Winter Fly Swap 2019

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I truly believe fly swaps brought this forum's members a little closer in the past. I do miss that. I am going to make the "rules" as simple as possible to encourage participation.

-Plan on tying 12 cold weather trout flies no matter what. A simple chrono variation is more than fine.

Hopefully we get 12 participants. If not no biggie. We only get six then maybe you get two of each fly. No stress, we'll work it out.

-I hope to receive all the flies by the first week of December, I'll get them out well before Christmas.

-Winter flies are tiny and pretty durable. You can mail them in most any envelope if you add a bit of cardboard so the mail sorter won't shred them. Keep it easy.

-To the brand new tyers, please don't be intimidated to participate. I remember that time. A bead and some thread on a small hook and you just tied a winter fly with a shot at being successful on the water. We'll help you name the fly later lol. :)

-You'll send the flies to me and add a dollar or two for postage so I can forward them. I am not going to worry about the pennies but I will send them out in a padded envelope.

-Maybe a streamer or a panfish fly swap after the first of the year? We'll do something for the guys that never sniff snow. :)

Post it up here if you are in on the winter trout fly swap. I intend to try to tie a very tiny scud.

MCHammer

Reaction score
Count me in. Maybe this will get me out of the tying doldrums. A dozen of the same pattern, correct? Not sure yet what I'll tie.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Count me in. Maybe this will get me out of the tying doldrums. A dozen of the same pattern, correct? Not sure yet what I'll tie.
Yes Bob, a dozen of the same pattern is generally what we do. If you get a chance you post up a pic of the fly you are tying. It's not imperative if you don't. After a few positive responses, I'll start a list here and you'll see how this rolls.

smoke33

Reaction score
This is awesome and I would love to participate, especially for the steelhead flies since I am getting more into steelhead and need to get some. Unfortunately, I tried the tying thing and it’s just not my thing so I will just watch you guys. Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoJer

Reaction score
Good on ya, ia_trouter! I enjoyed the swaps I was in years ago (for the most part). My bench is still packed from my move and is waiting for the room to be finished. Perhaps I'll be up and running for a spring swap.

Would really like to hear the dope on the Peregrine mystery.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
This is a great idea and I would love to participate, count me in!
Great to have you Johnny, I don't believe we have conversed before. We are off to a slow start, but if we keep the thread bumped perhaps we should be able to come up with enough participants. When you decide what you plan to tie just post it here and I will update the list. It's OK to change your mind. For now I'll list anyone as "to be determined" until they decide.

1. ia_trouter- scud
2. MCHammer- TBD
3. johnnymaltby- Shop Vac

Last edited:

johnnymaltby

Reaction score
I will tie up some Shop Vac's but would also be happy to tie some Gnat's if the list needs a few dries. Ia_Trouter, I will defer to you as to what the spread should be.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I will tie up some Shop Vac's but would also be happy to tie some Gnat's if the list needs a few dries. Ia_Trouter, I will defer to you as to what the spread should be.
That sounds good Johnny. I'll put you down for Shop Vacs for now. We normally tie the same fly for all participants to keep it simple. If it starts looking like it won't fill up I may tie a second fly but hopefully we'll get 12 participants. The first swap or two of the winter season usually go pretty well. I'd be willing to tie a second fly if it became necessary.

MCHammer

Reaction score
Great to have you Johnny, I don't believe we have conversed before. We are off to a slow start, but if we keep the thread bumped perhaps we should be able to come up with enough participants. When you decide what you plan to tie just post it here and I will update the list. It's OK to change your mind. For now I'll list anyone as "to be determined" until they decide.

1. ia_trouter- scud
2. MCHammer- TBD
I'll be tying a parachute midge emerger. Photo to come.
BTW, it's Mike not Bob.

grifmxc

Reaction score
It’s been a while since I’ve see a swap, count me in, I’ll do a Barr’s Emerger

Matt

ia_trouter

Reaction score
It’s been a while since I’ve see a swap, count me in, I’ll do a Barr’s Emerger

Matt

Welcome aboard. It's been a couple years for me as well, and I seriously ran out of all my favorite trout flies this summer so it's time for this.

1. ia_trouter- scud
2. MCHammer- parachute midge emerger
4. grifmxc- Barr's emerger