different sizes/habits) that make up the "sulphur hatch" and that the best trout are not eating duns off the surface - like in that video - their success goes way up. ;)

Last edited:

okaloosa

Reaction score
You don't experience similar conditions with the "western sulphurs" (aka Pale Morning Dun)... more/less the same species as back east (Ephemerella sp.).

I wrote an article on fishing the sulphur hatch for PA Fly Fish several years ago... as soon as anglers realize that there are multiple species of mayflies (of different sizes/habits) that make up the "sulphur hatch" and that the best trout are not eating duns off the surface - like in that video - their success goes way up. ;)
do you have a link to that article? I would like to read it.

falcon53

Reaction score
Yes, just checked and the link still works (first posted it in Apr 2008... how time flies): The Sulphurs are Here!
Stenacron, That is a nice article. I first saw it on another Forum. Invaria and especially Dorthea Sulphurs are a difficult hatch. The hatch lasts several months, the fish see a lot of flies, and a large percentage of hatching flies are crippled due to being a fragile species. The multiple brood get smaller with time. A good friend who is a really fine fisherman fished for a large brown that rose in the same area for 3 afternoons before he hooked up. floating nymphs, emergers with deer hair, CDC, Snowshoe, Duns with one wing down etc, Eventually got the fish to eat a dun with no tails. Sometimes the tails are almost invisible but believe it or not a tail on a fly can be detrimental to micro drag. Many Trico fisherman omit the long tails on their patterns for this same reason. If you think your good have a shot at the Sulphur hatch on smooth water, Nobody nails it all the time.