Winston vs Sage 8wt Fly Rod

pnc

Reaction score
The minnows and monsters sounds familiar. Not sure of street name, couple of blocks north of where Gandy bridge comes in. Been a few years since going. A few years since being on this site too.

flyinflight

Reaction score
Not really concerned about the wind as I have the 9 wt if it picks up. I am really just looking for something that has a softer presentation than the two faster rods I currently have without having to fork out another grand. Although if the consensus is that technology has left these rods in the dust than I will just have to suck it up and buy a more modern Winston or T&T.
I have the Winston B2X in a 10wt, while not a true saltwater rod, the B2X's will serve you well as a "softer presentation" salt rod. Rinse it well in fresh water, as I did, and you'll fill your 8wt need for a modest 300.00 (if still available). You won't confuse a B2X with a Crosscurrent, NRX+, or any fast action salt rod built for wind and distance. But, if pick your line up off the water and let it fly (no false cast) at close range sounds good, the B2X will do it. The downside, is, of course, the lack of a strong backbone and nonsalt hardware, but as stated above, you can get around that. Enjoy the salt action, whatever your decision.

pgbchamy

Reaction score
Not to change the subject, does Bill Jacksons still let you go thru the gate and cast into the park pond behind them-Caught a 8 pound bass out of there back in the nineties.

Miles813

Reaction score
Not to change the subject, does Bill Jacksons still let you go thru the gate and cast into the park pond behind them-Caught a 8 pound bass out of there back in the nineties.
I am not sure about the pond but they do let you test the rods. I will have to ask about pond testing when I go look at the Winston TMF.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Sector would be a softer presenting rod with more flex than the hot shot salts. Douglas SKY-G #8 is an even better softer presenter. But there is no reason why, with aerial turnover of your leader, a potent high performance salt rod like NRX+ for example can not allow you to make a gentle fly placement (depending on the weight of the fly of course). Splitting the difference and very light with a terrific taper is Hardy's new Zane Pro. You would ahve to really like the color to go with any Winston high line weight rod, if you must get a Winston get a WT in #'s 4 or 5.

pnc

Reaction score
A step back. . . Minnows & Monsters is on the sign. So is, On the Fly. Its on Manhattan Av. West side of Tampa. Went last weekend. Both the shops. Minnows & Monsters, and On the Fly are now one. There's a music school next door now.
Don't be fooled by the assorted tackle. It's a result of the two shops becoming one shop.
Enver, knows fly fishing. And salt water.

Miles813

Reaction score
A step back. . . Minnows & Monsters is on the sign. So is, On the Fly. Its on Manhattan Av. West side of Tampa. Went last weekend. Both the shops. Minnows & Monsters, and On the Fly are now one. There's a music school next door now.
Don't be fooled by the assorted tackle. It's a result of the two shops becoming one shop.
Enver, knows fly fishing. And salt water.
That makes sense. Enver is the man and that is where I buy my fly tying supplies. I was in there yesterday.

Reactions: pnc

pnc

Reaction score
I used to go to, On the Fly, regularly on Saturdays. To help with the fly tying classes. And for hooks when needed.
If your ever in the area and not been to it. You might check out Swann's, in Dade City. Jim Swan, is the guy that looks like Santa Claus. Behind a pile of flies. Does not have the variety of things like OTF. I go to check his used rod selection.
Walking in his door. Is like entering a time warp. Jim's quite a character.

Miles813

Reaction score
I used to go to, On the Fly, regularly on Saturdays. To help with the fly tying classes. And for hooks when needed.
If your ever in the area and not been to it. You might check out Swann's, in Dade City. Jim Swan, is the guy that looks like Santa Claus. Behind a pile of flies. Does not have the variety of things like OTF. I go to check his used rod selection.
Walking in his door. Is like entering a time warp. Jim's quite a character.
I'll check Swann's out as I live in New Tampa and Dade City isn't too far away. Thanks for the recommendation!

Reactions: pnc