Winter 2015/2016 Fly Swap

jjparson

Reaction score
Larry -

I put mine in the mail this afternoon. It should be a short trip from Ogden to Pinedale. I was going to deliver them in person and try to fish on the way over, but couldn't make it work this time. Let's get out soon.

Jake

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'm going to be down the wire. I'll finish the flies but won't get them in the mail until after the MLK Day holiday. But they'll get there by next Friday Larry, I'll tell them to put it on the fast pony!

dean_mt

Reaction score
Am I last? I'll mail them tomorrow.

The large saddle feathers I used for the "wing" were not stored properly. I don't know who shoved them in a too small bag so they were all curved along the stem. :rolleyes:

The results are paired feathers that sometime curve in opposite directions, one up and one down. I apologize that they aren't picture perfect, but once wet they will swim just fine.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Does something like this work for the group? It is sort of a rusty rat. It has been very productive for me swinging all year round. Just want to get the clearance before I get to work! Looking forward to it.

untitled_151221_0001-Edit.jpg by Jake, on Flickr
Jake: Your streamers arrived in the mail, very nice work, the look awesome!

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Forgot to upload yesterday

Back hook- size 12 wolley booger
Front hook- size 8 wolley booger
Sam: Your Woolly Buggers came in the mail today, they look great, congrats!

jjparson

Reaction score
Glad they made it Larry. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone's work.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
This is my streamer. I am half done and running low on perfectly matched badger saddle feathers. All the flies will be similar but not exactly the same, once wet you'll never know the difference. :)

John: Your streamers arrived today, they look fantastic, congrats on such fine work! Would you post up your fly recipe when you get a chance, thanks.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Thanks Larry.
Here is the recipe, and I added it to the original post with the image too.

Hook: Daiichi 1750, size #4
Body: gold mylar
Rib: med. copper wire
Underwing: grey squirrel tail
Overwing: Badger saddle
Throat: red saddle hackle fibers

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Mine leave tomorrow, priority mail.
They're all tied up.
Eunan: Your Woolly worm's arrived in the mail today, beautiful work, congrats! Seven days for priority mail, that big storm really put the brakes on the USPS. :D

Note: That is the last of the streamers to arrive, we had four tiers drop out of the fly swap this time, I will get them sorted and packaged up and headed back to you guys on Monday. Thanks everyone who participated in the swap, these streamers are all very beautiful work.

jgentile

Reaction score
That is the last of the streamers to arrive, we had four tiers drop out of the fly swap this time,
#kindofsad.... spent a more than a few bucks on materials for 12 streamers. I hope in the future there is a better end result. I don't think I will participate in another swap.

dean_mt

Reaction score
It is bummer and I share your frustration, Joe. I definitely had to push to finish my flies on time.

But I believe everyone that sign ups is well intended, and it is impossible to make people follow through. Larry will send your "extras" back to you so there really isn't any loss. I like your flies and know I've caught fish with one from a previous swap. I'm looking forward to getting this package, it's almost streamer fishing season.

honyuk96

Reaction score
I don't come here often, and not to beat a dead horse but.... When folks drop out of a swap withput a very legit reason, they should be banned from further swapping. It's not fair to all involved.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't come here often, and not to beat a dead horse but.... When folks drop out of a swap withput a very legit reason, they should be banned from further swapping. It's not fair to all involved.
I agree, one guy had a very good medical reason for dropping out, one said he just forgot and the last two I never heard back from them, very frustrating.

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
Looking on the bright side -- I've enjoyed seeing everybody's work shaping up over the last month or two, and I'm looking forward to my fly package.

jgentile

Reaction score
I believe everyone that sign ups is well intended, and it is impossible to make people follow through. Larry will send your "extras" back to you so there really isn't any loss. I like your flies and know I've caught fish with one from a previous swap. I'm looking forward to getting this package, it's almost streamer fishing season.
I agree, and maybe it is a blessing in disguise as I want Larry to donate my streamers to PHW and CFR. This way the get a few more!!!! Not a bad thing at all.

Don't think I posted a pic of mine, but here's what I sent out!
Sal, I really dig that Brahma hen collar. Just got me a cape and your work serves as inspiration. Maybe some nice soft hackles from up around the neck are in order.