Winter Fly Swap 2019

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Hi,

I’d like to participate. My fly would be the euro early black stone nymph in a size 14. That is sort of a winter fly even though the actual emergence of Capnia iisn’t until later in Feb.

I will get busy and send them as soon as I receive your address.

Best wishes,

Don

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have to work the next few days but I'll catch up on the thread with your patterns when I can. Looks like we have 4 more opening for tyers.

1. ia_trouter- scud
2. MCHammer- parachute midge emerger
3. johnnymaltby- Shop Vac
4. grifmxc- Barr's emerger
5. r reese- worm
6. flukefly
7. strmanglr
8. sparsegraystubble

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Need to know where to send to.
You guys are WAY too efficient for me. :) After we get all the participants signed up I will send out a group PM with my email to all of you. Otherwise my forgetful self is going to miss somebody trying to figure out if I sent out 12 separate PM's or not.

My mother asked me to order something for my birthday so I got a magnifier light. Inexpensive but pretty nice I think. I'm sending all you guys size 38 flies. OK probably not. :)

ia_trouter

Reaction score
1. ia_trouter- scud
5. r reese- bead head worm
6. flukefly-Adams Dry
7. strmanglr- Shimmer nymph
8. sparsegraystubble-Euro early black stone nymph
9. Denny- mole fly
10. DonW- black copper john
11. Wood Paddler- red/silver midge

I'll double check and make sure I didn't miss anyone but this swap appears to be only one tyer short of full. When it's full I'll send my address out and some basic instructions. I'll let you know now I don't need them FEDEXED overnight lol. I am going to ask you to enclose return postage for your flies in a padded envelope. Close is good enough. If I happen to lose a few bucks overall in the postage thing so be it. Nobody asked me to do this. I happen to believe swaps are good for forum morale.

I've participated in a half dozen swaps and been in charge a time or two. Here are the keys to a happy swap IMO.

-Try to meet the deadline which we haven't even specifically set yet. Don't be "that guy" that disappears and doesn't communicate for a week after his flies should have been mailed. Can't mail them out until I have them all.

-I made the swap subject vague for a reason. Just have fun and send a dozen of the same fly. It's OK to change your mind if you discover you are short an ingredient or whatever reason.

-If you are good with a camera post up your fly any time. Fly photography is not my strong suit.

-Feel free to chat this thread up now and then. It's a good reminder to all to get tying lol.

-Did you miss out on this swap and want to suggest the next fly type for the next swap? Go ahead and chat it up here. Sounds like there is early interest in streamers? That could work next month. So could panfish flies. Everybody doesn't live in Montana so you might get a SM Bass streamer in the mix. I am not going to lock the rules down too tight. I've learned that just makes it hard to get a dozen participants.

-Have some extra but decent trout flies? Throw them in your envelope, I will gather then and forward to Larry McNerney for Casting for Recovery. We've done that on the past as part of these swaps. Wouldn't have to be "winter" flies of course as ZCFR is a fair weather event.

Thanks so much for participating! You guys are great. We'll do more swaps if there is an interest. In the past, 2-3 swaps is about all we can manage without running out of enthusiasm before spring hits, but I am cool with running these if everyone cooperates. Let's try for three. I'll need your input.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
This is just a suggestion and no big deal to me either way, but if you got a late person after you had 12 of us, you could expand it to 13 tyers if you wanted. That would just mean that each of us would not get one or our own flies back which should be no big deal. I’m assuming that when we tie our 12 that we are probably doing extras for our own boxes and wouldn’t care if we didn’t get one of our own back.

But that might make handling all these flies more complicated for you. I only mention it in case you are faced with telling someone they can’t participate.

Don

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Going to move this to the appropriate forum (General Fly Tying Discussion) and hoping that everyone posted is subscribed to the thread.

grifmxc

Reaction score
BWO Barr’s Emerger

Hook: lightning strike SE1 sz: 20
Thread: UTC 70 blue dun
Shuck: brown saddle hackle fibers
Body: superfine dubbing - brown olive
Thorax: superfine dubbing - Adams gray
Wing case/legs: DNA frosty fish fibers - silver gray
Flash: Christmas shop tinsel(hobby lobby) - winter white

Just let me know if you want me to tag them and where to mail them.

-Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ia_trouter

Reaction score
If you still need one more, Kathy said she’s willing to make her size 12 black wooly bugger.

Barry
Does Kathy live at your address by chance? :) I'll put her down.

1. ia_trouter- scud
5. r reese- bead head worm
6. flukefly-Adams Dry
7. strmanglr- Shimmer nymph
8. sparsegraystubble-Euro early black stone nymph
9. Denny- mole fly
10. DonW- black copper john
11. Wood Paddler- red/silver midge
12. Kathy- wooly bugger

The swap is now full and I have PM'd instructions to all. I'd appreciate a "message received" PM so I can confirm we are all communicating.

Last edited:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I think I just wasted time typing not one, but two separate attempts at getting the fly swap instructions to you. Probably not authorized to send to ten members at once. Ugg! But I'll get it figured out. It's not an emergency. Keep tying for now. :)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dewayne

I made this thread a sticky so everyone can find it easier. Thanks for stepping up and hosting this swap!